Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 2400 for color portrait photographer?  (Read 3591 times)

adam_k

epson 2400 for color portrait photographer?
« on: July 06, 2006, 05:57:56 pm »

Hey folks,

im shopping for a new printer and am looking at the epson 2400. I know that it has some attractive features for the printing black and whites, but is it overkill for a color portrait shooter? just wondering its benefits vs the 1800. Any other suggestions?

I'd like to stay with epson printers due to the success i've had with them in the past.

thanks

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 05:55:44 pm »

The 2400 makes excellent color prints out of the box, with quite good profiles available on Epson's website. The 1800 reputedly has somewhat better saturation for neon colors and provides a "gloss optimizer" to minimize bronzing, but these features aren't very relevant for portraits. The 2400 will print happily on matte or fine art papers and as noted also produces really excellent black & white prints with the native Epson driver.
On the downside, the 2400 burns through ink cartridges at about US $14 retail each, and the ink costs become a killer if you're making a lot of large prints. In a production environment the much lower ink costs for the Epson 4800 will quickly cover the 3x higher purchase price.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:56:23 pm by Geoff Wittig »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 07:05:52 pm »

The 2400 makes excellent color prints out of the box, with quite good profiles available on Epson's website. The 1800 reputedly has somewhat better saturation for neon colors and provides a "gloss optimizer" to minimize bronzing, but these features aren't very relevant for portraits. The 2400 will print happily on matte or fine art papers and as noted also produces really excellent black & white prints with the native Epson driver.
On the downside, the 2400 burns through ink cartridges at about US $14 retail each, and the ink costs become a killer if you're making a lot of large prints. In a production environment the much lower ink costs for the Epson 4800 will quickly cover the 3x higher purchase price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto the above. I had the 2200 and just upgraded to the 2400 about 5 months ago. The 2400 makes great prints right out of the box printing directly from Photoshop CS2.

I just upgrade to Image Print v6.1 and now I can use this to print to my 2400. The results are slightly better than the native Epson drivers with more detail in the shadows.

You can't go wrong with Epson printers.

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

ddolde

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:30:43 pm »

Yep sucks ink like a pig.  I'd never buy another R2400.  Get the 4800.
Pages: [1]   Go Up