Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7R II and Landscape Lens  (Read 7834 times)

emreguclu

• http://500px.com/emreguclu
Re: Sony A7R II and Landscape Lens
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:51 pm »

16-35 zeiss f4 is a great lense. Great color and contrast. Loxia 21 is even better especially in corner sharpness. I am nowadays using loxia 21 almost all the time with some personal preferences;

1) Prime lenses push me to seek for alternate compositions. In zoom I tend to change the focal range to find a composition. If I realize I tend to do this I of course change my position but sometimes you just dont realize and stay at your position and just play with the focal length.

2) Loxia 21 is much more compact and also great for street & urban photography.

3) I would also consider Milvus 15 mm with a Nikon to FE adapter. Nikon version of Milvuses have aperture Rings. (Loxia also does have).

It may sound again a personal preference but I really like using aperture rings, I even cant think off a lense without it even though its electronoical.

4) There's also chaaper but yet great options like Rokinon / Samyang 24 1.4 good

If I was to start a new kit I would go with one the following options.

a) the 15mm Milvus, 21 mm Loxia and 50 mm Loxia and then 100mm Zeiss Makro-Planar (Prime Options).
b) 16-35 f4, 24-70 f4, 70-200 f4 (zoom options - lighter & cheaper and does the job great).

HTH

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 03:09:11 pm »

FWIW, I use the Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D on my Sony A7M2 with a Nikon<->Sony E adapter and it delivers great results. A huge value for money. So if you already have good Nikon lenses, consider using them with an adapter as well.

PS: I have ordered the Commlite CM-ENF-E1 AF Lens Adapter For Nikon F Lens to Sony E-Mount A7II A7R II. It will provide AF when using the modern Nikon lenses and Exif info for the whole Nikon family. Comparable to the metabones adapter for Canon to Sony.

Last year in Yosemite, I used a 20 mm on my Nikon 98% of the time.  This year in Eastern Sierra's, I used a 24-70 and a 20 mm evenly distributed.  I think what will happen is I will get both and use one or the other based on my mood.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 10:04:17 am »

I find my copy of the sony 16-35 FE pretty good from 16-28 but I won't use it at 35mm.

However the lens is terrible for flare if the sun is in the picture and I get huge semi-circular flare rings. I'm actually considering replacing it due to this issue. Either primes or maybe the canon 16-35 f/4 (I still need to research options).

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 02:31:23 pm »

I find my copy of the sony 16-35 FE pretty good from 16-28 but I won't use it at 35mm.

However the lens is terrible for flare if the sun is in the picture and I get huge semi-circular flare rings. I'm actually considering replacing it due to this issue. Either primes or maybe the canon 16-35 f/4 (I still need to research options).
I have shot directly into the sun with my Zeiss 16-35, and have been fortunate to not have flair rings. Here is an example.
Best....
Dave G

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:01 pm »

I found the flare unpredictable so I did some testing to get a better handle on it. It starts being a problem at 24mm and is worst at 16mm. If the sun is centered, you get a horrible 360 ring on the image. As you move the sun away from the center, I get 2 crescents on opposite sides of the image. If you think about a rule-of-thirds grid, the flare moves off the sensor once you position the sun just past the 1/3 mark toward the edge of the frame.

I think flare is also much worse if you have any kind of filter on the lens. I didn't test this systematically though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:57:38 pm by sbay »

flashfredrikson

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 05:31:57 am »

I have the Loxia 21 for my A7RII and it is a really really great lens for landscape. But be aware that on the Loxias the iris does not open up for focussing, so getting critical focus is impossible if the lens is stopped down. Not a problem for landscape. I also have the Loxia 35 and this one is nowhere near the 21, not a great lens imho.
I really like the Sony 55 1.8, I think this one is on par with the loxia 21. Great edge to edge sharpness, small and light.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up