Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Remembrance  (Read 498 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
In Remembrance
« on: November 05, 2016, 05:57:29 am »

El Alamein Memorial Fountain
Sydney, New South Wales

There are flowers they say at El Alamein;
Yes, flowers in the minefields now.
So those that come to view that vacant scene,
Where death remains and agony has been
Will halt beside the rusty minefield wires
and find there - flowers.

John Jarmain (1911 – 1944)

For a reading of the full and unedited two minute poem, go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8uAJ_7VQg

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: In Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:10:52 am »

Wow. Peacock feathers. And the poem, powerful reminder. Thanks for sharing this, Dave.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: In Remembrance
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 03:57:13 pm »

Wow. Peacock feathers. And the poem, powerful reminder. Thanks for sharing this, Dave.

Thanks Dave  ;)

I didn't realise this image looked like a close up of a peacock feather until you mentioned it Dave, although I can see it now, but it is in fact a picture of the El Alamein Memorial Fountain in Sydney.

Just got back after spending six weeks on a grand tour of Australia and New Zealand's North and South islands, but coming home was hard work, as it was a six hour drive to the airport in Christchurch on the South Island of New Zealand, then a three hour flight back to Sydney Australia, then after only a one and half stopover, it was back on board for a fourteen hour flight to Dubai, then after yet another short one and half hour stopover, it was back on board again for a seven hour flight through to to Glasgow, then a four hour drive to home and straight into bed - and I am now suffering under the mother of all jet lags  :(

Here is a tip for anyone thinking of going on a similar antipodean photographic tour, be prepared to do most of your work surrounded by a thick forest of selfie sticks, the Church of the Good Shepard being one of the most densely infested areas I have ever seen, followed a close second by the Moeraki boulders, which have also been worn shiny by young men jumping up and down on them in front of their girlfriends, as well as people carving their names onto them.

But still very much worth the time and the effort and the worse dose of jet lag ever  ;)

P.S. Thanks Slobodan  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up