Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens recommendations for Everest Base Camp Trek  (Read 9977 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Lens recommendations for Everest Base Camp Trek
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 05:43:56 am »

I am sure there is a lot more, I was just commenting about the course described by the OP.

We had in fact done the Gokyo -> Chola -> EBC trek over 19 days. Even the Chola pass was, I thought, fairly easy if you forget that you are above 5,000m. That is in good weather. Snow would obviously change everything and you'd need some basic mountaineering equipment.

Cheers,
Bernard

ears

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 07:14:28 am »

So, still agonising over lens and camera choice.  Definitely a fuji xt2.  I have been considering, 18-55, 55-200.  or 14mm, 18-135mm, or 18-55, 90mm.

Is the 90mm long enough?  I would be concerned that the 18-135mm is not sharp enough, but it is a WR lens and an almost single lens option.

Thanks for all of the walking advice.  So far we have decided to join a group for ease of planning due to time constraints.  A standard EBC walk. 

Ears

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:32 am »

Another option... is having one camera body with a telephoto zoom and then another small body with a wide lens that is your most comfortable view.  For example, ive traveled with telephoto before, and then just carried an X100 with me.  It weighs less than most lenses and is smaller than most cameras.  And it leaves you with a backup camera just in case.  I like having a second camera just in case, especially when im a long ways from a recovery method. 

Having a second battery setup is sometimes annoying unless you can line things up right.  Then again, a couple extra batteries has never that much of an issue for me so I don't need to carry chargers.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Petrus

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 11:33:34 am »

So, still agonising over lens and camera choice.  Definitely a fuji xt2.  I have been considering, 18-55, 55-200.  or 14mm, 18-135mm, or 18-55, 90mm.

14mm and 18-135mm gets my vote. 2 lenses are safer than one. You'll need something wide anyway, for villages, monasteries, etc.

ears

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 06:20:25 am »

hi Guys, thanks for all of the information regarding the camera system and trekking in Nepal.  I am now a proud owner of the x-t2 and 18-135mm  (wrapped up under the Christmas tree) and have booked a trip for next october.  I will also cary the 14mm lens also.  We will be going with a trekking company and the training has begun.

Thanks for all of your help!

Ears
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up