Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 - roll paper size for panoramas  (Read 2846 times)

unesco

P800 - roll paper size for panoramas
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:59:21 am »

Hi all,
I have received my P800 with roll support to join my 3880 and try to make a workflow for panorama printing. The major issue is setting proper page size. All panoramas have different page length since are stitched in different ways. The question is, how to smartly set the page length (width will be 17") to make it floating without setting it each time exclusively for given panorama?
It is especially important when I would like to print in a series from roll. When I set e.g. 100 cm length, and panorama is 85 cm then the printer leaves blank space at the end, moves paper forward to match 100 cm and prints dashed line to mark the end of the paper.
Ideally I would like the printer to automatically adapt with page size (length) to what I want to print.
Any smart ways to reach/avoid it appreciated.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: P800 - roll paper size for panoramas
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:44:06 am »

If you use Windows that kind of jobs is easily done with Qimage Ultimate, very flexible on sizes, borders etc. It has a feature where the print page length is set to the image(s) length so reduces paper waste. If you have a Mac it can still be done with Qimage Ultimate but it gets a bit more complicated to have a Windows app run on the Mac.

ddisoftware.com
Remove White Space at bottom of page

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

ax

• Szymon Aksienionek
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:58:11 am »

Check the Mirage for Epson. This software makes printing on Epsons easy. You can try full functionality of the Mirage for 14 days of trial period:

http://mirage.dinax.de/Downloads_EN.html
Kind regards
Szymon Aksienionek

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:44:24 am »

You may also want to check whether PrinTao 8 also allows you to do this - I'm not sure as I don't have that requirement, but perhaps worth your while looking into.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

unesco

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:18:56 am »

Than you for the answers up to now. I forgot to write that I am on Win7.
So it looks like it is hard to do it via Epson driver...
I was considering Qimage some time ago. Didn't think about Mirage because of its price, but if it also would give better print quality than the driver it would be an option - in fact I do not like color images from P800 compared to 3880 except of blacks. It could be questions of profiles...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:01:26 am »

Colour quality from the P800 is AT LEAST as good as it was from the 3880 if not better in some respects, so yes, if you're getting inferior results from it there is likely a problem of either settings or profiles or both.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

unesco

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:30:32 am »

As for now, I expected visible improvement of P800 over 3880.
Settings are ok.
Definitely blacks are much better, I love them on Fine Art B&W. As for color, all paper vendor factory profiles for P800 I have seen for dozens of papers have narower gamut than 3880. It is ok for Holiday Pictures but for Fine Art printers I cannot be satisfied. Also all my tries with Cmunki and xrite software as well as Argyll give some worse results than the same for 3880. Quite a lot of nonlinearities, especially in greens and other saturated colors. Hard to achieve deep blues. Problems with Epson Traditional Photo Paper - I will write another thread.
Printer calibrated with ColorBase2.
I will give a try to iSis next week...

ax

• Szymon Aksienionek
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:32:07 am »

Colour quality from the P800 is AT LEAST as good as it was from the 3880 if not better in some respects, so yes, if you're getting inferior results from it there is likely a problem of either settings or profiles or both.

I can only agree with Mark.

Mirage engine is based on Epson SDK so color reproduction is the same quality as with Epson driver. Great thing is Adobe CMM included in the Mirage, allowing you to work with soft proofing on the fly. The true advantage of Mirage is easiness of print setup, especially when you want to use roll paper. It's not cheap software, but the price is worth all the features. Of course only if you like to use your printer for making prints, rather than making setups ;). It allows you to focus on printing, saving lots of time spent in Photoshop print and driver settings.
Kind regards
Szymon Aksienionek

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:41:30 am »

Than you for the answers up to now. I forgot to write that I am on Win7.
So it looks like it is hard to do it via Epson driver...
I was considering Qimage some time ago. Didn't think about Mirage because of its price, but if it also would give better print quality than the driver it would be an option - in fact I do not like color images from P800 compared to 3880 except of blacks. It could be questions of profiles...

With Qimage Ultimate you will still use the Epson driver so no odd experiments there. Extrapolation, intelligent print sharpening, application color management etc is all done in QU and the quality of the features is among the best around. Price could be way higher for what you get. Just a long time happy user.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up