Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you tell older and newer versions of Hasselblad HC and HCD lenses apart?  (Read 7035 times)

The View

Several lenses have, as it seems, and older and a newer version, like the Hasselblad HC 50mm.

On eBay, many don't seem to post if it's the older or the newer version they are selling.

Is there a source of information where you can look up the version of the lens by its MPN / unit number?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

NickT

There are two II lenses. The 50II and the 120II. I would think that anyone selling a version II would be sure to mention it.

Any brand new lens (orange square) will be a II.

Hope that helps.

hasselbladfan

Ask a picture of the lens.

The (better) II version has a II printed in white next to 50mm.

jvpictures

also the 150 mm f/3.2 comes in 2 versions. The newer one is marked with a "N" on the filter thread.

delfalex

The newer one is marked with a "N" on the filter thread.

Which suffers a lot less from Yellow/Blue fringing

tcdeveau

The newer lenses that sync at 1/2000th (on the H6D bodies) also have an orange square next to the "HC" or "HCD" on the lens barrel

The View

There are two II lenses. The 50II and the 120II. I would think that anyone selling a version II would be sure to mention it.

Any brand new lens (orange square) will be a II.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Nick!
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

also the 150 mm f/3.2 comes in 2 versions. The newer one is marked with a "N" on the filter thread.

Thanks. With "on the filter thread" you mean the circular imprint on the metal part surrounding the front element?

jvpictures

Thanks. With "on the filter thread" you mean the circular imprint on the metal part surrounding the front element?

check image (sorry from iPhone...)

cmarker

I also ask the seller for the serial number to find out the year it was made.
http://hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTDating.aspx

Does anyone know whether the 100mm HCD has different versions?

delfalex

Does anyone know whether the 100mm HCD has different versions?

AFAIK The HC100mm is one of the original H line lenses, with no new version other than the faster 1/2000th Shutter. HCD[igital] lenses extend to cover the 24, 28 & 35-90mm (zoom), focal lengths. HC150(mm) had a 2nd version: "N". With the advent of of the H4D 200ms, Hasselblad updated two focal lengths; 50 & 120 with a version II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Livsey

I also ask the seller for the serial number to find out the year it was made.
http://hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTDating.asp

The year of manufacture is less relevant than the number of shutter activations which can be accessed from the H body menu when the lens is attached.

landscapephoto

AFAIK The HC100mm is one of the original H line lenses, with no new version other than the faster 1/2000th Shutter. HCD[igital] lenses extend to cover the 24, 28 & 35-90mm (zoom), focal lengths. HC150(mm) had a 2nd version: "N". With the advent of of the H4D 200ms, Hasselblad updated two focal lengths; 50 & 120 with a version II.

I would need to check, but the H system was introduced at Photokina 2002 with the following lenses:
HC 35mm f/3.5
HC 80mm f/2.8
HC150mm f/3.2 (non-N)
HC 50-110mm f/3.5-f/4.5 zoom
converter 1.7X

The following year (2003), these lenses were introduced:
HC 50mm f/3.5 (version I)
HC 120mm f/4 (version I)
HC 210mm f/4

I am not sure when the HC 100mm f/2.2 and HC 300mm f/3.5 were introduced, probably 2003 or 2004.

Later, the following lenses were introduced:
HCD 28 (2006)
HC 150-N (2007)
HCD 35-90 and HTS (2008)
HC 50-II and HC 120-II (2010)
HCD 24 (2012)

Apparently, the optical differences between the HC150 and HC150N are minimal. From this post at the time "The Hasselblad HC 150mm f/3.2N designates a mid-production change to the optical design of the HC 150, pretaining to the zero-lead initiative in optical and electronic designs coming out of Europe. The optical design itself is practically identical, however the glass / optical formulation(s) are different. Physically the lens is identical to the earlier version, with the exception of the "N" designation."

The View

check image (sorry from iPhone...)

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up