Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography Workshops in Midwest?  (Read 12219 times)

Paul Sumi

Photography Workshops in Midwest?
« on: July 05, 2006, 06:25:25 pm »

Being "the photographer" of the family, I was asked about workshops for one of the in-laws who is getting more serious about photography.  He has basic photo experience and is interested in learning more about general and travel photography.

If anyone has experience with any photo workshops in the U.S. Midwest, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

mbutler

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:15:52 pm »

Hi Paul,

I'll throw out one idea--the Peninsula Art School in Door County, Wisconsin. You're probably too late for this year, though. Landscape photographer Daniel Anderson often hosts a January weekend workshop up there. I've done that one and I've never been colder in my life. Remarkable scenery, though. They get going again in earnest from May through August.

Hope that helps a little...

Mike

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:44 pm »

I'll throw out one idea--the Peninsula Art School in Door County, Wisconsin.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Mike, I'll look into this.  As for another, John Shaw's weekend workshops are also frequently mentioned and I was wondering if anyone has been to one of these?

Paul

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:10:15 am »

http://www.imagesunique.com/meet.html
Very personable  they do workshops in Ohio along with The Smoky Mtns and other more exotic locations.

http://www.natureworkshops.com/
This company also does workshops in the midwest.  They have classroom time and plenty of assistance in the field while shooting.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 01:03:16 pm »

Larry,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into them.

Paul

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:00:17 pm »

Thanks, Mike, I'll look into this.  As for another, John Shaw's weekend workshops are also frequently mentioned and I was wondering if anyone has been to one of these?

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I attended a John Shaw weekend a few years ago(early 90's) and really enjoyed it.   He covers a lot in the way of nature and the like, as that's his specialty. But a good portion was on exposure, which I found very helpful. This was before his switch to digital, and would like to attend his weekend seminar when it comes around this fall, as he spends the second day on the computer side of things. The seminar is all in a classroom type of setting(hotel or some such venue), and everything is shown on a screen, with John there explaining/lecturing. The topics are broken down by subject matter in 60-90 minute blocks of time. John encouraged questions and tried to answer all who asked. He also spoke on the business side of things, and you understand very quickly, that he treats what he does not just as a passion for photographing nature, but that what he does is indeed a serious business. I picked up a lot of info and changed the way I approached how I photographed(more serious) and all in all a very enjoyable weekend.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »

Being "the photographer" of the family, I was asked about workshops for one of the in-laws who is getting more serious about photography.  He has basic photo experience and is interested in learning more about general and travel photography.

If anyone has experience with any photo workshops in the U.S. Midwest, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul, I am not sure if you are looking for General Photography workshops or specifically DSLR Photography Workshops. Considering you are posting on this board, it may very well be the latter. If that is the case, Jack Graham and I are offering a DSLR Boot Camp next March 22-25 in Bath, Ohio. This may be of interest...

[a href=\"http://www.kulon.net/dp/pdf/DSLR_boot_camp_flyer_01.pdf]DSLR Boot Camp[/url]

Let me know if you (or anyone else) has an interest.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 06:12:35 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b
Pages: [1]   Go Up