Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop crashes when click print  (Read 4623 times)

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
Photoshop crashes when click print
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:07:08 pm »

Hope this is the place for this.

Computer: Late 2012 27" iMac

Operating system: Sierra

App: Photoshop CS6

Printer: Epson 4900

Photoshop crashes 99% of the time when I hit print.
Just spent three parts of hour with the execrable Adobe chat "support." They admit it's a known issue and promise that the engineers are working on a fix, though the support person veered off into blaming Apple at the end, when I said I hoped the fix would apply to CS6, not just CC.

Meanwhile, my business is in stasis.

Farmer

Re: Photoshop crashes when click print
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 11:20:58 pm »

Did it work before you upgraded to Sierra?
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:21:51 pm »

Sorry to hear your business is affected. In truth and in fact these days, especially if one has money depending on it, not a good idea to be an early adopter of new software versions coming from either Apple or Adobe. We have unfortunately come to appreciate that waiting a few months for the dust to settle on any new release from these companies would be prudent. If everything was working well for you before the Sierra upgrade, perhaps an idea to roll-back a version and just wait.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

RPark

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:36:19 am »

Both Photoshop and Lightroom have been very unstable lately -- so i thought I'd try Sierra. Obviously that was a mistake. I have waited a while before updating, though i usually wait much longer.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:13 am »

Both Photoshop and Lightroom have been very unstable lately -- so i thought I'd try Sierra. Obviously that was a mistake. I have waited a while before updating, though i usually wait much longer.

My most stable Platform was 10.6.8 + photoshop adobe CS5

since i do not use the latest gadgets of the new systems i try not to move on- but that is hard.
Apple makes it impossible to install old systems and old software.
My solution is to make an image disk of a new installed system and re-use that. ( the only way to do it i find)
Currently i am on Mavericks 10.9.5 and photoshop CS6- that works good and the system still gets some support from Apple.
Still Photoshop CS6 is not as stable - it has conflicts with the Apple system and freezes from time to time.
During 10.9 Apple even changed the filesystem/ formatting system of harddisks (HFS+ to Core Storage) without notice! I run into problems because of that.
Nobody but Apple knows exactly how it works.
I cannot partition my disk anymore in the simple straightforward old way
I try to stay away from the adobe CC as long as possible. The idea that i am not allowed to open my files later on without payment to adobe puts me off

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:01:47 am »

............... The idea that i am not allowed to open my files later on without payment to adobe puts me off

This is a misconception. As long as you have any non-subscription application from Adobe or other developer that can open your raw files, TIFFs or PSDs, you can use those. What you may miss in those files are the image adjustments made with particular features in the CC versions that may not be supported in your perpetual license versions. This, however, is far less dire than your idea of not being able to open them at all unless you pay fees to Adobe.

On the subject of paying fees to Adobe, the practical fact of the matter is that the LR+PS Photography Package monthly rental cost at the end of 18 months is considerably cheaper than we used to pay for the 18 month upgrade cycles of both applications; therefore for those of us who do update sooner or later, this CC plan is actually economic. It also allows flexibility to provide new features or fix important bugs in a more timely manner than rigid release cycles would have allowed. While I too had some concerns about the rental option when it first appeared, I adopted the Photography package when it was first offered and I think it was a good decision. Regardless of the plan, these days if one is at all risk-averse it makes sense not to be an early adopter of upgrades from either Apple or Adobe, but to choose one's timing prudently.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:13 am »

It also allows flexibility to provide new features or fix important bugs in a more timely manner than rigid release cycles would have allowed.
Nice idea, but that doesn't seem to have actually happened in practice.
As a bystander I see just as many bugs reported in the software and fixes seem to get resolved in the same sort of time spans that minor updates were released in the past.

I'm pretty happy having stepped off the relentless upgrade cycle and have the money in my wallet with no commitments. I can't see anything significant that's been added that I might miss.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:16:45 am »

Nice idea, but that doesn't seem to have actually happened in practice.
As a bystander I see just as many bugs reported in the software and fixes seem to get resolved in the same sort of time spans that minor updates were released in the past.

I'm pretty happy having stepped off the relentless upgrade cycle and have the money in my wallet with no commitments. I can't see anything significant that's been added that I might miss.

Important bug fixes yes. Timing of new feature availability differs more between the options. Each to his/her own of course depending on what you do, but I've been finding the improvements to overall performance and new or improved tools compelling enough to keep me on board.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »

…On the subject of paying fees to Adobe…

Sorry for bringing that up again...  completely off topic also...
let's just say i do not agree.  ;)

on topic;

My idea is that new is not always better, but sometimes simply worse.
I love the rock solid software made by 'one man Bands'

like :

ptGui

NeoFinder

Iridient Developer

In these cases the author really knows the software from A-Z .

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Benny Profane

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:25:23 am »

Back to the OP's issue, I, too, have had this problem after installing Sierra, but more like 60% of the time. I am a CC user. Fortunately, I do not have a business that has been affected by it.

RPark

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 01:56:33 am »

The nightmare continues ....

I got a phone call this morning -- followup to my "chat" with Adobe "support." He told me to uninstall Photoshop and re-download the app. I followed his instructions. When it came to reinstall Photoshop, no go. It wanted me to download some other thing -- which was unavailable! After threading the Adobe labyrinth that is set up to avoid contact, I once more managed to establish "chat" with India, only to be told I was out of luck -- my CS6, which I paid more than $700 for was no longer supported. So now I have no Photoshop at all. My business is at a standstill. My only option is to use my Mac Time Machine to try to go back to something that sort of worked, though both Photoshop and Lightroom have been crashing constantly for the past 6 months.

Adobe is the absolutely worst company I have ever had the misfortune to waste my money on.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to this fraudulent disaster that threatens to put me out of business?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:19:12 am »

The nightmare continues ....

I got a phone call this morning -- followup to my "chat" with Adobe "support." He told me to uninstall Photoshop and re-download the app. I followed his instructions. When it came to reinstall Photoshop, no go. It wanted me to download some other thing -- which was unavailable! After threading the Adobe labyrinth that is set up to avoid contact, I once more managed to establish "chat" with India, only to be told I was out of luck -- my CS6, which I paid more than $700 for was no longer supported. So now I have no Photoshop at all. My business is at a standstill. My only option is to use my Mac Time Machine to try to go back to something that sort of worked, though both Photoshop and Lightroom have been crashing constantly for the past 6 months.

Adobe is the absolutely worst company I have ever had the misfortune to waste my money on.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to this fraudulent disaster that threatens to put me out of business?

There are several solutions.

1 stick with Sierra and start working with adobe photoshop CC

2- stay with CS6
You have taken a risk to go to 10.12 Sierra with good old CS6.
Do you really need Sierra for your business?
If you do  use an other computer for that task.
Apparently Adobe stopped support for CS6 with Sierra so stick to 10.11.6 el Capitan
It is a matter of time CS6 stops working with a new OSX...

Yes, the best thing you can do is go to time machine and restore everything from the date before Sierra.
Maybe you should save this time machine backup for use in the future.
then :
write down the date that you need to restore el Capitan + CS6 from
save this disk and use an other disk for timemachine purposes so it does not get overwritten.
A permanent backup to go to when things go wrong in the future.

---

3 Another thing you can do is what i have done yesterday-
As i said, Apple wil not allow you to download old system software; but maybe you can still download el Capitan.
install on a empty harddisk a clean system 10.11.6 system  and
If you do have the original CS6 DVD's install the software from scratch followed by the updaters from adobe.
install all other software you need.
Now you have a clean working system with el Capitan.
make an image disk from that.
This image disk will provide you the restoration of a clean El Capitan system now and in the future.
I understand it takes some knowledge to do the latter.
but restauration from a Timemachine backup works also.

- the bottomline is this;

the people - like me- who work with CS6 will have to stick to a system 10.11 or lower and use a computer that supports that system.
- The new Macbook pro line will not allow you to use El Capitan- so that road also has been blocked.

cheers,

Pieter Kers

That is the exact reason i stick to 10.9.5
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:30:42 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 07:41:20 am »

Yes. Get with the program and simply sign-up for the Lightroom+Photoshop Photography bundle at USD 9.99 per month.
The only *relatively trouble-free* way to stay fully functional is to adapt to technological and commercial change as soon after it occurs that the changes are technically safe to adopt.

There is no "fraudulent disaster". Software companies are under no legal obligation to service their applications beyond whatever warranties they have provided in their user agreements.

As far as Adobe being the worst company you have "wasted" money on - for how many years have your business and your profits depended on Adobe applications, and where would the world of digital imaging have been without them? They are by no means perfect - we all know that; nothing is; but I think it's important to retain some balanced perspective on the enormous contribution that this company and its many talented engineered and artists have made to what digital imaging is today. That remains a testament to human technological progress regardless of the trouble you are having digging your heels into the past.

If this sounds somewhat blunt and unsympathetic, sorry about that, but before responding angrily, just sit back, take a deep breath, perhaps a beer, and think hard about where your photographic future lies over the coming decades.

elliot_n

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 08:04:03 am »

That is the exact reason i stick to 10.9.5

I too am using Photoshop CS6 on OS 10.9.5. Is there a consensus that CS6 will not work with Sierra? Or are the problems reported in this thread an isolated issue?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:39:57 am »

If this sounds somewhat blunt and unsympathetic, sorry about that, but before responding angrily, just sit back, take a deep breath, perhaps a beer, and think hard about where your photographic future lies over the coming decades.

Hello mark,

see it in the light of things...
I can imagine that if some Adobe employee form India tells you to erase and reinstall - and there is no install - you feel a bit unhappy ;)
We all know that you can spend a lot of time on getting computers to work and that 'it just works' has never existed.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:27 am »

Hello mark,

see it in the light of things...
I can imagine that if some Adobe employee form India tells you to erase and reinstall - and there is no install - you feel a bit unhappy ;)
We all know that you can spend a lot of time on getting computers to work and that 'it just works' has never existed.

Hi Pieter,

I am seeing it "in the light of things". I know it is very annoying to be stymied against a brick wall by tech support, whether they are in India or right here in Toronto, doesn't matter. It has happened to all of us including me and I am human too. All I'm trying to urge upon Mr. Park is that the path of least resistance is exactly that. One reaches a point of biting one's nose to spite one's face by standing against the evolutionary paths that the industry, or segments of it, are moving into. One needs to make a well-reasoned decision, taking all relevant factors into account, whether it makes sense to accede to the new ways of doing business with their benefits and costs, or stick to the past with its costs and benefits. In my opinion, which clearly is not the only valid one, moving along with the new ways of doing business makes sense for compelling reasons that have been discussed "ad nauseum" on this website and elsewhere. You have proposed alternative approaches for Mr. Park and that's fine - they are options; I just happen to think they are relatively sub-optimal options and will be increasingly so as time and application developments move forward. It is a bit of treadmill they put us on, but hey - not everything about treadmills is so bad, especially if they keep us young and fit! :-)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 09:56:04 am »

Hi Pieter,
...You have proposed alternative approaches for Mr. Park and that's fine - they are options; I just happen to think they are relatively sub-optimal options and will be increasingly so as time and application developments move forward. It is a bit of treadmill they put us on, but hey - not everything about treadmills is so bad, especially if they keep us young and fit! :-)

There was a time that we needed progress in computer power to be able to work with large images.
That border has been taken a long time ago. I work with images of sometimes 30GB that are handled well by my 8 year old macPro.
After system 10.6.8 Apple took a new course developing OSX - social media- cloud etc.- not my interest.
10.6.8 was developed by from a technical standpoint making it sleek, transparant and powerful.
I would still use that system, but Apple and other softwaremakers do not support it anymore. I had to move on.
10.9.5 is now my best of system. 10.10 and 10.11 gave me constant new very basic problems that all had been solved in older systems.
In the future i might run this 10.9.5 system only for Photoshop CS6 for i have not seen anything that makes me want CC or it is the need for new camera support in ACR.
But Photoshop knows many different users with different needs. For companies the CC-system is better and flexible.

The only practical reason for me to go for a new computer with Sierra is if i would do 4K-video or want to use the latest seamless workflow with iCloud and iPhone/iPad.
I understand Apple blocks the way back for it makes there innovations faster accepted. Also they do not have to spend money to maintain support for these old systems, so they can move on.
Microsoft also followed that approach now trying to get rid of supporting 20 year old systems (XP) that ran on every available hardware- i can imagine...
Personally i compare Adobes decision to go CC  to Microsofts office 360... a better model for earning money in the first place. A decision made by stockholders
I leave it here for i do not want to make anybody 'ad nauseum'.

PK
back tot the basics
it is time for a nice photo :)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:38:48 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Benny Profane

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 07:49:22 pm »

Well, two things. My issues are with CC and Sierra. And, yeah, to speak of Adobe as a solitary actor in all this is not understanding the nature of things. Apple and Adobe have been partners in this long march of graphics software development for about 25 years. At least hardware development is slowing down, so that the new chips aren't another factor that requires us to buy all new computers, just to have a base for the new software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up