Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Legacy Profiles -- was there ever such a thing?  (Read 2352 times)

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
Epson Legacy Profiles -- was there ever such a thing?
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »

I just finally got around to buying some of the much-ballyhooed Epson Legacy paper -- Platine and a sample pack -- with the idea of testing them out and comparing with my usual papers of choice by Canson.

First thing I noticed on opening them: they have exactly the same green slip paper and "Print face up" notice on the packaging inside. Not a huge surprise considering I figured they are repackaged Canson papers, but then again ....

So now I go to the Epson site to find profiles. A couple of days ago, there was a notice that the page was being updated and would return on Saturday. Now there's just a "page not found" notice. Nowhere on the Epson site can I find any profiles of any kind for any paper.

I've tested the Legacy paper using Canson's existing profiles and can't see any difference whatsoever between papers -- except for the premium price I paid for the Epson paper.

Strange days.

mikev1

Re: Epson Legacy Profiles -- was there ever such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »

Epson seems to be in the process of updating their websites.  Lots of stuff missing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 10:29:39 pm »

Normally, Epson profiles for Epson papers are embedded in the printer driver. To up-date your printer driver (you didn't mention which printer you are using) go to the Support section, locate your printer, then  migrate to the drivers and install the latest version, which most likely contains the Legacy profiles.

Many papers these days have similar finishes and characteristics, to the extent that in some cassesprofiles can be virtually interchangeable without it being the case that one paper is simply a repackaged version of another. There could well be subtle differences in the papers' specifications that do not necessarily rule out the feasibility of using a profile for one paper on another. I've been observing this. As for pricing, this whole month Epson has had a rebate program running here in Canada providing customers with a rebated third package cost for the least expensive of any three Legacy (and some other) products purchased. At this kind of pricing it is very competitive with any other offering of its quality on the market. This program seems to have been running from month to month so it would be worthwhile checking with your dealer whether it has been extended for November.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

RPark

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »

Thanks for your reply, Mark.

Normally, Epson profiles for Epson papers are embedded in the printer driver. To up-date your printer driver (you didn't mention which printer you are using) go to the Support section, locate your printer, then  migrate to the drivers and install the latest version, which most likely contains the Legacy profiles.

I'm using the Epson 4900. I updated the drivers to try to fix another problem, which I'll start a new thread to address, and see now that the Legacy profiles are there. I'll do another comparison.

Many papers these days have similar finishes and characteristics, to the extent that in some cassesprofiles can be virtually interchangeable without it being the case that one paper is simply a repackaged version of another. There could well be subtle differences in the papers' specifications that do not necessarily rule out the feasibility of using a profile for one paper on another. I've been observing this. As for pricing, this whole month Epson has had a rebate program running here in Canada providing customers with a rebated third package cost for the least expensive of any three Legacy (and some other) products purchased. At this kind of pricing it is very competitive with any other offering of its quality on the market. This program seems to have been running from month to month so it would be worthwhile checking with your dealer whether it has been extended for November.

It is clear that Canson is making the paper by the aforementioned packaging similarities, not to mention the "Made in France" tag. If there is any manufacturing difference, it is absolutely impossible to detect. I'll check that rebate out, but Vistek didn't mention anything when I bought, last week.

RPark

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:57:34 pm »

Epson seems to be in the process of updating their websites.  Lots of stuff missing.

... and lots  :D

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:17:03 pm »

It is clear that Canson is making the paper by the aforementioned packaging similarities, not to mention the "Made in France" tag. If there is any manufacturing difference, it is absolutely impossible to detect. I'll check that rebate out, but Vistek didn't mention anything when I bought, last week.

Actually, it isn't the least bit clear. Canson in fact doesn't exist as an independent company any longer See Canson under Fila French holdings. The FILA Group acquired it this month. Even when it was an independent company, it did not manufacture every paper sold under its name. There are not a great many inkjet paper manufacturers in Europe; in fact there are many more brands and products than there are paper mills, so different brands have their recipes manufactured in the same facility; hence the fact that in some cases packaging and protective sheets look the same doesn't necessarily mean that one paper is a repackaged version of another.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:30:43 am »

I've had to remind Vistek about Epson rebates in the past, so I'm not surprised if they didn't know/mention it ...
If you bought 3 packs, you can get the rebate form here https://mediaserver.goepson.com/ImConvServlet/imconv/5991e18dbef4263e62e2b7358146cdf98a43e3c6/original
You need your invoice with all three paper packs on it.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 07:43:08 pm »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »

Hi Mike - thanks this is useful.

Richh

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:05 am »

Earlier today, I called Epson regarding the Legacy profiles. As others have noted, they are in the process of updating their website and the profiles aren't to be found. The support guy I talked to is letting the guys upstairs know.

As Mark notes, Epson print drivers typically have profiles for all the Epson's papers. This weekend, I downloaded the latest print driver (and f/w) for the P7000. There's no profiles baked into the current print driver v9.62 for the Legacy papers. This is understandable since the current printer driver was released on 12/03/15.

It's worth mentioning; Epson does have new firmware for the P7000 released as of 10/21/16 ( version LN006GA). It is recommended to re-run the printhead alignment for bi-directional color and all four uni-directional alignment processes afterward. Don't ask me why—I just follow orders.

disneytoy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 03:14:55 pm »

I have a 2 year old 9890. How risky is it to update firmware. I'm not having any issues. Did update drivers and I now have the Legacy profiles, though I was happy printing the Baryta using the Lustre 360 profile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up