Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Lens Cleaner?  (Read 3785 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Best Lens Cleaner?
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:47:33 am »

I seem to find a wide variety of opinions on what will or will not properly clean coated fine-quality lenses.

Some way 99% alcohol is best (but which type of alcohol?) and others say never use it.

Has anyone researched this or does anyone know from experiences which cleaner is best?

THanks
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Best Lens Cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:15:13 am »

I switched over to all the visible dust products a couple years ago a love them. 

http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=304

That's the lens cleaner.

When I was shooting with a Leica m8 as well as canon gear, dust was always an issue.  Their chamber cleaning liquids really helped.  That's when I found their lens liquid and thought ide give it a shot.  Haven't used anything else since.  I also use it on my viewfinders.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:17:50 am »

I seem to find a wide variety of opinions on what will or will not properly clean coated fine-quality lenses.

Some way 99% alcohol is best (but which type of alcohol?) and others say never use it.

Has anyone researched this or does anyone know from experiences which cleaner is best?

Hi Michael,

I've used Pec-Pads with Eclipse fluid, the same I use for wet cleaning of my sensors (filterstack). But some coatings are very hard to get clean without any residual traces of a very thin film.

However, since I started using a LensPen (there are also multiple pen kits avaiable), I've never looked back. The LensPen cleans so well, that it also seems like dirt/dust doesn't attach to the surface anymore as much as it did before. The brush takes away potential residual grit, and the microfiber pad cleans with the use of traces of graphite. For stubborn grease, I just use some breath condensation on the lens surface before using the pen. Pens are replaced after they have been used for a (long) while, should they become less effective.

I use a separate pen for my sensor (SensorPen), but the sensor also stays clean much longer, although after cleaning a sensor that with a pen, one needs to add a final static brush treatment to remove traces of graphite.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:10 am »

Glad for the advice, but also looking for someone to weigh in on alcohol as a cleaner, things like: 99% or diluted with water, what type of alcohol: isopropyl, methanol, ethtanol? ROR is praised and slightly panned for not measuring up to 99% alcohol, etc.  Some say 99% alcohol is too harsh for some coatings. Any truth to this? Others use only water, some dish soap, some say breath can interject bacteria, etc.

I would like some of this to be clarified, if possible.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 12:40:48 pm »

I would second that...But some coatings are very hard to get clean without any residual traces of a very thin film. For my Nikon lenses I have to use Pec Pads and Eclipse - again to keep from leaving minute residue traces. For all other camera lenses, and in particular on my Oly EM1 camera's lenses - I use Peca Products Formula MC applied with Pec Pad and then very lightly cleaned/buffed with Kinetronics Tiger Cloth - no residue. I only use the Kinetronics microfiber btw.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:20:04 am »

Best? No idea.

I use Zeiss lens cleaning fluid, I suppose they know what should work. I especially like the fact that it does not leave any smudges, it "evaporates" completely.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:46 pm »

I keep a UV filter permanently in place on all my lenses. It's always ordered along with the lens.

If there's a really obstinate bit of kludge, then a tiny drop of alcohol onto a piece of - wait for it - kitchen paper. That will shift the mess. Then, that done, just clean again with a dry part of the paper. In the case of tiny bits of foreign material, then breathe onto the filter à la David Hamilton, and subsequently use the same sort of paper to wipe it off. Ether is also useful, but hard to get unless you know an industrial chemist, but you run the danger of forgetting why you had it...

Some say never use a filter; I say suit yourself. To imgine that a good quality filter is going to ruin your images is a nonsense. You will never see a difference. Even at 100%, if that's your naughty little secret habit...

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:04:03 am by Rob C »

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 12:48:07 pm »

ROR for tough cases. Distilled water for rain splatter. I will confess to just wiping with a clean microfiber lens cloth in the field. Fisher Scientific optical lens cleaner for the microscope (we have a big case at work, some 30 bottles left (one per microscope - time to order more!), of this alcohol and trace detergent stuff) - but other brands are fine.

Harold Clark

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 07:48:23 am »

Many years ago after having a lens repaired at Canon I asked what they used for lens cleaner. The technician said they uses a 50:50 mixture of ether and alcohol, if I still remember it correctly.

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 11:25:06 am »

That's undoubtedly an excellent cleaner, but you would need a certified scientific or industrial fume hood to use any significant volume of ether. Otherwise - KaBOOM! The only consumer product that uses ether and is kept in ordinary conditions is the colloidin/ether formulation of salicylic acid paint-on membrane wart remover, minute bottle with minute amount of ether.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 11:37:07 am »

colloidin/ether formulation of salicylic acid paint-on membrane wart remover,

Ah! That's why the smell takes me back to the family GP in 1969 or there abouts...

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:23 pm »

I use the Ted Grant cleaning process: huffing on the lens, then cleaning with an old cotton baby diaper. Diaper washed thoroughly, of course. Very soft & gentle.  ;D  I also use a soft & gentle brush to remove particulate stuff.

I only break out the cleaning fluids when I'm dealing with sensors or if I've somehow really made a mess.

YMMV!

-Dave-

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 03:38:19 am »

I remember Olympus would use methanol being a very good meth and alc mix.
And I don't mean a crack pipe and a bottle of Johnny!
I guess the purity is what makes it suitable vs other uses. Methanol started getting on the chem list of things to control, and so its not so available. The liquid I had was in a black oblong shape bottle, and the liquid had a pink red tint.

This is supposed to be very good for cleaning coated glass. I also use and like the Eclipse, and that contains ethenol.
We all realize it is the biggest rip off mark up, but....We get a clean lens and sensorfor it :-) I too use the pen on the sensor and pecpad. I also have used Ewipes with a credit card cut to sensor size. THis works great, then swipe with dry pecpad to remove film.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up