Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 prints out target but won't read  (Read 1456 times)

John Nollendorfs

HP Z3100 prints out target but won't read
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:08:37 pm »

Hi my team of Z experts.
I recently replaced the drive belt, (3 months ago) but now I find the printer will not calibrate. It prints out the target, but fails to read. Any suggestions?

deanwork

Re: HP Z3100 prints out target but won't read
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »

Mine is doing the same exact thing. I bought a new spectro on ebay and though it was marked as refurbished from China, it appears to be new. I have a local guy who works on all HP machines coming out next week to put it in. This happened on Windows 7 and no change with windows 10.

My situation was it goes through the whole process of printing out the target, then it reads it and after the reading process you get the failure to calibrate error.

Probably what happened in your case is you have some debris blocking the i1 sensor or you knocked something out of alignment

. First thing I would try is blowing canned air up under the print head assembly.  That didn't help me.

Hi my team of Z experts.
I recently replaced the drive belt, (3 months ago) but now I find the printer will not calibrate. It prints out the target, but fails to read. Any suggestions?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 06:14:04 am »

Hi my team of Z experts.

John,

Flat cable connections?  Shifting door in front of the spectro is stuck? Tried the other route where you first print a target to let it dry outside the printer and then reinsert it for measuring?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:30:21 am »

I would have to tear the printer apart to check the cable connections right? I've never been inside there.
No I haven't tried printing and reinserting the chart. Worth a try before the guy comes over here next week. Thanks.

John,

Flat cable connections?  Shifting door in front of the spectro is stuck? Tried the other route where you first print a target to let it dry outside the printer and then reinsert it for measuring?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:44 pm »

Both Johns,

OK, do a little test for me.  Use a gloss sheet, and try calibrating from the front panel on the printer.
Also, do this in the dark.  Humor me.  Use a flashlight, but keep it away from the interior of the printer.
Just try it.  A test. Sheet must be at least 11x14.

If it doesn't work, try again with a new sheet of gloss, and create a new paper in paper presets in the Utility.
Make sure the printer is in the dark.  Create a new custom paper and use a gloss paper preset.

Let's see if either of you have any luck with the test.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »

John,

This is a good idea Ernst.  A distinct possibility.  If I remember correctly, isn't it possible to use a small mechanics mirror to see the door?  I seem to remember someone used a bent cost hanger with a cue tip tape on the end to jiggle it.  And also a piece of double sided tape to open the door.
Does this ring a bell to you, Ernst? (From a long lost thread years ago).

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 05:36:53 pm »

This is a good idea Ernst.  A distinct possibility.  If I remember correctly, isn't it possible to use a small mechanics mirror to see the door?  I seem to remember someone used a bent cost hanger with a cue tip tape on the end to jiggle it.  And also a piece of double sided tape to open the door.
Does this ring a bell to you, Ernst? (From a long lost thread years ago).

Mark

Not in detail but I recall messages on problems with the door.  When I had to replace the head carrier PCB on the Z3200 there was a good opportunity to check the state of that part on my printer. Cleaned and put some silicone lubricant at the sliding parts.

Checking the process during the calibration is important.  Directly after the drying of the target the printer starts a kind of position check on the paper. I guess still with the infra/red paper position light/sensor, not with the spectrometer. If it halts there something is wrong on the position or the door is stuck. If it starts the patches scanning and gives a error at some point either the spectrometer is kaput or the flat cable connection bad.
A bit speculative, have nod the problem myself.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »

Both Johns,

OK, do a little test for me.  Use a gloss sheet, and try calibrating from the front panel on the printer.
Also, do this in the dark.  Humor me.  Use a flashlight, but keep it away from the interior of the printer.
Just try it.  A test. Sheet must be at least 11x14.

If it doesn't work, try again with a new sheet of gloss, and create a new paper in paper presets in the Utility.
Make sure the printer is in the dark.  Create a new custom paper and use a gloss paper preset.

Let's see if either of you have any luck with the test.

Mark
Mark:
My paper utility has been an on and off proposition for a long time. Just tried it, and it failed to recognize the printer!
Will try the "dark test" shortly, when I finish the jobs I have in the pipe at the moment.

John

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »

Mark:
Just tried the calibration test on a sheet of gloss. Printed out just fine, it dried for 2 minutes, started reading, and the progress bar went to 100% and no reading happened, and reported "cancelled". Just tried the Color Sensor test (ESP). When it came to the first reading of the Delta E it failed!

Ernst, I tried looking over the carriage for the "ribbon cable" but was unable to find it. Also, where is the "shutter door" you mention located?

John
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:30:46 pm by John Nollendorfs »

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:04 pm »

Mark:
Just tried the calibration test on a sheet of gloss. Printed out just fine, it dried for 2 minutes, started reading, and the progress bar went to 100% and no reading happened, and reported "cancelled". Just tried the Color Sensor test (ESP). When it came to the first reading of the Delta E it failed!

Ernst, I tried looking over the carriage for the "ribbon cable" but was unable to find it. Also, where is the "shutter door" you mention located?

John

Go here John for spectro info

Something is not right John, with how the carriage was put back.  Your best bet would be to pull the left cover off and get the carriage over there and see if you can see anything wrong.  Try the mechanic's mirror and canned air procedure, and check all cable connections.  Go into the printer logs and see what errors and warnings it has been logging.  Compare the error message codes - you can find them on my Z series repair page near the bottom.  One thing at a time.  Check errors first.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:40:53 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up