Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: poor yellow in prints  (Read 3406 times)

marc.s

poor yellow in prints
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:45:52 pm »

I get my prints made at a lab, and I'm having problems with deeply saturated yellows. They turn out less saturated and with a cool shift in the hue.. soft proofing doesn't really indicate that (only a small change)..

I think my monitor is properly profiled (but since I had to return my previous puck as it was all wrong and stuff I just don't know anymore..). Either way I know it's not this much off.

My question is whether problems with saturated yellows is a common problem with printers and any solutions..

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
poor yellow in prints
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 03:03:11 am »

My question is whether problems with saturated yellows is a common problem with printers and any solutions..
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Saturated yellows are the most noticeable area where prints can fall down. Take a look at [a href=\"http://www.lashier.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=26966]this gamut plot[/url] and you'll see why. If the images are being converted to sRGB for printing, the problem with be particularly noticible. Even if a printer profile is being used, if the profile wasn't made well the more saturated colors may suffer.

- DL

Stephen Best

poor yellow in prints
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:08:44 am »

I get my prints made at a lab, and I'm having problems with deeply saturated yellows.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chromogenic really seems to struggle with yellows. I base this on some profiling I did for a LightJet (Fuji Crystal Archive) and some profiles I just downloaded from a local lab using a Lambda (Kodak papers). A quick search finds somebody claiming that RA4 blows away inkjets in this respect but this hasn't been my experience.

Stephen Best

poor yellow in prints
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:42:37 am »

Saturated yellows are the most noticeable area where prints can fall down. Take a look at this gamut plot and you'll see why.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The yellow in your plots looks pretty good ...

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
poor yellow in prints
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:00:20 pm »

The yellow in your plots looks pretty good ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69805\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah but this is with inkjet, UC's, and custom profile. Project the sRGB line thru and chop off what's outside.

- DL

marc.s

poor yellow in prints
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:47:15 pm »

They don't offer any profiles, so not sure how to go about that (or if it would help)..

Unfortunately I don't really have much choice in labs here at reasonable costs (I've only been able to find two I can use).
Pages: [1]   Go Up