Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eps 3800 MK and PK not printing  (Read 2167 times)

BradSmith

Eps 3800 MK and PK not printing
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »

My old 3800 has now twice stopped printing PK or MK.  Entirely stopped....not a few clogged nozzles.   When it happened last week, I went to bed in frustration and the next morning, it printed perfectly again with me having done nothing to it.

Today it stopped printing both PK and MK, both in images and in nozzle checks.  I did a standard clean cycle with MK, and MK then printed perfectly both in the nozzle check done as a part of the clean cycle and then in the standard nozzle check and then in a matte print. Then I did an ink change to PK and it printed a perfect nozzle check pattern.  OK, that's good.   Then printed a luster image, and no PK printed! Yuck!

Any ideas what could be causing this intermittent type weird behavior?
Brad

elolaugesen

Re: Eps 3800 MK and PK not printing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:55:26 am »

I do not trust Epson entirely.
   How many images have you printed?  How close are you to the 10,000 print rumoured end of life count for the 3800?

howardm

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:24:40 am »

the MK/PK valve is a basically a slider that moves left/right to open/close the ink pathways.  Sounds like the valve may get intermittently 'stuck' in the middle which may block both PK & MK.  Either way, it would appear as though the 3800 is starting to die.  The ink valve assembly is something like a $150 and if you're reasonably handy, you can do it yourself, otherwise, expect $300ish for the repair.  Most people, it seems, simply trash it and get a new printer.

Ferp

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:07 am »

This thread is probably relevant, even if you've switched often:  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114096.0 

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:23:41 am »

I do not trust Epson entirely.
   How many images have you printed?  How close are you to the 10,000 print rumoured end of life count for the 3800?
Never heard of the 10,000 print life.
However it has been quoted (and proven)it only has a 5 +/- year life limit.
Mine lasted 5 years and about a month.(Same issue you are having.)
Total prints 1285.
Still without a doubt the best printer I have ever owned.
Only used it for 8x10 proof prints, thus the low print total.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:37:18 am by Dan Berg »

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:57:09 am »

Thanks for the replies.  The printer is seven years old with only 1000 prints, so I haven't worn it out.  And up until now, it has been nearly bullet proof.  From the replies here and in the thread that was linked by Ferp, it sounds like the switching mechanism could be at fault. I'll try several more ink switches and see if that unsticks the valve, (if that is the problem).  If not, then it looks like it will be time for a new printer.  If that's the case, I'll have some cartridges for sale.
Brad 

Randy Carone

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »

Could be the damper, if it developed a big enough hole or split. Any excess black ink near the capping station? Anyway, like Dan said, my 3800 gave me years of flawless service. Finally, the magenta dropped too many nozzles to ignore. I bought a refurb PC800 direct from Epson. It came with a full set of ink (not starters) and the same full year warranty. Seems as good as my trusty 3800 with reportedly better gamut. Time will tell, but so far, I love it.
Randy Carone

Ferp

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »

The dampers are a possibility, and if you're handy these can be changed relatively inexpensively.  But when I read of problems in the K channel after a switch, I tend to suspect the switch itself.  Reading the OP again, it's not clear whether or not that was the case.  If the problems come and go without switching, then the dampers might be the issue.

BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 01:49:14 pm »

Conclusion......Thanks for all the suggestions, but I gave up and have ordered a P800.  I've just posted a message in the For Sale forum for selling the K3 ink at about half its value.  If anyone is interested in trying to resurrect the printer or wants it for spare parts, you can pick it up from me in northern San Diego County in California.
Brad Smith

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:18:11 pm »

I get the impression that all 3800s have decided to quit this year, regardless of age, just like my own, which was nine years old.

I am very happy so far with my new P800.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

howardm

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »

a good part of it may just be that the damper or seal material (or other) simply degrades over time leading to leaking/failures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up