Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Eps 3800 MK and PK not printing

(1/3) > >>

BradSmith:
My old 3800 has now twice stopped printing PK or MK.  Entirely stopped....not a few clogged nozzles.   When it happened last week, I went to bed in frustration and the next morning, it printed perfectly again with me having done nothing to it.

Today it stopped printing both PK and MK, both in images and in nozzle checks.  I did a standard clean cycle with MK, and MK then printed perfectly both in the nozzle check done as a part of the clean cycle and then in the standard nozzle check and then in a matte print. Then I did an ink change to PK and it printed a perfect nozzle check pattern.  OK, that's good.   Then printed a luster image, and no PK printed! Yuck!

Any ideas what could be causing this intermittent type weird behavior?
Brad

elolaugesen:
I do not trust Epson entirely.
   How many images have you printed?  How close are you to the 10,000 print rumoured end of life count for the 3800?

howardm:
the MK/PK valve is a basically a slider that moves left/right to open/close the ink pathways.  Sounds like the valve may get intermittently 'stuck' in the middle which may block both PK & MK.  Either way, it would appear as though the 3800 is starting to die.  The ink valve assembly is something like a $150 and if you're reasonably handy, you can do it yourself, otherwise, expect $300ish for the repair.  Most people, it seems, simply trash it and get a new printer.

Ferp:
This thread is probably relevant, even if you've switched often:  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114096.0 

dgberg:

--- Quote from: elolaugesen on October 26, 2016, 05:55:26 am ---I do not trust Epson entirely.
   How many images have you printed?  How close are you to the 10,000 print rumoured end of life count for the 3800?

--- End quote ---
Never heard of the 10,000 print life.
However it has been quoted (and proven)it only has a 5 +/- year life limit.
Mine lasted 5 years and about a month.(Same issue you are having.)
Total prints 1285.
Still without a doubt the best printer I have ever owned.
Only used it for 8x10 proof prints, thus the low print total.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version