Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendations for shooting in Helsinki  (Read 2979 times)

emreguclu

• http://500px.com/emreguclu
recommendations for shooting in Helsinki
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I will be visiting Helsinki for a week next week and hoping to improve my landscape and urban portfolia with some Helsinki shots.

I am mostly shooting landscape and urbanscapes, any spot recommendations would do great... I dont have the time to visit Lapland, I will be staying only around Helsinki.

Kind Regards,
Emre

Hezu

• Galerie Hezu
Re: recommendations for shooting in Helsinki
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I will be visiting Helsinki for a week next week and hoping to improve my landscape and urban portfolia with some Helsinki shots.

I am mostly shooting landscape and urbanscapes, any spot recommendations would do great... I dont have the time to visit Lapland, I will be staying only around Helsinki.

My first suggestion for any photographer visiting Helsinki is Suomenlinna sea fortress since it offers quite a lot to see. For slightly more natural environment I could suggest Uutela in Vuosaari and shores of Lauttasaari. In latter it might be still possible to walk into small island in front of it since the sea level has been low lately, although I think the water level has already been rising. And for even less urban views, I think the nearby national parks Nuuksio in Espoo and Sipoonkorpi in Helsinki, Vantaa and Sipoo should offer plenty of nature. Although, strictly speaking apart from the most urbanized city center of Helsinki you can find surprisingly lot of green areas (or perhaps not necessarily that green this time of the year since much of the foliage has already fallen down or at least changed colour) around Finnish capital region.
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola

graeme

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:18:58 pm »

Visited this place in 1978. From what I remember it's worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temppeliaukio_Church

From what I also remember Helsinki is a lovely city.

Enjoy your visit.

aduke

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:12:44 am »

I've visited Helsinki twice in the last eight years. Both times, I spent most of a day really enjoying what Google Maps calls Seurasaaren ulkomuseo. It is an island within the city bus lines. The island holds a free-air museum, various old buildings brought from their original location to the museum and a sort of wildlife preserved. Lots of plants and trees. I've gotten some interesting small bird and mammal portraits and some nice architectural shots.

I enjoyed it so much the first time that it was at the top of my list the second time.

Alan

emreguclu

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:33:49 am »

My first suggestion for any photographer visiting Helsinki is Suomenlinna sea fortress since it offers quite a lot to see. For slightly more natural environment I could suggest Uutela in Vuosaari and shores of Lauttasaari. In latter it might be still possible to walk into small island in front of it since the sea level has been low lately, although I think the water level has already been rising. And for even less urban views, I think the nearby national parks Nuuksio in Espoo and Sipoonkorpi in Helsinki, Vantaa and Sipoo should offer plenty of nature. Although, strictly speaking apart from the most urbanized city center of Helsinki you can find surprisingly lot of green areas (or perhaps not necessarily that green this time of the year since much of the foliage has already fallen down or at least changed colour) around Finnish capital region.

Thank you very much Hezu. Each of them noted down carefully. Hope I can bring my tripod to the fortress even though I wont be using it insde the fortress.

emreguclu

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:11 am »

I've visited Helsinki twice in the last eight years. Both times, I spent most of a day really enjoying what Google Maps calls Seurasaaren ulkomuseo. It is an island within the city bus lines. The island holds a free-air museum, various old buildings brought from their original location to the museum and a sort of wildlife preserved. Lots of plants and trees. I've gotten some interesting small bird and mammal portraits and some nice architectural shots.

I enjoyed it so much the first time that it was at the top of my list the second time.

Alan

Thank you very much Alan!

emreguclu

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 08:39:14 am »

Visited this place in 1978. From what I remember it's worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temppeliaukio_Church

From what I also remember Helsinki is a lovely city.

Enjoy your visit.

Yes! I have also found thats a good candidate for 21mm distagon! :)

Hezu

• Galerie Hezu
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 09:32:27 am »

Thank you very much Hezu. Each of them noted down carefully. Hope I can bring my tripod to the fortress even though I wont be using it insde the fortress.
Assuming the ferry to Suomenlinna is not packed with Pokemon hunters (yes, it has been popular destination for players of Pokemon Go lately) you should not have any unusual problems bringing the tripod and there is not that many indoor locations, which you can visit. In fact, majority of the buildings within Suomenlinna fortress islands are hosting private homes. Of course, there are also some museums, restaurants and such, but it is also possible that these are not open this time of the year.
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola

emreguclu

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 02:54:17 pm »

Assuming the ferry to Suomenlinna is not packed with Pokemon hunters (yes, it has been popular destination for players of Pokemon Go lately) you should not have any unusual problems bringing the tripod and there is not that many indoor locations, which you can visit. In fact, majority of the buildings within Suomenlinna fortress islands are hosting private homes. Of course, there are also some museums, restaurants and such, but it is also possible that these are not open this time of the year.

Thanks for all the information! I didnt have much chance to go out and shoot due to my inpatient colleague :) I only had an hour in Lauttasaari which I wished I had more time... But even though it was just an hour I was able to be explored with a nice reflection (link below) :)

A reflection in Lauttasaari - Helsinki
Pages: [1]   Go Up