Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shear Sailing  (Read 1704 times)

BobDavid

Shear Sailing
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:08:35 pm »

I am back in Sarasota. This caught my eye while waiting for the stoplight to change. ... Say, what a great idea: Take the dog in for dental work, then lie in the tanning booth, then get my hair done, then get a nice triple scoop ice cream cone, and then pick up the dog.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:56:59 pm by BobDavid »

Otto Phocus

Re: Shear Sailing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:34:03 pm »

What about it caught your eye?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »

... juxtaposition of signs and ads

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 03:10:03 pm »

In the spirit of multi-purpose appliances that will grind your coffee beans, brew your coffee, wash the dishes, feed the cat, mow the lawn, and make the bed, as long as you purchase all the available accessories.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:55:16 pm »

The chick.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »

I am back in Sarasota. This caught my eye while waiting for the stoplight to change. ... Say, what a great idea: Take the dog in for dental work, then lie in the tanning booth, then get my hair done, then get a nice triple scoop ice cream cone, and then pick up the dog.

All good ideas, but skip the tanning. It can kill you.

Rob C

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »

The chick.

Rob

I noticed the animal hospital advertised it treated "birds." And as Rob C. commented, 'The Chick.' I made a connection between the chick and the word "bird" while waiting for the stoplight to change. ... I think it's strange to see a sun-faded picture of a woman in an ad for a tanning and spa salon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:31:30 pm by BobDavid »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:33:11 pm »

Supported by eight poles, that billboard is hurricane proof.
~ CB

francois

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 05:10:49 am »

Glorious…
Francois

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 05:14:38 am »

She seems to have been to an un-tanning salon...

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 06:24:22 am »

I noticed the animal hospital advertised it treated "birds." And as Rob C. commented, 'The Chick.' I made a connection between the chick and the word "bird" while waiting for the stoplight to change. ... I think it's strange to see a sun-faded picture of a woman in an ad for a tanning and spa salon.

I was in hospital the other day having a dermatologist spray my face with liquid nitrogen to burn away several areas of sun-damaged skin. Actinic keratosis. Today, my right cheek is swollen from the reaction (also hit me the first such encounter with the stuff) and I wish I had spent far less time beachcombing and living the life aboard other people's yachts. You always have to pay the pìper. So tanning parlours run fairly low in my perception of responsble citizenship! I guess faded equates with jaded. ;-(

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:04:38 am »

We did a study on skin cancer in Iceland, about 7 years ago. As you can imagine, opportunities for naturally occurring sunburn in Iceland are limited: but there was a period where tanning salons became very popular: exploded from zero to around 30 or 40 I think, before the government started applying standards of behaviour (no tanning kids, for eg). A few years later, most were gone.

Some years later, you could see almost the same explosion and decline in melanoma rates, particularly in youngish women.
https://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/172/7/762.short

The sunbed industry claimed they were reducing other cancers by increasing vitamin D levels, based on the fact that some cancers have a north-south gradient in the US... but when you look in Europe, the gradient runs in the opposite direction!

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:08:31 am »

We did a study on skin cancer in Iceland, about 7 years ago. As you can imagine, opportunities for naturally occurring sunburn in Iceland are limited: but there was a period where tanning salons became very popular: exploded from zero to around 30 or 40 I think, before the government started applying standards of behaviour (no tanning kids, for eg). A few years later, most were gone.

Some years later, you could see almost the same explosion and decline in melanoma rates, particularly in youngish women.
https://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/172/7/762.short

The sunbed industry claimed they were reducing other cancers by increasing vitamin D levels, based on the fact that some cancers have a north-south gradient in the US... but when you look in Europe, the gradient runs in the opposite direction!

I wondered about that on reading; obviously I can only speak as a non-medical person, but my thinking is this: afaik skin cancers of all types seem to be related to UV light, and not have a relationship to temperatures. I have a cousin living in Scotland who has also been afflicted with actinic keratosis and he isn't a Med type at all. His sin has been canoes and Scottish waters. As with the problems I blame on Indian beach exposure for seven or eight years, along with lots of daft sunbathing on photo shoots, followed by many more years of Med beach living and boating, the common factor between cousin and myself appears to be neither the location nor the heat, but UV light which is reflected from all sides on water. And unfortunately, UV cuts right through cloud cover, so the northerners get effed both ways: bad weather on top of radiation.

Whether the power of UV radiation is lessened the further towards the poles you go, I don't know, but I bet the use of UV filters is just as important if you are working on colour transparency film!

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:54:31 am »

Yep, UV drops off rapidly towards the poles (as does the inclination to get naked, of course). A little-reported fact was that when there was the ozone hole over southern Australia, the exposure in Melbourne (under the hole) was still lower than in Sydney (not under the hole but further north).

Normally nature compensates with natural selection... but the reason Australia is the world skin cancer champion is we brought migrants from Scotland and Ireland and sent them out to work in cane-fields in North Queensland. Hanging out on beaches in India is a bit similar, but more enjoyable :)

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

My dad, a fair-skinned gent, was an avid fisherman and so often ended up Rudolph-nosed as in the first attached pic during rod & reel excursions. Later on this resulted in repeated visits to his Mohs surgery practitioner. Because of this I've been a life-long wearer of wide-brimmed hats, as in the second attached pic.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 05:06:57 pm »

Dave,

I'd worn a variety hats for a long time, and then went the bandana or baseball cap route; to my surprise, though I have worn sunglasses forever, I also have some keratoses right behind the spot where the bridge of the glasses sits... maybe it's the result of scattered highlights. Whatever the cause, it's there.

The advice: stay out of the sun... in the Med?

Rob
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:23:21 pm by Rob C »

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 05:35:56 pm »

Yep, UV drops off rapidly towards the poles (as does the inclination to get naked, of course). A little-reported fact was that when there was the ozone hole over southern Australia, the exposure in Melbourne (under the hole) was still lower than in Sydney (not under the hole but further north).

Normally nature compensates with natural selection... but the reason Australia is the world skin cancer champion is we brought migrants from Scotland and Ireland and sent them out to work in cane-fields in North Queensland. Hanging out on beaches in India is a bit similar, but more enjoyable :)

There was (and still is) an increased risk in southern parts of Australia and in New Zealand, though, because the lower temperatures tend to give a false sense of security regarding the strength of the sun.  Personal behaviour is a major contributor to skin cancer rates.  Refer to http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cncrmaps_incdncmortlty_melanoma.pdf and it's obvious that coastal areas have a higher rate (not just numbers due to population) because people go to the beach or engage in other coastal activities and are exposed to the sun more.  Fortunately, down here, the messages are clear and constant about sun protection and it has been and continues to change behaviour in a positive way.  But, don't be fooled by just the temperature when thinking about UV exposure.
Phil Brown

Otto Phocus

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 06:30:26 am »

To me, a suntan is the equivalent to a callus and just as attractive. Both are the body's desperate attempt to protect itself after being repeatedly attacked by something harmful.

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 07:29:19 am »

Fortunately, down here, the messages are clear and constant about sun protection and it has been and continues to change behaviour in a positive way.

Yep, big shock on movng to France to hear/see advertising making a big deal of having a tan (they were selling holidays in Greece, as it happens). I see much darker tans on white skinned people here that I can ever remember in Sydney or Melbourne.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 08:56:16 am »

Yep, big shock on movng to France to hear/see advertising making a big deal of having a tan (they were selling holidays in Greece, as it happens). I see much darker tans on white skinned people here that I can ever remember in Sydney or Melbourne.

The truth is, white skin look terrible. I hate seeing veins etc. just below the surface. I always think that white-skinned women look ill, something not improved by contemporary advertising. Alabaster looks okay on ornaments. The best skin colours I ever saw were on some Indian (Asia) ladies. I also see many Spanish and Italian girls with amazing natural tans, almost at the first break from winter. They look wonderful, and I suppose it's in the wan hope of losing the deathly palor of the northerner that we try to be something else. How ironic, therefore, that colour prejudice still exists.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up