Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is Auto-Cut not available with Canvas  (Read 2865 times)

Matty7800

Why is Auto-Cut not available with Canvas
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:50:34 pm »

Hello All,
Is anyone able to explain why the Epson 7800 will not auto-cut canvas?
Having set a 'test' archival matte paper with the same thickness as the canvas (405 microns) the cut function becomes available again, so it doesn't appear to be a thickness issue.

What differences does the Epson need to know between canvas and archival matte (other than colour profiles)?  Or is it simply that Epson didn't think the cutter would stand up to trimming canvas?

Is there an alternative source of blades for the cutter, as I've just discovered the UK price is £90 (around $160 !!). Beyond outrageous, it's obscene. My 7800 insisted on 'replacing' the cutter after just 36 prints! $4.40 per print to cut? Does anyone have any sensible figures for this?

I guess it could come down to scissors .....
Thank you Epson - NOT!

Thanks,
Matty

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 04:04:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the canvas material, even though you say it's the same thickness, is going to be harder on the blade than the matte paper. Given the extreme cost of replacing the built in cutter's blades, you should opt for the auxilliary manual cutter from Epson that bolts to the printer just below where the paper exits.

Marty C

• http://www.shorephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:10:01 pm »

The reason for not being able to cut canvas is because fibers from the canvas will detach from the canvas while the cut is being made and you really do not want these flying around in your printer. If you did this on a daily basis for a long period of time you would have nothing but problems.

Matty7800

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 11:38:48 am »

Thanks for the response, folks.
I had anticipated that setting the cut to 'Thick-Slow' would avoid the loose fibres problem (had it worked with canvas), but I have taken your comments on board. Rather do without auto-cut than invite heavy maintenance a few months from now. I also figured that Fine Art Textured paper would be as much a fibre-producer as the canvas, but I guess the cotton behaves differently under a knife-edge.

I also mistakenly thought the manual cutter was only available for the 9800, but it looks the best option now. Presumably, it uses a wheel blade(?) that is available 'off the shelf' (or is that a bit too optimistic?). The Epson UK shop isn't too useful with spares. All being well, once bought, hopefully the manual cutter is alot cheaper to run(?).

Thank you,
Matty
Pages: [1]   Go Up