Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: >insert clever title here<  (Read 2705 times)

sdwilsonsct

>insert clever title here<
« on: October 23, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »

I don't know what's more work: shooting, processing, or thinking up an intriguing title.
Anyway, feedback on the pictures is welcome.

Sean H

Re: >insert clever title here<
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:51:29 pm »

Hi Scott, great photos. Where were they taken?

suggested titles:

For the first photo: Autumnal Majesty
for the second photo: A quiet death

I know the second title is not necessarily inspiring but the trees in the foreground look as if they may be dying.

The most important thing to bear in mind is to continue to focus on taking great photographs; that is what you do best and that's what your audience wants. Your photographic work (like that of many others here) continues to inspire us. The words and text to accompany the photos will come in the course of time. Sometimes words can barely do justice to the beauty of the images posted.

Kind regards,

Sean
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:12:47 pm by Sean H »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »

I well understand the difficulties of producing titles. If these were mine, I'd probably call them something like "Untitled #7351" and "Untitled #6394."

As images, I think they are both excellent and beautifully processed.

While I don't feel that Sean's titles are perfect, they are certainly more interesting than mine.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

churly

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 05:47:33 pm »

These are both very nice Scott.  To me #2 has a bit more soul to it but maybe it just matches my mood today. :)
I just see titles as an  extra bit of fun but if one doesn't present itself, no big deal, your images speak for themselves.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:34:49 pm »

Titles?! We don't need no stinkin' titles...  ;) I like both, but really enjoy the second one, which reminds me of scenes from the movie "The Revenant" in the best sense.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Brookie

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:00:41 pm »

Simple descriptive titles are fine. If that means identifying a location you'd rather not popularize, then "Untitled" works fine. Remember, such a simple scheme has served most of the greats of landscape photography for the last 100 years.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:09:17 am »

Hi Scott, great photos. Where were they taken?

suggested titles:

For the first photo: Autumnal Majesty
for the second photo: A quiet death

I know the second title is not necessarily inspiring but the trees in the foreground look as if they may be dying.

The most important thing to bear in mind is to continue to focus on taking great photographs; that is what you do best and that's what your audience wants. Your photographic work (like that of many others here) continues to inspire us. The words and text to accompany the photos will come in the course of time. Sometimes words can barely do justice to the beauty of the images posted.

Kind regards,

Sean

+1

Perhaps speaking about the mist on the 2nd would add important information.

Thierry

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 05:04:33 am »

Trees #1

Trees #2

I prefer #2.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:21:22 am »

Scott - I think that first is a very nice composition and processing. The second not so much - the upper half of the frame including the upper part of mountain being without much detail, reading mostly "white" - so you're left principally with basically generic dark shoreline and trees with a "blank canvas above". Is this enough to carry image? I don't think so. Was this interesting in color? I also had same thought about first whether color version was good. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:37 am »

(Name of the species) in... (name of the location)
Dead (if they are dead).... (the species) along... (name of the river) in (or comma)...  (name of the location).
I wouldn't emphasize in the title of the photos the emotion they are intended to communicate.

Obviously I wouldn't suggest to repeat my language mistakes... ;D :'(

I like them both, I like very much the focal length/composition of the first one.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:11:56 pm by muntanela »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 07:17:38 pm »

Both beatifully captured and processed. I prefer the second as I find it more emotive. The first is what we'd expect a photographer to take,; the second less so. And don't crop the photo. The negative space towards the top causes the bottom portion not in fog to be that much more compelling.

Titles, shmitles(I know that's not a word!). I'd let the emotion of photographs speak for themselves and keep the titles as simple descriptions as muntanela indicated.
"Autumn Aspens, XXX State Park"
"Bog and Mist, Anywhere, XY"
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:55:55 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback: helpful as usual.

Where were they taken?

Banff.

the upper half of the frame including the upper part of mountain being without much detail, reading mostly "white" - so you're left principally with basically generic dark shoreline and trees with a "blank canvas above". Is this enough to carry image? I don't think so. Was this interesting in color?

Hmm... I posted a similar image (same place, same snowfall) a while ago and got similar responses. I like the mystery of the negative space, but different strokes... Colour versions attached. This time of year the colours are so subtle that they are nearly B&W. Sometimes my colour images are interpreted as B&W even though the colour can add worthy depth.

Great title suggestions: I promise to think a little harder next time.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:59:02 pm by sdwilsonsct »
Pages: [1]   Go Up