Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Character of the Zeiss Otus 28mm APO Lens  (Read 3671 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
The Character of the Zeiss Otus 28mm APO Lens
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:47:25 am »

It is good to see the various manufactures taking the right turn toward better quality lenses. I had my eye on the Sigma ART lenses, early on, but my mind was actually turned by the Zeiss Otus series. Now I see that with the new 105mm f/1. Lens, Nikon has finally stopped producing mediocre lenses. Of course, I am not referring to the exotic and industrial Nikkors like the El Nikkor 105mm APO, the Printing Nikkors, CRT Nikkor, AM-ED Nikkors, etc. They always were great.

I have been surprised at the negative comments I have seen here and there about the Zeiss Otus 28mm APO f/1.4 wide-angle lens. There is no point in naming names, but well-known lens experts have said things like that they have no character, are too well-corrected (whatever that could be), are too clinical, and so on.

I was first taken aback by these kind of comments, if only because I own a Otus 28mm, plus all the other Otus lenses and the 135mm F2 APO-Sonnar (which I consider an Otus). Perhaps the most highly-corrected lens I have owned is the Coastal Optics 60mm APO f/4 lens, which I eventually sold, not because it was over-corrected, but because it had too short of a focus throw, a nasty hot-spot, and (to my taste) did not handle mottled light well enough.

As for the negative comments, I would like to hear from other actual Zeiss Otus 28mm owners as to their experience with this (to me) magnificent lens. I did eventually note that most of the complainers about the Otus 28mm did not own one and most had never even tried one. Of course, everyone commented on how expensive it is, but with Nikon’s new 105mm f/1.4, we see that is a trend now, not a singularity. Yet, IMO, you usually get what you pay for, which is true with the Otus lenses.

As for having no character, I believe I understand what folks are saying, and when they point to lenses with character, like the Noct Nikkor and other much-loved lenses, they mean that some lenses have imperfections that result in a certain draw or character. I can attest to that and love them too.

Yet, there is a pristine beauty in a lens that has none of that kind of character, but is simply a blank canvas on which we can paint. Then it is up to us to provide the character. This is where I come down on this question. The Zeiss Otus 28mm has as much character as we do.

Having used the Zeiss Otus 28mm APO for some time now, I have to shake off those negative comments, as I continue to be amazed at the wonderful images that are possible with this lens. Those comments are, IMO, either sour grapes or I don’t know what. I thought it would be nice if other users of the Otus 28mm gave their comments.

And perhaps we don’t have to comment on all of the other 28mm lenses out there that are not Otus, at least until we talk about the Otus to some extent, please.

Sample image with the Nikon D810, and the Otus 28mm APO
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: The Character of the Zeiss Otus 28mm APO Lens
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:25:27 am »

I love my Otus 28mm f1.4, it is simply in a totally different league compared to any other wide lens I have used on 35mm cameras.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:20:48 am by BernardLanguillier »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:53 am »

Rumor has it that the next Otus will be 100mm.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:57:05 pm »

I'd like to see a 14mm Otus - or, even better,  a 24mm tilt-shift with >12mm shift.

As for Otus lenses having 'no character', I consider that a good thing. I don't want lenses to inject their own colour casts, blurring and other imperfections into an image. Just give me as sharp an image as possible, with as much micro-contrast as possible, with no distortion and minimal CA/coma/other optical imperfections, and I'll insert whatever 'character' I want in post-processing. The lens, like the camera, just needs to do the job and not get in the way of my interpretation of a scene.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:21:21 pm »

As for Otus lenses having 'no character', I consider that a good thing. I don't want lenses to inject their own colour casts, blurring and other imperfections into an image. Just give me as sharp an image as possible, with as much micro-contrast as possible, with no distortion and minimal CA/coma/other optical imperfections, and I'll insert whatever 'character' I want in post-processing. The lens, like the camera, just needs to do the job and not get in the way of my interpretation of a scene.

My thoughts, exactly. Here is one with the D810 and the Otus 28mm taken today. I know. It is dark, but that is how it looked to me, my impression. It does not have to appeal to everyone.

dwood

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »

and to add: all of the Otus lenses are spectacular but, IMO, one doesn't fully appreciate what these are all about by looking at JPEG's on a monitor. Viewing a print is the thing. There are a number of excellent lenses in the world but viewing prints from pictures made with the Otus family of glass was a revelation for me. They are immersive.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 12:28:18 pm »

and to add: all of the Otus lenses are spectacular but, IMO, one doesn't fully appreciate what these are all about by looking at JPEG's on a monitor. Viewing a print is the thing. There are a number of excellent lenses in the world but viewing prints from pictures made with the Otus family of glass was a revelation for me. They are immersive.

Looking at a 36 Mpx image at 100%  in ProPhoto RGB on a NEC Multisync PA302W is better IMO.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 05:25:39 am »

Hi,

My impression is that Otus lenses are f/1.4. Just as an example, the Apo Sonnar 135/2.0 is comparable to the Otuses in image quality, AFAIK, but it belongs to the Milvus family.

Best regards
Erik

I'd like to see a 14mm Otus - or, even better,  a 24mm tilt-shift with >12mm shift.

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up