Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor is intermittent  (Read 1329 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Monitor is intermittent
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:31 pm »

I'm using an Eizo CE210W monitor on an early 2008 MacPro. Just this week, the monitor started acting up - it goes blank (dark - but not quite black) for a second and then comes on again. But it seems now that as the day goes on, it becomes more frequent and sometimes stays blank for several seconds. The connections are all solid (the older connections that actually screw into place) and nothing else about the system has changed. At first I thought it was Capture One Pro software that was doing it, but it happens on other apps as well.

Any ideas of what might be wrong?
Mike Guilbault

rdonson

Re: Monitor is intermittent
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 01:11:11 pm »

I had a similar problem with a newer iMac and it was fixed by resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) on the iMac.

For my iMac what worked was:

- Shut down the Mac
- Disconnect the power cord
- Press and hold the Mac's power button for 5 seconds
- Release the button
- Reattach the power cord and reboot

I don't know if this will work on your MacPro....
Regards,
Ron

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »

thanks Ron... I'll give that a try... but I'm pretty sure my 8 year old monitor is giving up.
Mike Guilbault

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:31 am »

Mike:
Sounds like a circuit board problem. Solder joints can get flakey on boards after 6-8 years. Have you isolated the problem to this monitor, by plugging in another monitor? Could also be a problem with your graphics card? I wouldn't hesitate to call Ezo, if you are sure it's the monitor.

degrub

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 02:51:19 pm »

Did you move the monitor around just before it started going flaky ?

Even with the old style screw down connections, the cable pins will get oxide on them. a pink pearl eraser will clean up the male pins. Re-inserting a few times will help break the oxide on the female receiver pins. The second thing i would do is swap the cable. Often, it is just a matter of loosing the sync signal connection.

it could also be the logic board. Does it occur only when warm or also from first start ? Can you blow out dust ? top to bottom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up