Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon papers  (Read 4096 times)

Ernst Dinkla

New Canon papers
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:12:45 am »

They have not been mentioned on the Lula site I think;

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/10/19/canon-announces-trio-of-new-premium-fine-art-paper

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

howardm

Re: New Canon papers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:37:39 am »

Sounds a lot like Hot Press Bright/Natural.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:31:57 am »

Thanks Ernst, we should have a look at them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:37:53 am »

A "Bright White" paper free of OBAs??? That is something I want to see!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:48:37 am »

A "Bright White" paper free of OBAs??? That is something I want to see!

Well, you can already - Epson Legacy Platine and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta come immediately to mind. They are of course less bluish than OBA-laden papers such as Exhibition Fibre and Premium Luster, but they are arguably "bright white" to the extent they have a very high white point and near neutrality. Lest we get into the whiter-whites of the laundry soap commercials, for photographic and archival purposes such papers are legitimately within the bright white range and don't have OBAs.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Two Canon papers turn up ;-)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:29 pm »

Since I still have the PRO-2000 here, Canon just sent me two new papers to look at.

One is a fairly light 'Water resistant matte polypropylene' that is supposedly good for six months outdoors with the normal inks, but the other is the 310gsm Fine Art Smooth

I'll be giving both of them a good looking over next week :-)

Any queries - just let me know.

I'm not sure about the bright white and polished rag, but I'll see if they are available over here

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 03:58:20 pm »

Well, you can already - Epson Legacy Platine and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta come immediately to mind.
Beautiful papers but far from "bright white" (IMHO). Canson, the manufacturer of the "legacy" papers call their brightest papers that do not use OBAs as "natural white". Hahnemühle have some very white papers with OBAs they do not consider "bright white", only using this description on papers with heavy OBA content.
Of course this is a bit subjective, but in my mind bright white means something on the heavy OBA side.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »

Papers like the Canson Rag Photographique and Epson Legacy Fibre are both smooth matte cotton papers with no OBA, and a high level of whiteness. Canson lists the CIE whiteness of both the Rag photographique 310gsm and Platine Fibre Rag at about 89. Whitening agents in semigloss papers (or coatings) can include stuff like Barium Sulfate (baryta), titanium dioxide and white silica. However, I'm not sure (and companies are unlikely to share) what is put into the OBA-free matte cotton papers that helps get them so white.

I wouldn't be surprised, based on the description, if the "bright white" paper is similar to the Legacy fibre, while the "polished rag" is similar to a platine-type paper.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 03:14:39 pm by schertz »

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:16:11 pm »

Unless they changed it recently the Canon Polished Rag is the  Crane Silver Rag now owned and sold by Intellicoat. It was much warmer than Platine that is on the market now, which is quite bright for a non oba pigment white media. There all good. The Polished Rag like the original Silver Rag has more texture, but it's a nice texture for large things.

Still nowhere in the printer descriptions they even bringing up the topic of ink longevity. Looks like they are pushing for more intense saturation. Possibly a dye/pigment blend.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:20:46 pm by deanwork »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 06:38:54 pm »

Still nowhere in the printer descriptions they even bringing up the topic of ink longevity. Looks like they are pushing for more intense saturation. Possibly a dye/pigment blend.

Only M, PM and R are slightly more saturated. Rest seem to be the same. There's an impression of higher saturation when CO is applied - on the same print from SC-P9000 colors looked muted in comparison to PRO-4000, in contrary to gamut plots.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 07:57:22 pm »

hmm, so the GO is being used to expand the gamut as well as provide less gloss differential. That's smart.

Lately I've been printing on the Canson Hi Gloss media with the original lucia inks and that one is showing the best gloss smoothness of anything I've used.

Only M, PM and R are slightly more saturated. Rest seem to be the same. There's an impression of higher saturation when CO is applied - on the same print from SC-P9000 colors looked muted in comparison to PRO-4000, in contrary to gamut plots.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 08:06:26 pm »

Correct - Canon's basic intent here was to use CO for improving the perception of large gamut even though the statistical gamut is not as large for the same paper comparing between the SureColor-P and the new Canon Pro series printers. Looks as if the intent is reflected (no pun intended) in the results.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 01:39:28 am »

hmm, so the GO is being used to expand the gamut as well as provide less gloss differential. That's smart.

Lately I've been printing on the Canson Hi Gloss media with the original lucia inks and that one is showing the best gloss smoothness of anything I've used.

They call it "Chroma Optimizer" instead of "Gloss Optimizer" for a good reason ;)
New LUCIA PRO is way smoother than LUCIA EX on high glossy media, gradients are also smoother thanks to much better screening algorithms. And the depth of black is in a league of it's own in comparison to any other water based pigment printers. The side effect of using high amount of CO is also unparalleled scratch resistance of the print, so the mounting of baryta/platine prints is much less stressing.

Unfortunately the B&W mode is still not perfect, hope that TBW will support PRO series soon.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:42:58 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 10:47:13 am »

Unfortunately the B&W mode is still not perfect, hope that TBW will support PRO series soon.

Could you expand on that a little? What do you see as the weakness?

Of course TBW doesn't do windows :(

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 04:27:49 pm »

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
quick look at Premium Fine art smooth
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 04:00:06 pm »

If it's of interest I've had some Canon Premium Fine Art Smooth paper here to test with the PRO-2000

I've written up a few notes at

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/paper/canon_prem_fas.html

Quite a nice paper finish although the surface is relatively easily marked if not handled with some care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up