Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: panoramic cameras  (Read 5002 times)

ben eastman

panoramic cameras
« on: July 04, 2006, 02:23:50 am »

i need to get ahold of a panoramic camera i have never had one so i dont kno what all exatly to look for or what price ill be looking at so can someone please give me some advice or something on where to look for a nice panoramic camera

tived

• http://
panoramic cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 11:40:44 pm »

i need to get ahold of a panoramic camera i have never had one so i dont kno what all exatly to look for or what price ill be looking at so can someone please give me some advice or something on where to look for a nice panoramic camera
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69724\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Linhof 6x17 expensive
Fuji GX-617
Xpan both are discontinued, the later uses 35mm

and there are some chinese 6x17 and 6x24 which are a whole lot cheaper (look at ebay)

then you need to add a suitable lens aka 90mm schneider XL would be a nice lens

ohh,    these are currently only used with film

hope this can help

Henrik

Anon E. Mouse

• http://
panoramic cameras
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:46:36 am »

What kind of panoramic camera? A flat image plane camera? Small, medium, or large format? If medium format, 6x12, 6x17, or 6x24? Manufacturers include Linholf, Fuji, Fotoman, Horseman, Widepan, Wisner, Hasselblad Xpan, Art panorama. Art Panorama, Fuji, and Hasselbled are only available secondhand. Do you want a swing lens camera? The Noblex, Widelux, KST widescan, Horizon, and Widepan are available - Widelux is only available used. A completely rotating camera? Roundshot, Globoscope, or old Kodak circut cameras are your choice.

The flat plane cameras give images more of a "natural" look. Center filters are a neccessary evil. Maximum field of view is limited to about 100 degrees. Swing lens cameras give larger fields of view (140 degrees) and no center filter is required, but since there is no distortion because of a curved film plane, they tend to bend receeding lines and give an "unatural" appearance. Rotating cameras give 360 degree panos.

I would do a search for panoramic photography to see some of the work these cameras produce. Yahoo has a panoramic catagory in their photo sites. You can also look at the International Panoramic Photographer Association site.

As far as prices, the cheapest is the Horizon swing lens camera. Maybe about $600. The next jump will be the swing lens medium-format Widepan or 35mm Widelux or Noblex at about $1500. The flat film-plane Fotoman is next at about $2000 or more depending on the lens you put on it. After that the Noblex medium-format cameras and Roundshot cameras start coming in at $3000 and up. The Linholf and Horseman 6x12 and 6x17 cameras start around $4000 and don't forget the $400+ center filter.

Another way is a 6x12 or 6x17 back for a 4x5 or 5x7 view camera. Or simply crop a photograph to a panoramic format. Stiching is a simple method with digital cameras, but any moving elements in the image become a challenge. Some cameras like form Mamiya and Bronica come with 35mm panoramic adapters of backs. They can be a solution for the occasional panorama, but they don't make goor panoramic cameras - they simply crop the medium-format frame and they don't handle well for the job.

Naturally, if you could give a little more detail about what you want with a panoramic camera and what you expect from it, we might be able to help more. BTW, there are specific technical problems panoramic photography introduces. These cameras require a bit of effort on the photographer's part to get the most out of them. It is also not a cheap area of photography.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
panoramic cameras
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:10:37 am »

Another way is a 6x12 or 6x17 back for a 4x5 or 5x7 view camera. Or simply crop a photograph to a panoramic format. Stiching is a simple method with digital cameras, but any moving elements in the image become a challenge. Some cameras like form Mamiya and Bronica come with 35mm panoramic adapters of backs. They can be a solution for the occasional panorama, but they don't make goor panoramic cameras - they simply crop the medium-format frame and they don't handle well for the job.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have one of these Chinese Da li 6*17 for by Ebony 45 (something on this should be published on this site soon), it works OK overall, but there is bad problem with internal reflections dur to large un-treated metallic surface.

But it is the cheapest way to do 6*17 if you have a 4*5 camera.

Regards,
Bernard

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
panoramic cameras
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 08:29:27 am »

I have one of these Chinese Da li 6*17 for by Ebony 45 (something on this should be published on this site soon), it works OK overall, but there is bad problem with internal reflections dur to large un-treated metallic surface.

But it is the cheapest way to do 6*17 if you have a 4*5 camera.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the Shenhao 617 back which is similar to the Da Yi, but uses a one-part pressure plate. Apart from the fact that the masking of the film is not perfectly straight, I have not experienced any problems with film flatness or internal reflections. I have used mine with the 80mm Super Symar XL with good results. The only thing is that the recommended Schneider IIIb ND centre filter does not provide enough correction.
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

piksi

panoramic cameras
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:59:08 pm »

Well, since the good old Horizont from the soviet era is the only real panoramic camera I own, I can comment only on that. You can read my subjective review from: http://pi-xi.net/reviews/?p=4

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up