Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight of the Gods  (Read 1261 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Twilight of the Gods
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:12:57 pm »

The weather was miserable here in northern Utah yesterday. As my wife and I drove back from Ogden dark clouds rolled over the mountains from the east but to the west some open sky was visible. As we arrived home I was curious to see what was really going on up in the mountains. She knew the look and said be safe as I departed. And as I drove indeed, big drops of rain started hitting the car with force and my gas light started flashing, I was driving on fumes. This was starting well! Forced to pull over and fill up the tank, the rain REALLY started coming down in buckets and the thought I was wasting my time blinked in my head but hey, I was here so the decision was made to carry on. As I started my ascent up HW 167 past Mt Green, the rain halted but dark clouds hung over the Wasatch mountains, drama unfolding as the light started to go haywire from the frenzied atmosphere. I stopped to capture the moments, but drove on higher, anxious to see what I could see. Finally I made an illegal turn and pulled off the shoulder of the road, grabbing my trusty E-M5KII and my Panasonic 35-100mm lens as I hurled myself out of the car. I literally ran as the sight before me was stunning. The autumn foliage was there, fading but still alive however what truly caught my eye was the sky. The clouds had pulled back and light from the setting sun struck this home of the ancients, this Mount Olympus setting it afire. Finally the light began to fade, the clouds closing the door to the temple but not before I was treated to a fleeting but beautiful, intimate, moment....twilight of the Gods.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:32:51 am by mseawell »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Twilight of the Gods
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 04:34:22 am »

Nice. Can we see a colour version:)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 04:57:00 am »

The B&W looks perfectly OK to me. Who needs colour?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:51:54 am »

The B&W looks perfectly OK to me. Who needs colour?

+1. Any chance of taming the highlights just a little?

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:55:11 am »

My solution to the over bright highlights is a slight infilling of yellow? Nice composition but a slightly harsh rendering overall. An image with possibilities.

Sean H

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:04:19 am »

Great picture and an accurate title.

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15:50 am »

The light is very "biblical", I like this shot a lot and as noted above, the title is perfect.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up