Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowstone Winter workshop suggestions?  (Read 6528 times)

PlatonicCaveman

Yellowstone Winter workshop suggestions?
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:15:46 am »

My wife and I have planned to do a January Yellowstone trip with a workshop that seems to only use snowcoaches.  While we are not hard core winter sports kind of folks (even being from the sunny south, we are aware of and respect the weather in Jan in Wy), we are very interested in snowmobile access to some of the areas.

Question is who does the BEST winter workshop that doesn't do the cattle car thing...or cattle cars aside...the best workshop period?

Recommendations?

Roy

matt4626

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:01:52 pm »

I've been doing Yellowstone in winter on my own after my first trip with Van Os. They did a good job but it was a little crowded. Lamar Valley roads are open year round so an SUV is a good bet and that's where you''ll will most likely see the most wildlife. We rent snowmobles in West Yellowstone to see the rest of the Park. You can join a small group or hire your own guide. (Guides are required for all snowmobles in the park, at least they were in 2005/2006).
I have been told that there are several Snowmoble Photo Tour operators but I don't have any names.
Hope that helps.

PlatonicCaveman

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 02:51:36 pm »

I've been doing Yellowstone in winter on my own after my first trip with Van Os. They did a good job but it was a little crowded. Lamar Valley roads are open year round so an SUV is a good bet and that's where you''ll will most likely see the most wildlife. We rent snowmobles in West Yellowstone to see the rest of the Park. You can join a small group or hire your own guide. (Guides are required for all snowmobles in the park, at least they were in 2005/2006).
I have been told that there are several Snowmoble Photo Tour operators but I don't have any names.
Hope that helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The crowded part was what we were really hoping to avoid as much as possible.  I cannot see carrying our equipment, heavy winter gear, tripods, and ourselves in a snowcoach with 5 other people doing the same thing....especially with me at 6'5" and 275...<G>

Thanks for the reply!

Roy

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:34:05 pm »

John & Barbara Gerlach do a pair of weeklong snowmobile workshop in Yellowstone every year; according to their website (http://www.gerlachnaturephoto.com) in 2007 this will be late January/early February. They are personable and very experienced, having led workshops for many years. Excellent teaching for beginners and intermediate photographers. I did several workshops with them in Michigan and enjoyed the experience. About the only downside is that John's corny humor can be an acquired taste.

PlatonicCaveman

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:20:04 pm »

John & Barbara Gerlach do a pair of weeklong snowmobile workshop in Yellowstone every year; according to their website (http://www.gerlachnaturephoto.com) in 2007 this will be late January/early February. They are personable and very experienced, having led workshops for many years. Excellent teaching for beginners and intermediate photographers. I did several workshops with them in Michigan and enjoyed the experience. About the only downside is that John's corny humor can be an acquired taste.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well based on a few postings and a couple of conversations with folks that have been the workshop route, we have decided to cancel the workshop trip and start prep for "rolling our own".  A couple of recent guidebooks and a good snowmobile guide (required now) and we have our own private workshop <G>.

Thanks for the suggestions.

alexrodriguez

• http://www.Alejandro-Rodriguez.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 11:24:43 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been with the Gerlach's several times. Both in Michigan and in Yellowstone. My last trip with them was in January of 2005 on a snowmobile tour throughout Yellowstone. It was spectacular and I had a great time. The important thing was I ended up with some wonderful shots. John knows exactly were to go get great shots depending on the weather. They even took us outside the park where we went to the top of "two top mountain?" and got some great shots. Frankly I would not do it any other way. Having seen "other" operators they are not in tune with the needs of a photographer. Bright sun? Lets go see water falls, not with John! I am currently planning a summer 2007 trip on my own but this is only after three trips to Yellowstone and two of them were with the Gerlachs. They are great!

Alex

thewanderer

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 01:51:28 pm »

Jess Lee out of eastern idaho and dale franz and wife Lori out of Cody WY are two others,, tight groups or individual instruction,, both are VERY familiar with YS, favorite haunts of several of the wolf packs, they are also in tune with some of the local professionals out of gardiner, so when a subject becomes known, they usually know about it,,,

i can tell you, you can drive/snowmobile/track, whatever your means of transportation,, but if you dont know whats where,, you will do a lot of sight seeing and not finding the good action..that would be where the above local guys would have an advantage,, check there sites,, and you can see there results...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:52:08 pm by thewanderer »

alexrodriguez

• http://www.Alejandro-Rodriguez.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 01:55:41 pm »

that would be where the above local guys would have an advantage[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is why the Gerlach's are top in my book. I have been with them twice to Yellowstone. They live 15 min outside the park.

Alex

jess lee

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:50:49 pm »

John and Dale both have good trips.
You might want to consider the varity of images and the ease of image making while spending a week on a snowmobile or exclusively in a snow coach.

If you should like to see the results from many of my tours you can have a look here  http://www.jessleephotos.com/adventures.htm  

No matter how you choose to go it will be a great trip. Winter in Yellowstone is not to be missed.
Best Wishes and Good Luck

Jess Lee

davaglo

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 08:09:12 pm »

I've been thinking about an autumn shoot, after the crowds have gone and the leaves are turning. Anybody know a time frame for this? The Parks Dept. won't give me the last busy weekend of the summer season.

Jerry
jrg

jess lee

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:33:09 pm »

I've been thinking about an autumn shoot, after the crowds have gone and the leaves are turning. Anybody know a time frame for this? The Parks Dept. won't give me the last busy weekend of the summer season.

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It depends on your idea of busy. From the middle of August till the roads close there is a decline in visitors. Of course Labor day will have quite a few locals. Yellowstone is not a great place for Autumn color but it is close to Grand Teton which is one of the best. That usually happens toward the end of September.
Pages: [1]   Go Up