Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad h6d-100c?  (Read 13605 times)

J_M

Hasselblad h6d-100c?
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:33:10 am »

Hi there,

This is my first post; I’m new here.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hasselblad h6d-100c?

I’ve already tested the h6d-50c during the summer and found the battery life to be completely abysmal. This is very probably A. a firmware issue (wasn’t up to date), and B. operator error (I wasn’t informed that having the wifi on all the the time could drain the battery so much!) I tested the camera on a commercial production and shot tethered for about 10 hours each day. The shoot lasted three days.

I’m considering upgrading from my H3DII. My H3DII can shoot tethered all day and I never ever have to change the battery.

Besides the battery issue, the 50c was a pleasure.

However, something tells me that the 100c will be a slightly different animal, when it comes to overall workflow. Has anyone had a chance to test the 100c in studio, outdoor, and or lowlight/night conditions? Are you happy with it? Is there anything particularly irritating you’ve experienced?

Also, has anyone experienced the slightly blurry images you sometimes get when shooting handheld (1/400th) like I’ve had on the PhaseOne XF IQ3? Basically one of every three images was blurry; yes the exposures were all shot at the same time while standing still. (My P1 dealer said it is a known issue and has to do with the amount of megapixels packed on to the chip.)

Any help or answers are appreciated!

Best,

J_M

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
Re: Hasselblad h6d-100c?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »

Hi J_M,

I can't comment on the H6D-100c but I own a H6D-50c. The battery use when tethered is being addressed in a future firmware update. The USB cable currently does not power the back or charge the battery when tethered, but this is apparently in the works. The sooner it comes the better!

Ben

william

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:13:20 pm »

I don't have any problems handholding the XF-100 at 1/400th, even with the gigantic 40-80mm zoom lens.  The only time I've gotten problematic shake at a shutter speed that high has been with the 240mm lens, which is both heavy and long (the physical length and extra magnification magnify shake).

I'm assuming that the dealer who said this is a "known issue" due to the "high megapixel count" was referring to the fact that with more megapixels, you're inclined to zoom in further on screen to pixel peep and therefore the shake is more visible? I'd want to compare a print from a shot taken hand held with the XF-100 to a print from a shot made under the same conditions with the same lens but a lower megapixel count back before concluding that the number of megapixels *causes* greater shake or greater visibility of shake at the same viewing distance. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:43:17 pm by william »

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »

Hey J_M,

Battery life was actually a surprise to me, more in line with the CMOS than the CCD I'm use to.  What batteries were you using (2900ma, 3200ma)?  Yes, wifi kills batteries, and depends on screen use as well.  As for shake, I've been fine with 1/160th hand held with the 80mm.  I've done slower when bracing and with mirror lockup.  My calculation was a rough 1/(2x focal length) for shutter speed, but also felt I could crank up the ISO to get it.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

SrMi

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:56:04 pm »

Hey J_M,

Battery life was actually a surprise to me, more in line with the CMOS than the CCD I'm use to.  What batteries were you using (2900ma, 3200ma)?  Yes, wifi kills batteries, and depends on screen use as well.  As for shake, I've been fine with 1/160th hand held with the 80mm.  I've done slower when bracing and with mirror lockup.  My calculation was a rough 1/(2x focal length) for shutter speed, but also felt I could crank up the ISO to get it.

-Joe

What "Extra Mirror Delay" value do you use for handheld shooting? On H5D50c I use 50ms.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:11:19 am »

I tend to use 100ms - it's slower, but it forces me to commit earlier to a shot.

-Joe

J_M

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:52:39 am »

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the replies!

The issue with the battery really irritates me. It's like selling a car where the brakes work most of the time, but not always as fast as they should.
As far as the batteries go – I used four in total when I tested the 50c in the summer. 2 brand new ones direct from Hassi. 2 of my used ones that I use with my h3dii. I was getting about 60-90 minutes (tethered!) per battery before having to swap. All batteries were fully charged every night and recharged on the fly during the production. 
My main concern is how to deal with shooting landscapes without having to carry a backpack full of replacement batteries along.

I'm going to test the 100c at the beginning of next week and have the option to keep (purchase) it if I'm convinced. However, the fact that there are exactly zero reviews of the 100c online are a big red flag. I'm not interested in being one of the first to get their hands on it. I just want a good quality tool to get my work done. Anyone know of a site where they review the 100c? (was hoping this was the right place. :/  )

As to the blurry p1 images I experienced. I'm chalking that up to operator error and the fact that the camera is pretty heavy. I'm guessing that after a few days of use, I'd have all the little issues you have with every camera ironed out. It was surprising, but my testing wasn't exactly scientific. Everything else about the camera was rock solid.

Either or, I'm still on the fence about staying with Hasselblad or jumping over to P1.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:25:56 am »

Cannot speak to Hasselblad but in the P1 side and battery life the power share feature between the IQ3 and XF is a very good asset.

In normal use for me I do a lot of both Live view and post view at 100%. On older P1 backs both CCD and CMOS battery life for the back was nominal.

With power share the back battery will get down to 25 percent but just stays there as the  XF battery has so much more life. You can get a lot more use in the field this way than if the back is on a older DF series camera or a tech camera.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:29:10 am »

There hasn't been a lot of reviews because it's really not a huge difference from the -50c.  Bigger chip, bigger file, longer time between shots, and uses more energy.  I have to say the 2 days I spent with it have produced some amazing work that has no equal.  Then again I shoot to card, and got over 700 shots from 2 batteries.  Tethering doesn't allow the back to sleep as much, and USB3 can't provide power at a level that matters. 

Here's one of them - http://gigapan.com/gigapans/191683 - I have others but have been holding off.  Prints at 62x83 are just stunning - and to get that from every single image.

The upside to the XF dual battery is also a downside in weight, but like everything - there are trade-offs.

-Joe

BAB

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:24:16 pm »

Joe
Nice idea for a huge image question the image seems to get progressively less sharp. Did you hand hold this if so what shutter speed and lens combo if you remember.
I have the h6d-100 on order they are telling me delivery will not be until December sometime, any comments on hand held vs tripod?
Also did the unit you used have a leveling feature?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:39 pm »

Had to look, 1/500th f9 with the 80mm lens, iso 200.  I think between the DoF, defraction, and the push/pull on the file in Lightroom helps the less sharp feel.  I need to go back and start with Phocus 3.1 and work forward.

The best method of shooting will be with a tripod.  If you can't swing it with a tripod, faster than 1/500th _should_ be fine.  I mean, I was doing aerial shots from a heli with it and they're AMAZING.

-Joe

BAB

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 10:56:01 pm »

Thanks for the reply makes me feel better about the up coming purchase quality-wise.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:41 pm »

I have spent time with the samples I shot with the H6d-100c and various lenses.

There are many things to like, but on the negative side I was surprised to see the amount of purple fringing along high contrast edges. The 50mm II seemed particularly affected by this. It is easy to fix with LR but seems very challenging with Phocus 3.1.

What is everybody's experience?

Cheers,
Bernard

Joe Towner

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 12:38:07 am »

I haven't seen the purple fringing, but that may be more luck and that the scene's where I'd have seen it I was using a different focal length.  I had a blast with the 28, 50-110, 80, 210 and using my 1.7x with the 80 and 210.

I need to block out a few hours and look at everything in Phocus 3.1 - I'm too Lightroom dependent.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:52:42 am »

Hi Bernard,

That is a big surprise!

Do you think it is lateral or axial chroma? Sounds from your descrition as lateral chroma and that should be fixed in Phocus!

Hasselblad used to have a philosophy that lateral chroma, vignetting and distortion could be handled in raw processing and the raw files are supposed to have all data needed for such corrections.

Could you post an example?

Best regards
Erik

It is easy to fix with LR but seems very challenging with Phocus 3.1.

What is everybody's experience?

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 05:04:38 am »

Did you have the Lens Corrections box ticked in Phocus and then the CA , Distortion and Vignetting boxes as well. Vital with HC, HCD lenses.

Yes, I did, which is the default at least in Phocus 3.1.

It didn't help with the purple fringing I saw.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 08:10:22 am »

Well, that is a worry.

Phocus lens corrections have always been promoted as an intergral part of the H system.

This would probably not be an issue in a large majority of images.

I was just surprised to see this popping up again. I don't see this often, or at all, in my Nikon files/Zeiss lenses + C1 Pro.

Cheers,
Bernard

delfalex

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »

Hi Bernard,

Good to hear about you getting your 100c - am interested hearing about the CA on the H lenses - do you have access to try it with a decent HC120II as it comes across as one of their best corrected lenses on a 50MS. I'd be interesting to know what Fstop you notice as being sharpest before diffraction kicking in - on the 6um 50MP it was began around F8.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 08:15:54 pm »

Good to hear about you getting your 100c - am interested hearing about the CA on the H lenses - do you have access to try it with a decent HC120II as it comes across as one of their best corrected lenses on a 50MS. I'd be interesting to know what Fstop you notice as being sharpest before diffraction kicking in - on the 6um 50MP it was began around F8.

Hi Alex,

I have not bought a H6D-100c yet, still considering whether it is worth the cash. If I decide to proceed, the the 120II is probably going to be part of the package, although I am a bit concerned by its huge side.

Cheers,
Bernard

delfalex

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 09:01:58 am »

If I decide to proceed, the the 120II is probably going to be part of the package, although I am a bit concerned by its huge side.

Hi Bernard,
understood - and yes it does weigh down the camera - the 150 is more portable but my couple of experiences with it showed that it didn't stand up to the 120II in terms of edge sharpness and CA at closer quarters (<6 metres).

Alex
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up