Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for iPhone 7 Plus users: can you get the images of both cameras  (Read 7610 times)

jsch

Hi,

is it possible to press the shutter release once with the iPhone 7 Plus and get the images of both cameras to open them for example in Photoshop as layers? Or do you have to take 2 separate images and change the focal length?

Thank you,
Johannes

Dr Tone

Re: Question for iPhone 7 Plus users: can you get the images of both cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:26 pm »

Hi,

is it possible to press the shutter release once with the iPhone 7 Plus and get the images of both cameras to open them for example in Photoshop as layers? Or do you have to take 2 separate images and change the focal length?

Thank you,
Johannes

As they are different primes lenses with different focal lengths, you wouldn't know what each was focused on outside of the different field of view.

Dr Tone

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »

Sorry, replace "outside" with "because".

I mean: you focus the wide angle and the zoom wouldn't necessarily be in focus and vice versa.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:26:19 am »

My wife is a fan of rose gold-I just bought her the 7+ in rose gold as a gift but it will be a few weeks until it arrives.  Of course, the delay hasn't stopped the missus.  She already bought a rose gold protector case to match the rose gold phone.  I tried to explain the two cameras to her but she's only concerned what outfits the rose gold phone will complement the best.  I'm thinking of buying her a fur coat that we can dye rose gold.  Can you imagine what that will look like when she pulls out the new rose gold iPhone.  I'm really excited about it too.  I might get a rose gold tie to go with my rose gold cuff links and I can't wait until Apple comes out with a rose gold watch so our extremities will match.  Rose gold is such a wonderful color she keeps telling me.  I'm finally convinced.  I don't even know why they make those other boring colors.  Rose gold for ever!

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 02:57:35 am »

My wife is a fan of rose gold-I just bought her the 7+ in rose gold as a gift but it will be a few weeks until it arrives.  Of course, the delay hasn't stopped the missus.  She already bought a rose gold protector case to match the rose gold phone.  I tried to explain the two cameras to her but she's only concerned what outfits the rose gold phone will complement the best.  I'm thinking of buying her a fur coat that we can dye rose gold.  Can you imagine what that will look like when she pulls out the new rose gold iPhone.  I'm really excited about it too.  I might get a rose gold tie to go with my rose gold cuff links and I can't wait until Apple comes out with a rose gold watch so our extremities will match.  Rose gold is such a wonderful color she keeps telling me.  I'm finally convinced.  I don't even know why they make those other boring colors.  Rose gold for ever!
LOL

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 03:01:48 am »

BTW is any source informing about the real size of both camera sensors? I know they're both 12Mpx, and some EXIF data seem to indicate the larger focal length is combined with a smaller sensor (kinda fake telephoto). Are the exact sensor sizes available yet?.

Regards

www.guillermoluijk.com

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 04:24:11 am »

BTW is any source informing about the real size of both camera sensors?

I don't know of any information on the 7+ but Chipworks have released a teardown report on the 7:
( http://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/apple-iphone-7-teardown).

The iSight camera chip was sourced from Sony and fabricated using its Exmor RS technology platform.  The 12 MP chip features a Bayer RGB color filter array (CFA) and embedded phase detection autofocus (PDAF) pixels. The die size is 5.16 mm x 6.25 mm (32.3 mm2) as measured from the edges of the die stack.   We expect our planned analysis will show the CMOS image sensor (CIS) die to be fabricated by Sony in its 90 nm technology generation.  The through silicon via (TSV) patterning tells us it’s a 2nd generation Exmor RS sensor and not 3rd generation Exmor RS with direct bond interconnect (DBI).  The TSVs are used to connect the CIS chip to an underlying image signal processor (ISP), which is not to be confused with the complementary ISP functions embedded within the A10 chip.

We are anxious to see the results of our technical analysis of the iSight’s ISP.  Sony originally stacked its Exmor RS CIS chips with 65 nm generation ISPs, then 40 nm and most recently 28 nm bulk CMOS. There have been rumors of Sony collaborating with GLOBALFOUNDRIES for stacked chip ISP production on 22 nm FDX, however with an announced mass production date of mid-2017 it is likely not in use in the iPhone 7.

Dr Tone

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:08:23 pm »

iOS 10.1 was released with a portrait mode for the 7+.  It uses both cameras at the same time to produce a shallow depth of field and blur the background around your subject.

Not sure if this will be available in raw in Lightroom as well some day or it's a jpg engine only thing.

Manoli

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:47:23 pm »

You don't need a 7+, just released is 'FabFocus' - shallow DOF/ Portrait mode app with manual override, jpg only.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fabfocus/id1080434313?mt=8

iOS 10.1 was released with a portrait mode for the 7+.  It uses both cameras at the same time to produce a shallow depth of field and blur the background around your subject.

Not sure if this will be available in raw in Lightroom as well some day or it's a jpg engine only thing.

Pavel

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:18:46 pm »

I've been using the 7+ for two weeks now, and it is a large part of my decision to get rid of my Olympus four thirds gear, which I bought for it's portability and my desire to use a decent IQ camera on my long bicycle touring trips.  The iPhone 7+ is good enough for me, its utility just simply blew me away, that I just don't think I need to drag around my Oly gear any more.

28 rather than about the 32mm equivalent focal length with the 1x makes a nice difference (though I really wish they will move to a 24 equivalent lens later) and the 56 combo is perfect.  The portrait mode is also something that is "good enough" for my travel photos.

But more than anything I think that this is simply the first step towards a new future, similar to the one that Oscar Barnack started, oh so long ago.  History tells us that convenience always seems to win over absolute image quality. The iPhone 7+ is the new embodiment of that ideal, in a phone.  The "landscape" will never be the same.

Only the noise at low light is something not ready for "prime time".

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:39:06 pm »

I rather wish that they had put the 2 focal lengths in the regular 7. The 7 plus is so big for my small hands, and small pockets.

krafa

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 06:15:32 am »

Yes, I took tons of picture using iPhone 7 but don't know about plus.
Me and my friend "Gustavo Woltmann" just start a new website and we put all our product images using our iPhone 7.
I believe everyone will think images had took from DSLR cam :D

Thanks. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up