Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jon Cone Piezography-Pro inks!  (Read 7750 times)

unesco

Re: Jon Cone Piezography-Pro inks!
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 04:10:31 AM »

As the creator of the ink I can't say I'm independent. Initial demand was so strong that we sold completely out in a week. More raw materials are arriving at our facility in early January for more production. We will then have enough made to fulfill more orders.

On bare scientific levels, we are getting to a dMax of 1.82 with the new matte black ink on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag (specifically on the x900 series printers. Some dmax varies from printhead model by a few percentage points.)

Best,
Walker

Hi Walker,

It is great to be able to chat with the ink creator!
So, good, it looks like you've cought up with HP Vivera density on matt and are a bit beyond Epson HD what was great improvement for my 3880-->P800 switch.

Number of questions comes to my mind:
1) What level of neutrality (and its homegenity through shades scale) are you able to achieve with Pro setup compared to K7?

2) As for discussion about 7>4>3, I still wonder, as written in my initial post in this thread, what is split of quality reason between the new ink and QTR software? I print a lot with QTR and Epson K3 and it gives outstanding quality compared to ABW. I just wonder if it is going to be better (and in which circumstances) when switching my 3880 to Piezography (K7 or Pro).
So, what makes the show - ink or QTR?

3) Are you going to have preset curves simulating your K7 look, especially carbon and selenium?

4) Where is a difference between 8 and 10 channels setup? What gets improved - light tones?

Best Wishes (B&W) in the New Year

wblackwell

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »

The piezography website recommends sourcing an used Epson 4900 7900 or 9900, flushing it and converting it to piezography. Do these printers suffer from the same clogging issues with piezo inks as they do with original Epson inks? I would like to try piezography but it's not available for my P800 (and maybe never will be) and I'm not a frequent printer (I've had zero clogging issues with P800 so far).

Separately, Epson sells continuous ink tank systems in Asia and here in cheaper parts of Europe (the L800/L1800 models) which use 6 dye based inks and seem to side step the whole issue of chipped ink cartridges - is that something that could be converted to piezography?

Sorry for the late reply. Piezo ink does not clog print heads anywhere near epson ink. This is well known among current piezo users so don't take if from me.

At cone editions we recently got back to our pro 9900 printer after a month dry (humidifier off, we all make mistakes). Not a single nozzle was missing on boot. The "wet" time for this new ink is an improvement as well.

Best,
Walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donbga

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »

Sorry for the late reply. Piezo ink does not clog print heads anywhere near epson ink. This is well known among current piezo users so don't take if from me.

At cone editions we recently got back to our pro 9900 printer after a month dry (humidifier off, we all make mistakes). Not a single nozzle was missing on boot. The "wet" time for this new ink is an improvement as well.

Best,
Walker

So what is the official release date for the new Piezography-Pro inks? Can these inks be used successfully with PiezoDN?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

wblackwell

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »

So what is the official release date for the new Piezography-Pro inks? Can these inks be used successfully with PiezoDN?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Second release for pro is soon. I'm in the clean room next week making it but it takes some time after for bottling and fulfillment.

Initial Beta PiezoDN pro curves are completed but they will need some tweaking before they can be finalized.

-walker

richardboutwell

• Black and White Mastery
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »

I did some tests of the new MK over the weekend and wrote a blog post about it yesterday. I made tests with two different measurement devices on Hahnemühle Museum Etching and (i1Pro and SpyderPrint) and get consistent densities between 1.78-1.81 depending on how it is measured (i1 Pro in the tray will give slightly lower densities than directly on the paper, but directly on the paper will scuff it and give lower densities after repeated measurements). I will fire up the SpectroScan when I get back in town next week and see if I can get cleaner readings from that. 

Here is a link to the full blog post: http://www.bwmastery.com/blog/testing-the-new-piezography-matte-black
Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up