Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000 driver: "Prevention of print data loss" ?  (Read 4406 times)

paulbk

Canon Pro-1000 driver: "Prevention of print data loss" ?
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:43:35 am »

Canon Pro-1000 driver > Properties > Page Setup > Print Options > Prevention of Print Data Loss
Selections: Off, On (Weak), On (Strong)

I turned mine Off. This is not explained clearly in the user manual, or anywhere else. I assume this is to prevent data hacking via the printer from outside the local network. My printer is isolated, I don't need this protection.

Comments?
paul b.k.
New England, USA

howardm

Re: Canon Pro-1000 driver: "Prevention of print data loss" ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:30:34 pm »

I can only theorize that it provides off/low/high levels of encryption between the printer and computer. 

If so, that is a pretty rare issue, esp. for images.  Plus, depending on the printer CPU etc, it could slow down the printing process.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »

It is a LOSSY compression of the data that should be used as a last resort when experiencing print problems due to the data volume. Yes, it will reduce the image quality, so... best to leave it off. Check the snap below:

paulbk

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »

Thanks Geraldo.
Your explanation fits the user manual's tortured English. I read the manual section you point to. Did not understand what Canon was trying to say. Given that Pro-1000 is a professional grade printer, I would dismiss (as in, no more job) any engineer that suggests using a lossy compression algo to limit data sent to the printer. Worse, "On (Weak)" was default for my setup!!

I turned it off.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:34:48 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

paulbk

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:39:08 pm »

fyi.. If you google [ prevent printer data loss ]....... most hits are about malicious hacking via the printer.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

howardm

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:12:25 am »

WTF?  I can't even imagine that data corruption and *LOSS* is a configurable option for an output device.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 08:26:02 am »

I would suggest it has nothing to do with encryption or compression, but about caching.

At one extreme, you could transfer all data to the data before it starts to print. At the other, it would start to print as soon as the first bits arrived.

In the first case, accidentally kicking the cable out (or the wifi being corrupted by the neighbour's lawn mower, you lose nothing. In the second, you've trashed a print.

I'd think "off" is a poor choice unless you are in a big hurry and have a very good (wired) connection.

howardm

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 09:05:18 am »

I dont think that's the case.  Throughout printer history, the onboard RAM to hold the incoming data has always been limited and a *cost* to the mfgr.  That was one of the things that started the overpriced 'on-board disk'  option/feature to many printers.

I've never looked at how big the temporary output file (after the driver turns it into image bits for the printer to receive) but I'm sure that these days, they are very large.

paulbk

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:58:44 pm »

The brief statements below seem to fit a compression algo. Especially selecting ON (Strong) = "This may reduce print quality."
====
Is print data extremely large? (Windows)
Click Print Options on Page Setup sheet of the printer driver. Then make sure Prevention of Print Data Loss is set to On (Weak) in the dialog that appears.

If printing does not start even though Prevention of Print Data Loss is set to On (Weak), set it to On (Strong) and start printing again.
* This may reduce print quality.

from here: http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/PRO-1000%20series/EN/ERR/err_ug_print01_0100.html

paul b.k.
New England, USA

howardm

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:10 pm »

Any one know if this setting exists on Mac driver too?

Very weird. Let's spend thousand upon thousand in the imaging chain and then toss it all due to poor print spooling.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:04:33 pm »

New info on this regard from Mike Chaney, creator of Qimage:

There's some misinformation on the internet about this option.  Some believe that the data loss prevention uses some sort of lossy compression.  It has nothing to do with compression.  All it does is change the native PPI of the driver so that software with simple print algorithms (basically everything but Qimage) doesn't get overwhelmed or run out of RAM.  That option should be turned off in Qimage because Qimage won't have any problem with the extra data.  The native PPI of any driver is just a "request" by the driver of what resolution to send.  You can send less... or more, and the driver will still handle it.  So simply put, the data loss prevention settings on a Canon are just a division of 1200:

Off - 1200 PPI
Weak - 600 PPI
Strong - 300 PPI

So, my previous statement was wrong. The manual is indeed poorly written/translated and leads to wrong conclusions. Looks like the "Prevention of print data loss" simply specifies the required PPI by the driver.

Regards.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 05:57:06 am »

New info on this regard from Mike Chaney, creator of Qimage:

So, my previous statement was wrong. The manual is indeed poorly written/translated and leads to wrong conclusions. Looks like the "Prevention of print data loss" simply specifies the required PPI by the driver.

Yes, it should be made clearer that the PPI is throttled by these settings, rather than pointing at a potential data loss due to other causes.

On the positive side though, Mike Chaney has now added a new feature to Qimage Ultimate, that allows running a printer in 'overdrive' mode, i.e. at double the native resolution (so 1200/1440 PPI instead of 600/720 PPI for Canon and HP / Epson printers with 'finest detail'). That will create even higher resolution output (if the output medium can show it, and our eyes are good enough) than was previously possible, if the additional PPIs are also in the source image. So that basically means smaller sized output of larger size image files (e.g. Panoramas and large MP sensors) will benefit.
He has posted a scan of a print on his website.

Since Qimage prints in chunks instead of dumping all data in the print buffer, there is a smaller risk of choking the printer driver with all that data.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up