Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody know of a good fine art scanning service in the NYC area?  (Read 1460 times)

Benny Profane

A friend wants me to print his stuff, so, I need some good scans, or digital images of his paintings.

Google tells me about a few in Manhattan, of course, just wondering if anybody here has had an experience.

deanwork

Re: Anybody know of a good fine art scanning service in the NYC area?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:18:00 am »

Yes, Griffin Editions. Drum Scans.

A friend wants me to print his stuff, so, I need some good scans, or digital images of his paintings.

Google tells me about a few in Manhattan, of course, just wondering if anybody here has had an experience.

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:02:14 pm »

As far as I know, Laumont has the only Cruse scanner in town.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:05:35 pm »

My experience with Laumont was very good (they made Cruse scans of several of my 16x14 inch graphite drawings).  I would not hesitate to use them again.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:50:47 am »

Strangely, Laumont Imaging seems to be the only option for high rez scanning or copy work of art in all of NYC. I'd love to know about options if there are.

Benny Profane

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 04:18:26 pm »

Well, Laumont is kinda pricey, after all I've learned in my googling. Like 400 dollars and up pricey. Now, Baboo, down lower in Manhattan, is quoting me only about 40 dollars to shoot a small artwork with a high Rez camera, 300 dpi, which sounds much more reasonable to me. Of course, I guess I have to go through the process to see what sort of quality I get out of them. Then again, the more I research this in this forum, maybe I should finally buy that Sony Ar7ii I've put on the Xmas list to myself and learn how to do this myself, right? What lighting should I buy?
Ivy would be a lot easier to do this at home, and maybe better.

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:10:42 pm »

Yes at Laumont a 400mb scan is about $250 but thats actually reasonable for Cruze scans anywhere around the country. They might be able to combine multiple paintings into one large pass if they fit on the bed. What kind of "high res" camera is Baboo using? Is there anyone in the city using a better light scanning back, or a current medium format back for artwork reproduction? The gap between a Cruze scan and a DSLR capture is pretty huge.
You definitely can shoot it yourself and get nice results with strobes or LEDs as long as the pieces are not too reflective. But if you are interested in going really large say 30x40 and up, its nicer to have a higher resolution capture.

Benny Profane

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »

I have no idea what camera they are using. This is new to me. I guess the only way to find out what is a good value at the moment is to spend some money and compare. Sigh.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 12:19:50 am »

Try renting the camera you desire to use first to compare.....lighting also.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:13:20 am »

Benny:
The topic of copying art has been long discussed. Try doing a search. Here is  pretty good thread on the discussion. The Cruse was the answer (high priced) for a long time, as were scanning cameras. But advances in sensor technology have made a lot of other techniques possible, especially stitching multiple detailed images into one hi resolution image.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=83550.msg756602#msg756602

enduser

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »

We were often asked by artists to reproduce their work. It's only possible to create an approximation due to art colorants not being within inkjet gamuts generally speaking. The reference below discusses the problem.
http://bermangraphics.com/digital-jury-resources/photographing-art.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up