Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yashicamat 124g Battery  (Read 6235 times)

stephenjennings

Yashicamat 124g Battery
« on: October 17, 2016, 06:33:25 pm »

I just acquired a vintage 1970s Yashica Mat 124G camera that uses 1.3 volt mercury batteries which I think are no longer available.  Anyone using this camera?  Can you recommend proper replacement batteries?  Any other tips of interest?

Stephen

Steve Goldsmith

Re: Yashicamat 124g Battery
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:39:18 pm »

WeinCell makes a PX625 replacement

http://www.weincell.com/

-Steve
Steve Goldsmith
Hasselblad Inc.
steve.goldsmith@hasselblad.com | mobile: 847-722-3397

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:22:30 pm »

A wonderful camera and my first MF in 1992.
I like it as much as my Rolleiflex 3.5 F.
Can't remember that it uses a battery, I always worked with a
Minolta lightmeter.
Enjoy!

Regards,
Ben

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:44:46 am »

The Weincell is probably the best answer with its two flaws, short life and cost  ;)
There are passive adapters, a ring, that allows 1.5v cells to fit but they give an incorrect reading which you can allow for but the voltage drop over their life gives a variable reading of up to a stop or more, the Weincell and original have a different discharge profile.
There are active adapters with a circuit to modify the 1.5v output but they are designed with a diode for low current draw and typically meters draw more than their design envelope, they may work for a while then overheat and cut out allowing full voltage through then cool and cut in, again the discharge profile can still be troublesome.
I would stick to an external meter or Weincell if you want to be "original", enjoy the camera under-rated against the Rollei cult.

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:31:34 am »

As the battery only powers the meter which is not linked to ss or aperture consider if it is worth pursuing or should you use a seperate and maybe better accuracy meter.

Although UK based there is some interesting info here plus links to adapter that may work
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_px675.htm

stephenjennings

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:34:36 pm »

I've decided to go with my hand meter - not simpler necessarily, but more accurate.  Thanks all for the advice!

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 10:46:32 pm »

I've decided to go with my hand meter - not simpler necessarily, but more accurate.  Thanks all for the advice!
Stephen
You forced me to look after my "old friends". I took my Mat 124G in my hands I remembered that I worked most of the time
with the "inbuilt" light meter because it was fine and measured perfect, if you know how to read and transform the output...
The built in light meter of the 124 G is accurate. You have to learn how it reacts etc. I don't know anything about this battery.
But if you can get one, I would buy it. The workflow with builtin battery leads often directer to the goal....(sorry for this english).
You reach much faster the target........
It's a tool and if you work with it, you evolve with it...
I don't want to sound homeopathic .....
Regards,
Ben

Pages: [1]   Go Up