Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Location March or April Subject to Certain Conditions  (Read 1880 times)

John Hollenberg

I am looking for suggestions for landscape photography in March or April, subject to the following conditions:

--in North America
--can't be hot at all as one of our group has Lupus and can't tolerate any heat or excessive  amount of sun exposure
--no hiking involved (person with Lupus can no longer hike)
--daytime temperatures 40 degrees or above (another person can't tolerate cold)

Most of our past Spring trips have been to the Southwest (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands), but we would like some variety (and may be too hot for person with lupus).  We live in Southern California, but happy to travel.

Where would you go for great landscape photography given these constraints?

Thanks.

sierraman

Re: Suggestions for Location March or April Subject to Certain Conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:19:11 pm »

If you live in so. cal maybe try Joshua Tree National Park. Easy to get to and you can drive to plenty of the parks landmarks. Yosemite Valley should be above 40 during the day and its easy to drive around the valley floor. Redwoods National and State Parks. Death Valley is prime for photography in the spring. Sedona is also nice in the springtime and so on........... :)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:00:41 pm »

Good thoughts, but having been to Sedona twice, gone to Joshua Tree Dozens of times and spent almost 50 years backpacking in the Sierra I am probably looking for somewhere a little farther afield.  Death Valley (been there) would be too hot for my friend with lupus.  I haven't been to Yosemite Valley for over 40 years, so that is a great suggestion, thought it would be colder that time of year.

Thanks for your input.

sierraman

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:26:41 pm »

Of course March is colder than April so if you can wait until the latter part of April you will have a greater flow from the water falls and some of the Dogwoods might be starting to bloom. There is also some wonderful wildflower blooms in Arizona in the spring. Maybe try Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:11:45 pm by sierraman »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 02:33:28 pm »

Of course March is colder than April so if you can wait until the latter part of April you will have a greater flow from the water falls and some of the Dogwoods might be starting to bloom. There is also some wonderful wildflower blooms in Arizona in the spring. Maybe try Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.  :)

The first time I visited Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument it was fantastic. Back then you could literally step over the short fence separating the USA and Mexico. The last time I visited it was like a war zone. See http://www.hcn.org/articles/after-12-years-organ-pipe-national-monument-reopens.

I have not been back since the park reopened after being essentially closed for 12 years, but with cameras, observation towers, CBP checkpoints along the road to the park, and nearly constant aerial and ground patrols it doesn't seem like a very peaceful place and I'm hesitant to return.
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up