Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji XT2 files with partial thumbnails on LR 6.7  (Read 3369 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Fuji XT2 files with partial thumbnails on LR 6.7
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:11:08 am »

After getting back from a fall color shoot, I had 5 days worth of shooting and starting loading the each days folder in LR 6.7, non CC. On some of them the thumbnails and previews do not load correctly. Some only load half way and show the rest of the image as black and only a small fraction loads and some only a thin sliver does not load. I have tried removing from the catalog and reimporting and same thing. I have tried using the delete previews command and delete smart previews command the defective thumbnails are not removed. I have tried deleting the previews and then deleting the folder from the catalog. Everytime I try to reimport them I get the same thing. After deleting previews if I tell it do rebuild previews it uses the existing previews. A majority of the images load and create previews correctly, only a few files have this problem. The problem is if I go to develop it loads the defective view for editing, based on the bad preview.

The files load correctly in Capture One, are shown correctly by Fast Raw Viewer, Breezebrowser and any other thumbnail viewer. So anyone else seen this issue or bug? Any things to try or solutions?

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

rdonson

Re: Fuji XT2 files with partial thumbnails on LR 6.7
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:05:29 pm »

Hi Alan,

Yes, we're discussing it in a forum on LuLa here: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=113927.0
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:10:58 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 02:55:10 am »

Isn't that a different problem, Ron? Alan's describing something happening in Library.

John

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:23:14 am »

I think I am seeing something different. I can import them just fine and I see thumbnails when I import them. They are already residing on my hard drive so no usb involved. I use an old program, Downloader Pro to download from memory cards via card readers.

One of the issues seems to be when I tell the catalog to delete the previews it does not delete them, even removing the images from the catalogs does not remove the previews. The other issue is this only happens on a few images, the most import correctly.

So it sounds sort of similar and it may have something in common as the cause of this bug, but I think it is slightly different. I think if I could actually delete the previews it would remove the problem, but I don't know for sure.

Also these raw files are all uncompressed. I am using uncompressed because Capture One does not support compressed yet.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:24:09 am »

Isn't that a different problem, Ron? Alan's describing something happening in Library.

John

You're right, John.  My apologies, Alan, for misinterpreting the issue.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 11:47:53 am »

One of the issues seems to be when I tell the catalog to delete the previews it does not delete them, even removing the images from the catalogs does not remove the previews. The other issue is this only happens on a few images, the most import correctly.

This does not make sense. What exactly do you mean by the previews? When you delete them, exactly what menu commands are you using?

Are we talking Mac or PC, and are your graphics drivers up to date?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 02:40:11 pm »

Yes current drivers. On a PC win windows10 latest updates.

In lightroom, select a directory with images, select all the images from the drop down Library>Previews>Discard 1:1 Previews  and Library>Previews>Discard Smart Previews then remove all the files from the Catalog. I have tried shutting down and restarting LR and bring it back up and reimport the files and it uses the previous previews, in other words the image shown is only partial for the same images as before. After it announces that it has created previews or smart previews, it also says that it created them or used existing previews.

the files load fine in Capture One, the thumbnails from the embedded images load fine in any viewer, like FastStone Viewer, Breezebrowser etc. So they images themselves are not corrupted just the previews in LR. It is very strange.
The Capture One previews are all correct, etc.

It seems when you tell LR to discard previews it does not and reuses them, never tried this before since I have not had issues with them before.

Thanks for taking the time for this.
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 02:50:01 pm »

Thanks for that info - we're on the same page. I'm also on Windows 10 and see nothing like you describe with my XT2 files. After what you have done, Lightroom should always regenerate the previews rather than reusing them, but it sounds like it's rebuilding them in the same odd way.

Could you try disabling the GPU? That's in Edit > Preferences > Performance. Any effect? And what happens if you change the thumbnail size with the slider (in filmstrip)? Are you talking about how the files appear in Library's Grid, or where else?

John

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 09:24:52 am »

Thanks John, I have not tried disabling the GPU. On the images that show this it loads a partial figure. If you resize or enlarge it stays the same. Like one image shows half the image, the rest is black. If I edit it, it loads the partial image. Grid is the same as single view. I will play with another catalog and see what happens and maybe try putting the files in a different location.

Thanks for your time.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:04:14 am »

Hi Alan, could it be some strange incompatibility with Downloader Pro?  Their site says it will handle all jpeg files from all cameras - but says it will handle "most raw files".  It might have some flaws or issues for them to make that distinction?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 11:30:39 am »

It is not a problem with Downloader Pro, it works just fine with the files. I can view the files with FastRawViewer, Fastone Viewer, and other thumbnail viewing programs just fine, the images load completely. I can extract the embedded jpg no problem and it is viewable as well as looking at the raw data. I can import the files into Capture One no problem. I can view the thumbnails in other programs just fine so it is something that is an issue just with LR 6.7. I will try some other files today and see how it goes. It is not a critical issue at this point as I in general prefer Capture One but I do use LR for some things and it is nice to have options.

Thanks for the reply.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 11:59:17 am »

I'd still try to import straight off the card and see if you have the same issue.  Just to rule that out

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 12:56:59 pm »

Have you tried the GPU yet, Alan?

John

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 10:14:13 am »

John, the gpu did not change anything. I have already wiped the card out so I can put them back on and try again. They all came from a trip I took and I have the original back ups I think I will try them on another system and see what happens. I will also contact Adobe and see what happens and see if they want to look at the files. It may just be something weird on my system. I just finished setting up another NAS system so I think I will make another copy and try another catalog from that drive this week and see if it still happens.

Thanks I will post more info when I have it, I will probably not be able to try any more serious tests on them till the next weekend, I got a lot of things going on this week.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 09:35:46 am »

Might this be relevant?
Pages: [1]   Go Up