Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Sigma 24-105 Art

(1/1)

Cornfield:
I bought the Sigma 24-105 just before leaving for a two month trip around Australia.  Two days into the trip and I am horrified at the performance of the lens sharp in the middle of the frame and rubbish at the edges and corners.  I bought the lens based on three positive reviews but have just read a review by Lloyd Chambers published last week and he found the same problems.  Anyone else have this lens?

shadowblade:
Sounds like you have a faulty lens. Any chance of a decentered element?

LawrenceBraunstein:

--- Quote from: Cornfield on October 17, 2016, 02:51:53 am ---I bought the Sigma 24-105 just before leaving for a two month trip around Australia.  Two days into the trip and I am horrified at the performance of the lens sharp in the middle of the frame and rubbish at the edges and corners.  I bought the lens based on three positive reviews but have just read a review by Lloyd Chambers published last week and he found the same problems.  Anyone else have this lens?

--- End quote ---

I've been using the Sigma Art 24-105mm for well over a year and have experienced the same characteristics you describe. The middle area is very sharp but the corners are terrible, much worse than my older Nikon 24-70mm.  It's really quite a problem and limits when I'm able to use the lens.  Hopefully there will be an improved 'Mark II' sometime in the not too distant future.

Cornfield:
Hi Lawrence, thanks for your reply.  I can't live with a lens that performs as poorly as this.  Today I have used it in DX mode on a d800 and results were great!

I hope this thread will prevent some members from buying this lens for full frame work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version