Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When do the excuses dry up... ?  (Read 1934 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
When do the excuses dry up... ?
« on: October 16, 2016, 03:59:45 pm »

So - when do cameras/prints get good enough that 'problems' lay firmly with the skill and competence of the photographer, not the kit? [IMHO, they already are ;-) ]

One simple big print got me wondering just how I'd actually spot the improvements in the next generation of kit, and more importantly would it matter one jot to most people? (by 'most people' I'm including both people who actually buy prints as well as non OCD photographers/printmakers)

I've been lucky enough to test some nice printers this year (P7000/PRO-1000/PRO-2000) and each has made me some stunning prints.

Indeed, I've still got the PRO-2000 here (in the kitchen!) to do some more testing for some new papers (questions still welcome - email me... I'm looking to update my review when it finally goes back ;-)

Anyway, the other day I saw an interesting colour to the evening light out of the kitchen window, grabbed my 5Ds/TS-E17 and took a photo out of the loft window, over the rooftops.

A (very) quick processing of the RAW file and direct print from PS (CS6) and I've a fine 20"x30" print.

Here's me with the print - I've written up the minimal workflow at
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/loft_sunset.html

So - how 'good' does printing still have to get?
What do Epson and Canon need to bring to the table next time and just who will notice?

Having the printers here (oh, and the ink and paper ;-) has made me think about many aspects of my photography, never a bad thing...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: When do the excuses dry up... ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:30:39 pm »

I hear you and am tempted to agree - one wonders about the scope for further improvement. And with digital printing, for some years now with successive models of printers and software, the improvements have been at the margin, not revolutionary - bit by bit, it kept getting better. That said, I think it's very difficult to second-guess technological change. The manufacturers are engaged with on-going research to continue improving on the rendition of printers, so I expect we will continue to see improvement at the margin, but who knows when they will produce something really smashing.

I think the most obvious area for improvement is not so much in the prints, but in the process of making them. Printer drivers and the interface between image editing applications and printer drivers still leaves some to be desired, as is the whole area of maintaining colour-managed workflows, also involving operating systems and how well they cohere with printer drivers and editing applications. We aren't close to nirvana on any of this yet - buying an expensive RIP surely helps, but that shouldn't be a necessary entry price to ease the process of correct printing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 04:59:48 am »

My suspicion is that we're there, the market will begin to split. Think of what happened in HiFi: the level of reproduction became so good that most people were happy to go after convenience (ie blu-tooth speakers driven out of their PC), while a splinter group went off in search of a subjective experience with valves/tubes and euphonic distortions.

So we have printers that can print down to L* 1 on A2 for the price of a good full-frame prime, or 24" for a Nikon 70-200 (plus a per-print cost much cheaper than what I used to pay for C41 processing of a roll of film, in real terms).
On the other hand we have people chasing a more subjective experience with matt papers, expired film, Lomography, wet collodion, cyanotypes, Daguerrotypes, tin-types... which might also be related to trying to re-instate some sort of uniqueness to the print as an object, for art-commerce reasons...

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 09:45:15 am »

From another tack.... I too think the results of most all of the current crop of digital cameras, lenses and printers produce excellent results.  Those technology hurdles seem to be mostly mastered.

For me the next challenge for the companies and photography in general is improving the interface to humans.  Anybody find a print driver that delights them?  A camera menu system that just makes sense?  The complexity of what's offered in capabilities of digital photography is often masked by the learning curve required to master them.

Regards,
Ron

paulbk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:33:35 pm »

I agree with all the above. This is the golden age. The equal to a month's pay saved over time can buy camera, lens, and printer capable of making high quality prints that last a lifetime. I'm a new owner of a Canon Pro-1000 printer (had it about a month). I keep re-learning that my "gear" is way better than I am. But that's what I love about photography, it's a lifetime learning process. And if you're serious about it, will push you to new limits.

ps: Yes. Lots of room for improvement in Camera menu UI and printer drivers.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

pearlstreet

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:34:20 pm »

Is there an exhibition fiber yet without oba's? I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I have the P800 and love it but I still think a better print is on the horizon...Maybe more paper related than printer though.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:41:09 pm »

I think the most obvious area for improvement is not so much in the prints, but in the process of making them. Printer drivers and the interface between image editing applications and printer drivers still leaves some to be desired, as is the whole area of maintaining colour-managed workflows, also involving operating systems and how well they cohere with printer drivers and editing applications. We aren't close to nirvana on any of this yet - buying an expensive RIP surely helps, but that shouldn't be a necessary entry price to ease the process of correct printing.
Is there an exhibition fiber yet without oba's? I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I have the P800 and love it but I still think a better print is on the horizon...Maybe more paper related than printer though.
I agree with Mark and Sharon. I have happily made use of my trusty old Epson 3800 since early 2009, and I expect my new P800 will keep me happy for just as long. But, as they pointed out, there are related areas that could stand some improvement.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up