Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABW toning  (Read 4856 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
ABW toning
« on: October 16, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »

Has anyone published a table which indicates how the toning values in the Epson ABW driver map into terms that we all know and love, like sepia, palladium and so on? Or indeed how they might correlate with LR's split toning settings. Any comments gratefully received.

Jeremy

Ferp

Re: ABW toning
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:38:48 pm »

Has anyone published a table which indicates how the toning values in the Epson ABW driver map into terms that we all know and love, like sepia, palladium and so on? Or indeed how they might correlate with LR's split toning settings. Any comments gratefully received.

No I haven't, but one thing I'm fairly sure of is that you can't split-tone with ABW.  The toning settings are for the entire range from shadows to highlights.  ABW has a sepia setting.

RMW

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »

Hi Jeremy,
I tried making a collection of prints at different settings in ABW to gauge the amount of toning. A table of sorts. After a while I gave up and took Jeff Schewe's advice to get a custom printer/paper profile and print in PS or LR. This way I can actually see what's going on. Also I can split tone- something not possible in ABW.
Hope this helps.
Richard

Ferp

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:01:31 am »

Epson has a little known program called "Epson Print Layout" that enables you to soft-proof ABW, including print toning.   As I haven't used it much, I can't tell you how well it soft-proofs, but it does.  It's still not going to give you standard presets, but with a bit of perseverance you should be able to get close to the toning you want without wasting too much ink or paper.

RMW's suggestion to use a custom profile means printing B&W using the color driver.  In theory this uses more color ink in the mix than ABW, but how much more is not clear.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 01:39:07 pm »

Hi Jeremy,
I tried making a collection of prints at different settings in ABW to gauge the amount of toning. A table of sorts. After a while I gave up and took Jeff Schewe's advice to get a custom printer/paper profile and print in PS or LR. This way I can actually see what's going on. Also I can split tone- something not possible in ABW.
Hope this helps.
Richard
I worked with Mark McCormick - Goodhart at Aardenburg to look at the stability of various toning settings of the Epson ABW driver on a 3880.  the paper was Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, a matte paper that I particularly like and have done a lot of printing on.  If you go to the Aardenburg data set archives you can see the stability data for a number various toning settings including those that are likely seldom used.

Alan

unesco

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 07:59:44 am »

It may be does not reply directly to your question but might be usefull - ABW Lab toning as a* - b* plot as well as L comparison, some L plots, already availabe somewhere else on the net.
All plots I have measured for P800 and PGPP paper.
For  a* - b* plot wht. point convergence in on the left.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:18:48 pm »

Thanks, all. I'd hoped someone might have tried to produce a table correlating hue/saturation values with the print driver numbers, but it seems not. Ferp, you're right, of course, in that the ABW driver doesn't allow split toning: I expressed myself clumsily.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up