Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any insight on a focus issue, maybe camera shake?  (Read 1492 times)

Redcrown

Any insight on a focus issue, maybe camera shake?
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:11:40 am »

I did a brief practice session to see what I could get away with for hand-held shutter speeds, using a monopod for the first time. A Canon 70-200 lens plus 2X teleconverter on a Canon 5D4 body. On the monopod using the lens ring mount, f/8 at 400mm, auto ISO.

Things went well, better than I expected. I got 99% good focus at 1/400. I got about 80% success at 1/250 with image stabilization. Shots at 1/400 or greater with IS on were OK too. The IS did not misbehave.

But I had this one shot that confuses me. The shutter was 1/400, and it looks like some camera shake on the left side of the image only. There is a faint double image of the white lettering. The center and right look OK. On another shot of the same car at 1/800 everything is in focus. Other shots show no edge or corner softness at 400mm.

Can camera shake affect only part of an image? Or is something else going on?

Ghibby

Re: Any insight on a focus issue, maybe camera shake?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:00:12 am »

I don't think this is camera shake, looks more like it is slightly out of focus on the left. I would imagine this is more likely to be a very slight optical decentering in the lens. Perhaps masked by depth of field and precise focus placement in the other shots. After all the AF is going result in a slightly different focus point for every shot. What aperture were you shooting at?

Have you set the camera / raw processor to remove CA or defringe the images? If you switch this off and look for the natural rendering of the lens you may see slight magenta / green edging that would confirm a slight focus error, especially if you were shooting wide open. I'm sure the canon 70-200 exhibits this behaviour as it is not a fully corrected apochromatic lens.

Ben

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:02:03 am »

Is back/front focusing a possibility?  That's something that drove me crazy with several Canon lenses.
Regards,
Ron

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:23:11 pm »

Thanks for the comments.

If I turn off CA I do see a slight magenta cast where the faint double images are. Focus point was dead center in the frame, and I was not perfectly perpendicular to the car. So maybe this is just a case of the left side being outside the depth-of-field.

It's just that I'm used to seeing out-of-focus as a uniform blur, not a double image. I associate double images with camera shake or mirror slap vibration. Plus, here is another shot of the car taken at the same settings (f/8 and 1/400). It shows good focus and equal focus across the whole frame. The only difference is that it was taken about 2 minutes later and 10 feet closer. Being closer, I should have had an even shallower DOF.

Full size here:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Temp-Upload/n-5RJTN/i-tpGPLqp/0/O/i-tpGPLqp.jpg

ppmax2

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:24:39 am »

Looks like "smear" from IS. We're you panning at all on the monopod?
Pages: [1]   Go Up