Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica  (Read 14514 times)

Telecaster

Re: Leica
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 06:03:47 pm »

A uke is still better than nothing. I'd have settled for that!

I have a lovely old Martin uke at home. I've taken it on car trips but never on flights. If I start having "stringed instrument withdrawl" symptoms before leaving this gorgeous locale I might have to look into borrowing or renting a uke for a few days. There are a few of 'em around!  ;)

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:47 pm »

I have a lovely old Martin uke at home. I've taken it on car trips but never on flights. If I start having "stringed instrument withdrawl" symptoms before leaving this gorgeous locale I might have to look into borrowing or renting a uke for a few days. There are a few of 'em around!  ;)

-Dave-

I'm reading Keth Richards' Life for the second time; he appears to have had a similar need as a child. Unfortunately, at twelve I had the black guitar (with chrome strike plate) but absolutely no musical talent. Now, I no longer have a guitar, and nothing else has changed very much on that side of life. ;-(

Rob

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 12:39:44 am »

I'm reading Keth Richards' Life for the second time; he appears to have had a similar need as a child. Unfortunately, at twelve I had the black guitar (with chrome strike plate) but absolutely no musical talent. Now, I no longer have a guitar, and nothing else has changed very much on that side of life. ;-(

Rob

I got an OP-1 a couple of years back, sometimes take it on train trips to play.

https://soundcloud.com/edmund-ronald

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Telecaster

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 02:29:12 am »

I got an OP-1 a couple of years back, sometimes take it on train trips to play.

https://soundcloud.com/edmund-ronald

That thing (the OP-1) is nifty! I enjoyed the sound clips & tunes too.  :)  I've got a handful of "soft" synths on my iPad. I particularly like Arturia's iSEM and the FunkBox rhythm machine. Moog makes a cool one called the Animoog, with a touchscreen version of a ribbon controller and "keys" you can slide your fingers along to create vibrato and (I think) other modulation effects.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2016, 04:02:33 am »

Life in the sticks can be so calming... no trains to speak of, no clickety-clicks, just the sweet sound of shotguns in the early morning blowing the hell out of little birds. Which latter, of course, get eaten.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 12:34:04 pm »

With my iPad gizmos I can make the sounds of shotguns firing, little birds screaming and even teeth chomping. But nothing & no-one gets killed or eaten.  ;)

-Dave-

eronald

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »

That thing (the OP-1) is nifty! I enjoyed the sound clips & tunes too.  :)  I've got a handful of "soft" synths on my iPad. I particularly like Arturia's iSEM and the FunkBox rhythm machine. Moog makes a cool one called the Animoog, with a touchscreen version of a ribbon controller and "keys" you can slide your fingers along to create vibrato and (I think) other modulation effects.

-Dave-

I'll look at that - I'm a total zero as a musician - the thing I like about the op1 is all those buttons and keys- even more than on a camera :) I love fiddling with them, in fact I think I'm gonna go and get it now. It does connect to my iPad and Mac, but I find standalone use to be more fun. The thing even has a mic and an FM radio built in. The only thing I miss as a non-musician is velocity on the keys.

Just about "everybody" seem to have an op1, and I enjoy listening to the pieces they post.  Here's the forum:
https://www.operator-1.com

There's an interesting piece of sound hardware called the NordDrum which I'd like to buy, it allows one to design percussive sounds. I' thinking of getting one to drive with the iPad. Speaking of iPads, here's a drum machine with an interesting interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEnTCOiSDY

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Telecaster

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 08:42:38 pm »

(Edited:)

The thing even has a mic and an FM radio built in. The only thing I miss as a non-musician is velocity on the keys.

Speaking of iPads, here's a drum machine with an interesting interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEnTCOiSDY

Hehe, I find velocity response on synthesizers to be mostly a distraction. But I guess I work backwards to many folks outside the "EDM" genre: guitars used as pad and/or rhythm tracks, synths used to play lead (where even note-to-note response is your friend).

I've added the drum machine review to tonight's YouTube queue. Thanks!

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2016, 09:08:26 am »

My little rocket to Mars is getting ever more rapid. Earth seems smaller and smaller.

Rob

eronald

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »

My little rocket to Mars is getting ever more rapid. Earth seems smaller and smaller.

Rob

Ground Control to Captain Rob ...

Edmund

Rob C

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 04:13:56 am »

Ground Control to Captain Rob ...

Edmund

HELLO? Hello? hello? hello... hell

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 04:46:07 pm »

I think this thread has about had it.  :)  But…for anyone still reading, and into sound synthesis as well as Leicas and/or ukuleles, Korg has just released an iOS version of the famed ARP Odyssey. It was ARP's response to the minimoog and is in some respects a more powerful instrument than the mini. I believe this one uses the same engine as Korg's recent hardware re-creation. From giving it a spin yesterday and again this morning, via earbuds, I'd say it sounds really nice. As I haven't played an actual '70s Odyssey in decades I can't say how authentic it is, but IMO this is a good thing as I can just approach it as an instrument unto itself. (I have a real minimoog as well as some software versions. The latter are all in the "close but definitely no cigar" category, which I find annoying and so rarely use 'em.)

I've attached a screen grab of my favorite factory patch.

-Dave-

minicoop1985

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 07:06:13 am »

HELLO? Hello? hello? hello... hell

Rob

Great. Now I've got Space Oddity stuck in my head.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

Rob C

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 08:45:05 am »

Great. Now I've got Space Oddity stuck in my head.

Could be worse: could be photography!

Rob

minicoop1985

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2016, 07:35:08 am »

Could be worse: could be photography!

Rob

It's still stuck in my head. lol
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

Telecaster

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2016, 12:53:42 pm »

Try listening to Ashes To Ashes as an aural palette cleanser.  :)

-Dave-

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 01:13:53 am »

Hi Keith, You're making it clear that you're like the rest of the modern Leica buffs. It's a religion. Has nothing much to do with photography. But I can understand it. I pretty much felt the same way about my M4. Wasn't quite as protective of my M2's reputation or of my IIIf's reputation, but the M4 was my baby. I wouldn't allow anyone to besmirch its reputation.
I totally get this; I have never ever been quite so in love with a camera as with my M4, though I had been shooting with Leicas since my first IIIf red-dial, and I recall very fondly the look of awe on my exclusively-Nikon-using friend's face when she first clicked the shutter on my M4.  I would describe it as almost orgasmic.  Actually, the word "click" is far too harsh in describing the sound of the leica shutter release.

Though I have been shooting digitally for many years now, never with a Leica.  I tried the m8 for a few minutes; it just wasn't a "Leica". Truth be told, I have never been really happy with any digital camera I have owned.  They're just not my M4.

Rob C

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2016, 03:36:21 am »

I believe that part of the problem with modern cameras is that there's no sense of film, and of the things ever being loaded.

Add the idea that it isn't costing you fresh (or old, if you're lucky) money to go click, and there's a sort of consequential, subliminal sense of little value in anything that gets snapped.

I have to add, in fairness, that were I paying for film, I'd probably have stopped shooting years ago. What would be the point? In fact, I'm positive that it's the false sense of 'free' that has made photography so widespread today. There's still little point, but folks don't think about it because they do not make themselves aware of the fact via the pocket.

When you realise that one person's image is just as viable as the next person's image...

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2016, 05:01:40 pm »

Add the idea that it isn't costing you fresh (or old, if you're lucky) money to go click, and there's a sort of consequential, subliminal sense of little value in anything that gets snapped.

Yes, I feel this is a genuine thing. I think of it less in terms of cost and more in terms of capability & ease-of-use. I've likely said something like this before here: when you can do nearly anything, the value of doing any particular thing drops. I feel this not just in photography but in my other favorite pursuits too. It's a kind of over-satiation. I recently returned from a thoroughly enjoyable vacation in Hawai'i. Looking back on it I'm struck by how seamless and easy the whole thing was. Shouldn't getting to a small group of islands in the middle of the Pacific be kinda difficult? Apparently not. Do I really need to be able to shop at Target or Macy's while there and feel "at home" in doing so? Apparently so. (I bought an Ethernet cable extender at Target and three sharp Honolulu-made Aloha shirts at Macy's. Aside from the shirts that Target and Macy's could've been anywhere in the US.) Does one small-ish tourist town need first class Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese and Hawai'ian restaurants? (Ahi tuna, grilled medium rare with asparagus and sprinkled with a light coconut-based sauce: to die for.) Well, yeah!

I feel that on many levels we're kinda maxing ourselves out. Our ability to make and do stuff is running ahead of our ability to take it all in and absorb it. I suspect this will push us, as a species, in the direction of being able to process more faster. If not push us over the edge.  ;)

-Dave-

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2016, 05:17:29 pm »

Dear me, I suppose you are correct if you measure everything in monetary terms. But many people invest time, thought, imagination and energy into their pursuits. Certainly many contributors here invest far more than money into their creations. I think many of Rob's comments are along those lines when sharing his professional experiences.

Then again I could be wrong, I often am.

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up