Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1DX Mark II for Video  (Read 2700 times)

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
Canon 1DX Mark II for Video
« on: October 14, 2016, 05:52:21 pm »

Jeffery and James mention the Canon 1DX Mark II in this thread so I thought I'd pass along some of my experience.

I have been extremely happy with the 1DX Mark II. I have been using it for a mix of video and stills projects since last spring. The video image quality is nothing short of superb. Of all of the cameras I have used on projects it bar none makes the prettiest file right out of the camera. The DPAF is amazing and you can practically use the camera as if it was mirrorless because the AF is just that good.

As James mentions in the High five.. thread - the bit rate is very high and while the Internet tends to feel that's a negative it's also a plus. The footage is very easy to grade, you can pull a ton of info out of the shadows, and the image quality does not feel compromised due to compression.

If the DSLR form factor and the *data rate are not issues then it's worth considering.  It's also an extremely robust, weather resistant body, with a big battery. I have been mixing the 1DX Mark II in as a B or C camera on commercial projects since I got it. It easily holds its own with the C300 in terms of image quality and in some ways surpasses it.

*A 128 GB card will hold ~ 34 minutes of 24p 4K footage, ~20 minutes of 60p 4K footage. The 60p 4K footage needs a CFast card, the other footage can be Cfast or CF card. You can also shoot at 1080.

In addition to my my blog post, Sunset Rodeo, which Jeffery linked to in the other thread, I have two more recent ones which also have 1DX Mark II footage. Mount Vernon Interrupted was a project to create a b-roll library at Mount Vernon (first US President George Washington's home for those not familiar). The opening section, in the distillery, was shot with the 1DX Mark II. It takes advantage of the 1DX Mark II's 4K 60p to create slow-motion footage.

By Land, Sea, and Air is new post and film which mixes 1DX Mark II, Phantom 4, and GoPro footage. The 1DX Mark II footage is mixed throughout.

All of the blog posts have lots of BTS info.

These are the films for the three blog posts:

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
Re: Canon 1DX Mark II for Video
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

Hi Jon.

Your DSlR video blogs were extremely helpful as well as your advice on using the Canon 1DX Mark II for my project.  I failed to mention your usage of the WoodenCamera support equipment.  I purchased the Camera Support (DSLR) large quick kit.  The design and build of the cage is excellent.  It's very customizable with many holes for accessories such as a magic arm for an external monitor.

Thanks appreciate you sharing your results and observations.
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter
Pages: [1]   Go Up