Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different Strokes?  (Read 1489 times)

Redcrown

Different Strokes?
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:44:45 pm »

My wife's hobby is marine aquariums. Mine is photography. I currently have 3 cameras, she has 3 fish tanks. I have a closet full of lights, meters, tripods, reflectors, bags. She has 2 closets full of pumps, hoses, filters, and chemicals.

I spend hours adjusting images in Photoshop. She spends hours adjusting corals in the tanks. She takes a hunk of coral out, whacks off a piece (called a "frag") and puts it somewhere else. She has a big "turkey baster" device she uses to blow junk off things. It's her version of clone and heal.

I worry about white balance. She has 8 different kinds of lights on timers that can change the colors in the tanks. I spend a lot of money, she spends more. I don't sell anything, she sells frags for $25 to $75 each. She took in $1,200 at a recent weekend swap meet.

I have photography forums on the net. She has more. Much more. From looking over her shoulder, I'd say the serious acquarium hobby has 3 to 5 times the number players as the photography hobby. UPS and FedEX bring me something 3 or 4 times a year. They bring her something 3 or 4 times a month.

Sometimes I show her some photos and ask her which are best. She shrugs and says "Meh, they all look about the same to me." Except with pictures of the grandkids. Then she has strong opinions, none of which are based on the things we photographers worry about. An overexposed, blurry, yellow tinged shot of a 4 year old running out of frame can easily be her favorite.

After spending hours rearranging a tank, she asks me what I think. I say, "Meh, looks the same to me. What did you change." I get in a lot of trouble that way.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Different Strokes?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:57:53 pm »

You should use one of those cameras, some lights and a tripod to take a before and after shot...study them, and you would be good to go.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:36:29 pm »

My wife's hobby is marine aquariums. Mine is photography. I currently have 3 cameras, she has 3 fish tanks. I have a closet full of lights, meters, tripods, reflectors, bags. She has 2 closets full of pumps, hoses, filters, and chemicals.

I spend hours adjusting images in Photoshop. She spends hours adjusting corals in the tanks. She takes a hunk of coral out, whacks off a piece (called a "frag") and puts it somewhere else. She has a big "turkey baster" device she uses to blow junk off things. It's her version of clone and heal.

I worry about white balance. She has 8 different kinds of lights on timers that can change the colors in the tanks. I spend a lot of money, she spends more. I don't sell anything, she sells frags for $25 to $75 each. She took in $1,200 at a recent weekend swap meet.

I have photography forums on the net. She has more. Much more. From looking over her shoulder, I'd say the serious acquarium hobby has 3 to 5 times the number players as the photography hobby. UPS and FedEX bring me something 3 or 4 times a year. They bring her something 3 or 4 times a month.

Sometimes I show her some photos and ask her which are best. She shrugs and says "Meh, they all look about the same to me." Except with pictures of the grandkids. Then she has strong opinions, none of which are based on the things we photographers worry about. An overexposed, blurry, yellow tinged shot of a 4 year old running out of frame can easily be her favorite.

After spending hours rearranging a tank, she asks me what I think. I say, "Meh, looks the same to me. What did you change." I get in a lot of trouble that way.

You have the perfect relationship: don't change a thing. Women are natural leaders unless they try politics. Then they become unnatural leaders.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 05:21:41 pm »

IMO one of the many regrettable consequences of the way we do politics is how it tends to distort the femaleness of female politicians. It compels women to behave more like men. The world would be a better (not perfect) place if: 1) female politicians could more authentically be themselves; and 2) they then ran the whole shebang. (I'm kidding a little with #2. Just a little.)

I grew up in a household & extended family full of strong women who didn't take any shit from the more foolish sex. My mom ran her own business and my dad was as handy with cooking stove & sewing needle as with hammer & socket wrench. It was a bit of a culture shock to discover, as I grew up, the existence of a male > female hierarchy in the wider world. "How stupid is this?!"

-Dave-

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 09:29:56 pm »

Classic!

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 05:20:11 am »

Apart from the sophistications of the 'cultured mind' that we love to believe is our right, our mark of natural superiority in this world, just consider the wild: lionesses do the work, the killing and the training. The lions? They sit around, let their hair grow, fart a lot and breed. Period. That takes brains? Or that takes brains.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up