Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FotoStation - anyone using this?  (Read 3531 times)

myotis

FotoStation - anyone using this?
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:26:33 am »

Is anyone using, or have experience of FotoStation. It looks pretty good from the web site and has a reasonable price  (cheaper than Media Pro), but I'm not sure I have ever seen it mentioned.

It would be useful to hear of any experiences.

Edit -  having downloaded the trial it would seem to be a sophisticated file viewer with good search and management capabilities.  Somewhere between a DAM and Photo Mechanic.  Not really what I was looking for.  Only briefly looked at it so far.

Thanks,

Graham
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:53:45 am by myotis »

myotis

Re: FotoStation - anyone using this?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »

Well, I have given up on this. I can see this being very useful in the right application and indeed the web site now makes more sense after using the program in terms of applications.

It does not create previews or indexes, and relies on using the built in previews I assume. But it can search and add IPTC data etc, which it seems to only embed in the file.

It has a pretty sophisticated Raw editor and output options, which all seem to be built for speed.  A  sort of Photo Mechanic  with better search and, much better, editing capabilities. 

The idea given on the web site of it rapidly searching millions of images certainly wouldn't work on my machine as it took many minutes to open a folder with 2000 images. But I can see the value of it, just not for me. If you needed to go from ingested files to high quality output, very quickly, this would be a very good tool.

I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who actually use it, and what they use it for.

Cheers,

Graham

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:10:49 pm »

Hi,

I bought it for my mother many years ago. At that time it was horribly buggy. Never heard about it since.

Best regards
Erik

Well, I have given up on this. I can see this being very useful in the right application and indeed the web site now makes more sense after using the program in terms of applications.

It does not create previews or indexes, and relies on using the built in previews I assume. But it can search and add IPTC data etc, which it seems to only embed in the file.

It has a pretty sophisticated Raw editor and output options, which all seem to be built for speed.  A  sort of Photo Mechanic  with better search and, much better, editing capabilities. 

The idea given on the web site of it rapidly searching millions of images certainly wouldn't work on my machine as it took many minutes to open a folder with 2000 images. But I can see the value of it, just not for me. If you needed to go from ingested files to high quality output, very quickly, this would be a very good tool.

I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who actually use it, and what they use it for.

Cheers,

Graham
Erik Kaffehr

myotis

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »

Hi,

I bought it for my mother many years ago. At that time it was horribly buggy. Never heard about it since.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks, I think its only been going since the 1990s and its now at version 8, and still with us, so hopefully it might be less buggy !

I'm still surprised that its something you never hear of people using and its not something I've ever seen reviewed.

Cheers,

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up