Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Changes To This Forum  (Read 7534 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Important Changes To This Forum
« on: October 13, 2016, 03:08:55 pm »

You may have noticed some folks are missing from the forum these days - some have moved on by choice, others have been banned. 

Chris and I have had enough of rudeness, personal attacks and the lack of respect amongst some members of this forum.  We have always tried to maintain a hands-off approach in hosting what we believe should be an open forum for sharing and education. But on a few occasions recently we decided to step in and fix some things.  By fixing, I mean temporarily or permanently banning certain members.  Many of you will know who they are.  The primary reason for a ban is a personal attack and/or rudeness toward other members.  This we cannot and will not tolerate any longer. 

The Luminous Landscape’s Forum has been and will be a community where people can ask questions and voice opinions without fear of hostile attack.  Contributors can ask for critiques of their work and can share their knowledge.  What we will not allow is the pointing of fingers and personal insults of other members. Members who destroy the value of a thread by continuous & domineering posts will be summarily banned. When you see this type of behaviour, please use the Report to Moderator function. We cannot be aware of every thread and every series of posts and need your help to maintain the standards of this forum.

If there is a post that doesn’t interest you, pass it by.  If there is a person that says something you don’t agree with, then certainly voice your opinion but in a way it is not condescending or insulting to the individual.  If you cannot stand reading a certain member’s opinions, use the Ignore function. We will do our best to eliminate trolls if they get through the gauntlet of security.  We have had a great forum until things recently got out of hand.  From now on if someone reports a post through the normal channels we will warn the individual if we deem it necessary.  The second time we will put a temporary ban on the individual and the third time the ban will be permanent. As in the past, those who conceal their identities will receive a sterner judgement than those who openly share their names, web addresses and work.

There is enough nonsense happening in this world. This is garishly illustrated by the lack of respect in public discourse. We will not tolerate that kind of abusive behaviour in our forum.  So, please keep this in mind moving forward.  This forum should be for everyone, and contributors should not risk insult when they say or share something that someone doesn’t agree with or doesn’t like. 

Both Chris and I hope that you will continue to make the Luminous-Landscape Forum a place of learning and sharing.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Important Changes To This Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:28:45 pm »

Chris and Kevin thanks a lot!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:24:45 pm »

Chris and Kevin thanks a lot!

Best regards
Erik
Add my thanks too.

This should make it easier to skip the annoyances. This is a superb forum, and many (probably most) of us would like to keep it that way.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:36:17 am »

It is an excellent forum and I agree completely about keeping it free flowing and positive.
Thank you Kevin & Chris.

Best,
Brian

stamper

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:38:27 am »

Would it be WRONG to list the members who have been banned?? The reason being that some people who have simply moved on might be thought as banned by some members. I don't think that is a good situation? However if you don't list them then I completely understand. There is one member who I am certain was banned is still allowed to log in but not post. I find this strange.

AreBee

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 06:39:27 am »

stamper,

There is one member who I am certain was banned is still allowed to log in but not post.

To whom do you refer?

stamper

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:49:58 am »

stamper,

To whom do you refer?

It doesn't matter because I am illustrating a point and won't name anyone if the moderators do not wish to name anyone.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 07:00:10 am »

Big thanks to the moderators for keeping (or at least trying) to keep this forum civil and a pleasant place to visit.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

AreBee

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 07:11:11 am »

stamper,

...some people who have simply moved on might be thought as banned by some members. I don't think that is a good situation?

Why?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:11:53 am »

There is currently no one who can login who is banned from posting.  I use that as a wrist slap or warning - generally only for 24 hrs to a week. Those you see logged in choose to post or not... Those you do not see for extended periods are likely banned permanently.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 10:31:51 am »

I think it is a necessary and well made decision. Too bad it is necessary.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

stamper

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:20 am »

There is currently no one who can login who is banned from posting.  I use that as a wrist slap or warning - generally only for 24 hrs to a week. Those you see logged in choose to post or not... Those you do not see for extended periods are likely banned permanently.

Thanks for the clarification.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 11:03:55 am »

Thanks to both of you for your efforts to have this forum a place of civility, sharing and education.

Jim

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 11:53:33 am »

Thanks Kevin and Chris, your time and efforts are appreciated.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

williamchutton

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »

Thank you.

Civility and respect for others is a valuable priority.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »

Thanks to both of you, I'm certain that with some judicious "thinning of the herd" you guys will have a lot more time to spend on other things besides moderating schoolyard spats!

Kevin Gallagher
 Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 09:42:45 am »

;-)

Rob

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »

OK...going to get into trouble here  ;)  Simple pleasures~ ( voyeur in me never ever tires of the appealing sight of hard working calves and tendons.)There, I confessed, serial voyeur...

Funny, I was wondering if meds or the overboard splash of politics gone insane was propelling the vitriole...Then watching the distressing walrus haul outs on Alaskan beaches, (canary in the mines / slow motion catastrophe of the planet) settled on "It's how we know we're yet among the living."

Thank you Kevin and Chris for all you do to remind us and carry forward the gift of  the fine man Michael. Rob, I can see Michael's extraordinary sense of humor jumping up and striking the pose as he roared "you're out of here". Loved those flashes from him and the pure joy he represented  (the great laughing review of Kevin and Michael comes to mind.) Miss you Michael...greatly~
A common woman~

Isaac

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »

We will not tolerate that kind of abusive behaviour in our forum.

Bravo!

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 02:53:23 pm »

Bravo!

Hotel California.

Nice to know you're okay.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up