Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice tips-about to replace Canon ipf6400 printhead  (Read 1690 times)

dgillilan

advice tips-about to replace Canon ipf6400 printhead
« on: October 13, 2016, 09:29:16 am »

Hi, I got the dreaded right printhead error on my canon, a few times and now I have a new printhead in hand from B&H, and about to replace it and maintenance cartridge as well.  I have a Canon ipf 6400 printer.
Does anyone have advice and tips on the actual procedure and things to avoid in the printhead replacement? I will, of course, follow the user's manual on the process to follow, and thought to ask here for tips.

Only one head needs replacement now, so I will wait for the other to need replacement before purchase of it. The other printhead will be the final large expenditure for this one that I plan, since I am aware of age and costs, of course. I have had it since June, 2013, and figure one Rt & Lt additional printhead is all I want to incur. 

Thanks for any tips, Debra

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
Re: advice tips-about to replace Canon ipf6400 printhead
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:11:07 pm »

I've replaced both printheads on my ipf8400, the procedure is the same.  Issue the replace printhead command through the printer's menu system, be sure to chose the correct one.
Nothing special about it, open the printer, flip the latch up, remove and replace the head. 

The maintenance cartridge full message can be reset so you get more life out of it.  It's safe to do a reset at least one time before actually replacing it.
https://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Reset+Maintenance+Tank

dgillilan

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:39:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice that it seems to be straightforward, I will proceed to replace it shortly,
Debra

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:05:27 am »

It's pretty quick and easy to do. On my IPF 8300 it runs a head adjustment automatically after the head is replaced. Canon recommends using the paper you use the most (Epson Luster in my case), so you might want to have that already loaded in the printer. After the head adjustment, I then run a calibration on the Canon paper that shipped with my printer. Canon does not recommend using Epson Luster for the calibration process.

I have had it since June, 2013, and figure one Rt & Lt additional printhead is all I want to incur. 

I don't really understand this part. I've had my IPF 8300 since September 2010. I've replaced both heads once and just replaced the left print head a second time. Although other parts of the printer are subject to wear, by replacing the print head it's almost like a new machine again. The print heads aren't cheap (about $400), but it's way better than buying a whole new printer for $5,000.

dgillilan

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:13:03 pm »

Thank you Mcpix also, I did replace the Rt printhead successfully and did the printhead adjustment routine using the paper provided  by Canon which shipped with the printer, I also replaced the maintenance cartridge which was prompted when I turned the printer on from its off status. I do print test prints twice/week at least.  I believe that I still need to do a calibration routine per page 758 of the user's guide.
I will re-think my reluctance to go beyond the two printheads-life in terms of additional cost to keep this printer, and hopefully would not have the board go out also, as others have seen happen on this forum. Mine is the 6400 model which cost 1800 US after the rebate, much less than your model, but still costly.
Thank you both for the help in this thread, Debra
Pages: [1]   Go Up