Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robert Whitman  (Read 4414 times)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Robert Whitman
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:13:32 am »

An interview, mainly as a promotion of an exhibition od photos of Baryshnikov, but also with some general thoughts about photographing dance vs dancers, and what he will not photograph.

https://birdinflight.com/inspiration/experience/whitman_baryshnikov.html

Rob C

Re: Robert Whitman
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:14:28 am »

An interview, mainly as a promotion of an exhibition od photos of Baryshnikov, but also with some general thoughts about photographing dance vs dancers, and what he will not photograph.

https://birdinflight.com/inspiration/experience/whitman_baryshnikov.html

In Life through a lens Annie L talks about shooting the same dancer, and comments that you can't really photograph dance. I think her to be right. I bought her book because of that video (in a way. it's a 'making-of' the book that was to follow from the video) and for me, it was a total rip-off: a freakin' poem to her girlfriend and family and pretty much zilch of interest to anyone else not interested in her personal life but very interested in her work. Bought the thing years ago - it rivals Sumo in bulk - and more and more am I convinced it was a sealed buy.

Of all the books I have around, three I regret: Annie's one; Sirens of Costasmeralda [sic] by Marco Glaviano and Brassaï Pour L'amour de Paris from Blume. I would rather have something very else.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:27 am »

We used to have a dance(r) photographer here... what happened to him?

Anyway, it would seem that he, Annie and Robert seem to agree: "These aren't photos of dance, they are of Michael acting, doing a few steps."

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 10:10:07 am »

We used to have a dance(r) photographer here... what happened to him?

Anyway, it would seem that he, Annie and Robert seem to agree: "These aren't photos of dance, they are of Michael acting, doing a few steps."

Jeremy? Yeah, a shame, because he is a good photographer. I don't know for sure, but I think he got fired for being 'problematic' which can happen with people who are good at something; they don't usually suffer fools gladly... I think you could find him under Futt Futt Photography or similar. Maybe it's three Futt Futts. We certainly disagreed a lot politically, but I never belittled his work, and vice versa. In a way, it's a bit like another guy here - a Scot with a love of street: I think him pretty good at it, but we can't hack each other's political leanings, so we sort of keep at arm's length. But I still enjoy looking at what he does, so not all gets lost.

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 04:11:01 am »

Oh, I think your politics suck too... but part of being a grown up is knowing when to shut your gob  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 05:21:54 am »

Oh, I think your politics suck too... but part of being a grown up is knowing when to shut your gob  ;D

What you forgot to add was that knowing when to buy or not to buy books is also a part of growing up!

I sat down with Vol. 1 last night, and after reading the opening essay I knew I'd blundered. I was going to give up reading several times, but carried on, determined to get my money's worth! ;-)

It has actually damaged my mental relationship with Leiter. (Note the use of Leiter, and not Saul.) Many of the pix are new to me, but they left me saddened. I had thought that apart from the girls, the individuals were straight street grabs. Imagine my disappointment to learn they were mostly family and friends. Where the heroic grab, the fast reaction of the trigger finger?

That aside, there are a couple of great catches in bedrooms, but a lot of dross, too. I hope that Vol. 2 turns out to be more rewarding, but I think I'll wait for my moment of angst to pass first.

Speaking of which, I had a terrible moment of angst yesterday afternoon. I took myself out to the town, and was walking to the centre, camera hanging painfully around my neck, when I became aware of this tall person walking quickly about fifteen feet in front of me. Leiter, again: she had her hair tied back in that loose pony that the young daughter of one of Saul's friends had in the great close-up of the back of the head. I hadn't got the camera set to anything - wasn't even on. Worse, though I felt I wanted to make the shot, I was overcome with a hellish sense of shame, and couldn't make the image. Not fear, shame. What gives? Is it a reaction to the kid and mother on the beach? Who knows, but I regretted that from the moment I didn't do it. Worse, when I got home and downloaded what I did shoot, I rejected all but three, which will probably be destined as no more than backgrounds to something to be shot at another time. I almost never get that low a score from an outing. I suppose the missed picture was still haunting. I hope it's now laid.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 07:48:25 am »

and after reading the opening essay I knew I'd blundered.

Is yours in French? I was surpised that mine was, maybe a consequence of ordering from amazon.fr

Yes, it's essentially an intimate sketch book, although it's interesting as a way of addressing that issue of photographer-model bonding that you and Cooter are discussing elsewhere: It's pretty obvious that there was some level of intimate connection with all the women in vol 1, and obvious that there is none in the examples BC posted (which is fine, that is presumably not what his client wanted, and has no right to ask for anyway). So there are points at each end of the spectrum, then you have Bailey and Sieff floating around the middle and frequently crossing over the line, and Jonvelle who looked like he was thinking about it but probably didn't.

Photo of Soames at the end is intense... I think that can be seen without knowing the history. Interesting that the photo it reminds me of most is a self-portrait by Diane Arbus

Re shame: so that's when you learn about yourself, said cheeky young monkey ;-)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:28:21 pm »

Is yours in French? I was surpised that mine was, maybe a consequence of ordering from amazon.fr

Yes, it's essentially an intimate sketch book, although it's interesting as a way of addressing that issue of photographer-model bonding that you and Cooter are discussing elsewhere: It's pretty obvious that there was some level of intimate connection with all the women in vol 1, and obvious that there is none in the examples BC posted (which is fine, that is presumably not what his client wanted, and has no right to ask for anyway). So there are points at each end of the spectrum, then you have Bailey and Sieff floating around the middle and frequently crossing over the line, and Jonvelle who looked like he was thinking about it but probably didn't.

Photo of Soames at the end is intense... I think that can be seen without knowing the history. Interesting that the photo it reminds me of most is a self-portrait by Diane Arbus

Re shame: so that's when you learn about yourself, said cheeky young monkey ;-)

Hi Graham,

No, mine's in English, ordered through UK for currency ease, but it was actually sent from Germany. Oh, these cunning multinationals - if they don't get you one way...

But, on the bright side: I have just finshed Vol. 2 and I love it! (Saul and I are on Judeo-Christian name terms again.) Even the curator-speak upfront is far better, and the images are simply his colour magic continued in b/white. The printing is superb, but oh, those tiny images! Well, I write superb, having no way of knowing how Saul printed them, but taken at face value, they rock.

How are you getting on with Early Color - is it the same minute dimensions?

(Jonvelle was a Canon man, so tea wouldn't have been of great concern to him...)

Soames was his (Saul's) model on a Nova shoot in Ireland, so love got to travel, too, on the firm. Way to go!

Shame: well, I'm not sure if it's about getting to know oneself, because in that case it wouldn't have come as such a surprise - I think it could have been about suddenly having this unsolicited vision of an old guy surreptitiously snapping a twenty-something year-old from behind which, considering his way of earning a living, might have suddenly felt bloody odd and desperate at the same time... I guess one can't control the reflexes so well, damn them, especially when they come calling at such an inconvenient moment. I really wish I'd made the shot and suffered angst later in confort (sheesh, now I write in Spanish?) comfort, when it no longer mattered. It's so dumb: it was only a loose ponytail. Why guilt?

Rob
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:31:48 pm by Rob C »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 01:57:37 pm »

I've only started on B&W extérieur (yes, sub-title in French, main in English). Thought you would like it :-)

Why guilt?

Conditioning? having always having had the justification that it was work and having to confront doing it simply for pleasure?
Our Judeo-Christian moral framework is not very big on innocent pleasure, and guilt has kept the church coffers filled for a few centuries now.

PS I have a photo of Jonvelle with an R4, so one never knows...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:04:26 pm by GrahamBy »

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »

I've only started on B&W extérieur (yes, sub-title in French, main in English). Thought you would like it :-)

Why guilt?

Conditioning? having always having had the justification that it was work and having to confront doing it simply for pleasure?
Our Judeo-Christian moral framework is not very big on innocent pleasure, and guilt has kept the church coffers filled for a few centuries now.

PS I have a photo of Jonvelle with an R4, so one never knows...

That's a very good point; it's not an emotion (guilt) that hits me that often, and it's especially disturbing when it comes like that out of the blue; shatters confidence more than somewhat! Wonder what will happen the next time... nope, better not let it develop in my head.

Cameras and photographers: In almost all of his frequent early portraits - selfies or by assistants? - Hans Feurer was with a long-lensed Nikon on a tripod. In a recent(ish) video he was using Canon. Another photographer, paying him a compliment, reminisces over how Hans lent him a Hasselblad... I think these guys play the endorsement market!

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:15 pm »

reminisces over how Hans lent him a Hasselblad... I think these guys play the endorsement market!

Both ways... one recounts the joy of being loaned a 'blad, the other about he gave away his 'blad and bought a Canikon :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up