Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One 75-150 D lens  (Read 2034 times)

felix5616

Phase One 75-150 D lens
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:52:31 am »

Looking for anyone that uses or has used a phase one 75-150mm D lens. Interested in image sharpness at the edges. Intended use is on an IQ160 phase one back

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Phase One 75-150 D lens
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:50:10 pm »

It is a sleeper of a good lens.  I have the older Mamiya version of the 75-150 and it's tack sharp, throughout the zoom range, by F8. As I recall, there was only a branding change in the Phase One D version, but they also may have changed out a few elements.  Not as heavy as the new LS version and can be hand held to an extent. 

Was considering the new LS version, but I really don't think the newer version could be any sharper than what I have.  Color/contrast are not quite as good as the newer lenses however. 

Have used mine on both the 160 and IQ100, no issues.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JKevinScott

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:34:31 pm »

Totally agree with Paul.  I bought mine brand new ~3 years ago and have found it to be tack sharp through the zoom range, edge-to-edge, by F8/F11.  For context, I typically shoot at F11 in the studio.  I'll try to dig up some sample images for you over the next day or so.  The only downside to this lens for me is that it's big and heavy.  I almost always shoot on a camera stand or tripod, so not a big deal for me.  But that's one consideration to keep in mind when you're pondering this lens, IMHO.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:44:44 pm »

Like Paul I have a great copy of the 75-150.  Mine is about 6 years old now and the piece that holds the lens shade has come off.  The lens still functions perfectly, but I was considering getting the new LS version.  A little research and decided I’m going to get my current lens repaired instead.  I don’t see any sharpness gain, the leaf shutter for me doesn’t matter (a studio shooter might prefer it) and I’ve never really had issues with shutter vibration even at 150 with this lens.  Sharpness comparisons are pretty favorable for both lenses (https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-75-150-test/).

felix5616

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »

Appreciate the feedback I am considering getting back into MF with an IQ160

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 09:12:38 pm »

The only downside (compared to the primes) is that the 75-150 is slower to lock focus, at least with the DF series camera bodies. I'm sure using the Phase XF body will provide much better AF performance.

ken

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »

The only downside (compared to the primes) is that the 75-150 is slower to lock focus, at least with the DF series camera bodies. I'm sure using the Phase XF body will provide much better AF performance.

ken
still not quick with the XF.  OK for my type of work (landscape).  Sometimes mine struggles and hunts a little.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:31:38 pm »

I have had both the Mamiya and New 75-150.  I'm amazed by how good the new Phase One lenses are.  But I will have to admit I never ever use the auto focus and never will.  I'm old fashion and want to control every aspect of the camera.  But I love them never thought I would say that!  Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up