Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: A small reflection on 44x33 mirrorless  (Read 14154 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
A small reflection on 44x33 mirrorless
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:59:15 pm »

Hi,

I am no fan or potential buyer of either the X1D or the GFX. That said I find these two systems very interesting for a few reasons:

• They are sort of affordable. I always felt that it may be feasible to pay 10k$/10k€ for entry in a high level imaging system. This is what I paid to enter my Hasselblad/P45 system and also the price of entry to the Alpha 7rII system that replaced it.
  • 44x33 mm system were sort of younger brother versions of the full frame 645 systems. Both cameras and lenses were designed for the larger format. The smaller format has a 1.3X crop, thus needing ultra wide designs for wide angles. But lens development was focused on larger formats, making ultra wides unnecessarily large and expensive
  • With the X1D and the GFX we now have reasonably priced MFD with a set of lenses optimised for that format.
  • This is sort of similar to smaller formats. Nikon, Canon and to some extent Sony are full format players. All they great lenses are optimised for full frame 24x36. Meanwhile, Fuji has a lens program optimised for APS-C while Panasonic and Olympus focus their efforts on the micro 4/3 format.

So, now we have two vendors focusing on the "small MFD format", building systems optimised for that format.

These systems use modern, Sony based technology. So they will always have the 1.6 times the area advantage over the 24x36 mm Sony based competition.

High end MFD obviously will always have an advantage, but 44x33 mm MFD may possibly be a sweet spot, where MFD is still affordable enough that customers will buy while offering advantages that may motivate the hight costs.

So I find these both system very interesting. Not a potential buyer, right now, but a very interested bystander.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

Re: A small reflection on 44x33 mirrorless
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:55 pm »

I find both systems interesting too, in particular the Fuji. Aside from video applications I prefer using a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor since in most cases it best suits the way I see. I also plan to sit on the sidelines for awhile, though, taking note of how well received these systems are and how they develop.

-Dave-

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 05:31:38 am »

No sidelines for me. I have had my X1D on order for months, so hopefully soon. WHen the GFX comes out, gets vetted, with adapters for Nikon F-mount, then I will consider selling the X1D system and getting that one. Meanwhile, I am aging and need to do what I need to do with photography sooner than later. I very much believe that MF is finally going to go down in price and become part of many photographer's equipment. And it will be fun, as well. Unless they find a way to increase the flexibility of the FF sensor (dramatically), the MF sensor is here to stay.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:48:03 am »

Hi,

I am no fan or potential buyer of either the X1D or the GFX. That said I find these two systems very interesting for a few reasons:

Eric, I find your post well reasoned and I essentially agree with your assertions. However, I have a couple of comments to make.

These systems use modern, Sony based technology. So they will always have the 1.6 times the area advantage over the 24x36 mm Sony based competition.

Other factors remaining constant, the number of photons captured is proportional to the sensor area. Since the SNR is proportional to the square root of captured photo-electrons, the factor of 1.6x improves the SNR by only a factor of 1.26. This factor of 1.6 is considerably less than the difference between full frame 135 (24 x 36 mm) and APS (15.7 * 23.5 mm), where the factor is 2.34, resulting in a SNR factor of 1.53.

High end MFD obviously will always have an advantage, but 44x33 mm MFD may possibly be a sweet spot, where MFD is still affordable enough that customers will buy while offering advantages that may motivate the hight costs.

Sweet spot is rather subjective, and depends on ones needs and preferences. No less an authority of Ctein stated in an interview with Michael that he considered MTF (micro four thirds) to be a sweet spot, meeting his image quality needs for prints up to A2. As the technology of sensors (film and digital) has advanced, the trend has been to move to smaller sensors for portability and convenience.

So I find these both system very interesting. Not a potential buyer, right now, but a very interested bystander.

Same for me. I don't currently print beyond A2 and my Nikon D800e meets my needs, but I might upgrade to the D820 or whatever the D800e successor will be called in order to get electronic first shutter and other improvements.

Regards,

Bill

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »

....I don't currently print beyond A2 and my Nikon D800e meets my needs, but I might upgrade to the D820 or whatever the D800e successor will be called in order to get electronic first shutter and other improvements....

Regards,

Bill
Bill,
The successor of the d800E is called D810
It has a first curtain but you have to press the trigger twice and in between you lost sight.

I  the EFC very useful, but only in certain circumstances:
1 with a telelens:  the mirror+ shutter vibrates too much
2 with VR- it seems the shutter mirror slab is in conflict with the VR making it less useful. ( Nikon  F2.8 70-200 VRII and Nikkor F4  300PF VR - Tamron 1.8 85mm Vr)
so yes, it could be improved- it is not very handy to see nothing in a lot of circumstances)

I can do about 1/40s 66% and 1/80s 100% sharp images with the 300PF lens with EFC on + VR  - without EFC i have to use 1/320-1/640 to be sure.

What i like about the d810 in relation to the d800e..
far less shutternoise
a more refined image ( iso 64) - better color- slight ly more dynamic range.
split live view; so you can actually see the depth of field/ field curvature
better video ( perfect 1080 in my opinion)
the high iso quality is about the same

Back to the subject:
The Fuji seems a very interesting camera. That said, i think 24x36mm 36MP is enough for me at the moment.
I can tell about any story with that quality.
If i really need more i stitch. it is an improvement of more than a factor 1.26 and i do not need to buy anything.
Also i can get a quality beyond theoretical single lens limits.
and then:
I found out with my J5 that almost all my lenses can do about 100MP in the central area. Some even 135MP.

I am personally more interested in special lenses- like the nikon 105mm f1.4G .

Pieter Kers

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 02:30:21 am »

Hi Bill,

Good comments make for a good discussion, always appreciated.

I am aware of the suggestion by Ctein that 4/3 is good enough for A2-size prints. I never had 4/3, but for a long time I was using APS-C. Many of my best images were shot on 12 MP APS-C and those images make for beautiful A2-size prints.

But more is always better, isn't it? Getting myself a full frame camera at 24 MP resulted in a few experiments comparing A2-size prints from 12 MP APS-C and 24 MP full frame. Mostly the 24 MP full frame had a visible but not very obvious advantage but in one case I could not tell those A2-prints apart, regardless viewing distance.

Getting onto 39 MP MFD and comparing with 24 MP full frame the MFD system had a clear resolution advantage when pixel peeping on screen, using due scaling, but A2 prints were very close. With my vision, a loupe was needed to tell them apart. The differences were readily visible with the loupe, so detail was correctly transferred to print.

Printing at A1 the MFD has shown advantage.

With the A7rII I have now, the 42 MP A7rII is a good match for the 39 MP MFD. It is actually more up to the lenses. In the short end the three Zeiss Distagons I have owned would be no match for the excellent Canon 16-35/4L but the Sonnars would outperform all my long zooms, except the old 80-200/2.8 G APO.

But again, I made a crop representing A0 comparing the Canon 16-35/4L at 24 mm with the Distagon 40/4 CF FLE, the print was as merciless showing the weakness of the Distagon as pixel peeping on screen. That is the print was merciless when viewed close, say at 50 cm or. Moving back to say 100 cm the MFD image was a bit better. At 50 cm viewing distance it was not really acceptable in the area that was weak. I guess the MFD image delivered a bit higher MTF at low frequencies but lacked high frequency detail.

My take is that present 24x36 mm goes a long way regarding image quality when paired with very good or excellent lenses.

Personally, I prefer zooms, so I am not really into high quality single focals. Lenses like the Otuses would stretch 24x36 mm even a bit farther.

So, my take is that 24x36 is certainly good for a good bit beyond A2-size and probably be able to deliver good quality on A0.

But, a well designed MFD system in proper hands would outperform a 24x36 mm system. No doubt about that. The new 'G-format' systems use Sony sensors and I would guess that those sensors will be replaced by newer versions keeping up with Sony's smaller sensor designs.

One thing to keep in mind is that the X1D and GFX are priced just a bit higher than some high end 24x36 system, like Nikon D5, Canon 1DXII and foremost red dotted cameras and all the most expensive 24x36 mm systems have relatively low pixel counts. The 'pro' Canons and Nikons are built for speed. Regarding Leica, ask the red dot forums…

My impression is that the X1D lenses are priced a bit below Otus pricing. They obviously don't have f/1.4 or even f/2 apertures and they may or may not have fully corrected axial chroma…

Anyway, I think that you can get a lot of excellent image quality from those systems at prices you could very well spend on 24x36 mm, too. Especially the red dotted ones. If that image quality is needed or not is a different question but it is a worthwhile question.

Best regards
Erik

As a side note, I have a lot of red dots on my Sony A7rII, I bought a bunch of them from Avery for around 2$. On the A7II I have green dots. Just to be able to tell them apart.

Eric, I find your post well reasoned and I essentially agree with your assertions. However, I have a couple of comments to make.

Other factors remaining constant, the number of photons captured is proportional to the sensor area. Since the SNR is proportional to the square root of captured photo-electrons, the factor of 1.6x improves the SNR by only a factor of 1.26. This factor of 1.6 is considerably less than the difference between full frame 135 (24 x 36 mm) and APS (15.7 * 23.5 mm), where the factor is 2.34, resulting in a SNR factor of 1.53.

Sweet spot is rather subjective, and depends on ones needs and preferences. No less an authority of Ctein stated in an interview with Michael that he considered MTF (micro four thirds) to be a sweet spot, meeting his image quality needs for prints up to A2. As the technology of sensors (film and digital) has advanced, the trend has been to move to smaller sensors for portability and convenience.

Same for me. I don't currently print beyond A2 and my Nikon D800e meets my needs, but I might upgrade to the D820 or whatever the D800e successor will be called in order to get electronic first shutter and other improvements.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:29:10 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 05:32:39 am »

What I really hope these new camera systems do is blur the lines between medium format and other formats. It is a concept from a bygone era when we had three options: big sheet film 4x5 or larger, 135 or "medium format".

Look at the available options today: m4/3, APS-C, 135, 45x30, 44x33, 54x40. Each larger format, roughly speaking, picks up on the short side at the smaller format's long side. There is no cliff, wall or other dramatic change when going to "medium format", i.e. 135 to 45x30 or 44x33. Likewise there is no dramatic quality or other difference. The decision between 135 vs 44x33 involves exactly the same benefit-disadvantage analysis as APS-C vs 135.

The only dramatic difference has been cost, and the truth is Pentax blurred that several years ago. We are the ones who haven't caught up with the facts and continue to make out of date comparisons of "medium format vs xxx".

My hope is this marks the beginning of the end to the antiquated segregation we have in our heads of "medium format" and all the associated arguments around, "Is medium format worth it?" "Is there a compelling reason to use medium format?" "Can you see any difference in a print?" Etc, etc...

Dave

scyth

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:27:46 am »

No less an authority of Ctein stated in an interview with Michael that he considered MTF (micro four thirds) to be a sweet spot, meeting his image quality needs for prints up to A2.

and what is the sweet spot for people who don't print at all ;)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:44:22 am »

and what is the sweet spot for people who don't print at all ;)

That's a very good point, not a silly question. It's just another 'hangover' from the film days, when pretty much everything had to be turned into print, one way or the other; it was usually the final format for the images being made, as in commercial work.

For amateur prints, that's an entirely different kettle of fish often involving non-photographic priorities such as, for example, showing off bank balance etc. etc. and in that way providing a faux photo market for the jewellery purveyors. That some of that jewellery also performs damned well is not in question, but when it comes to telling the time, my Rolex and a Timex or Casio perform exactly the same job, the cheapies often better.

You pays your money according to your moods, possibilities and priorities... let's hope the choices remain viable.

Rob
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:58:56 am by Rob C »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 08:50:57 am »

I was surprised at how many photographers could not see the value of MF, unless you printed images. As someone who does not print images, but who also values the larger sensor MF format, I look forward to the X1D, the three announced lenses, and using it on a tripod. I will still use my Nikon D810 for other work.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 09:58:59 am »

Hi,

On one of my vacations I shot with a fisheye focused at 15 cm which happened to be a decent hyperfocal setting at f/16.

But, I was shooting at f/8, so everything was out of focus. But I never noticed on screen until I zoomed in. Even smart phone cameras are overqualified for small web size images...

Once we have large size 8K screens the situation will be different.

Best regards
Erik

That's a very good point, not a silly question. It's just another 'hangover' from the film days, when pretty much everything had to be turned into print, one way or the other; it was usually the final format for the images being made, as in commercial work.

For amateur prints, that's an entirely different kettle of fish often involving non-photographic priorities such as, for example, showing off bank balance etc. etc. and in that way providing a faux photo market for the jewellery purveyors. That some of that jewellery also performs damned well is not in question, but when it comes to telling the time, my Rolex and a Timex or Casio perform exactly the same job, the cheapies often better.

You pays your money according to your moods, possibilities and priorities... let's hope the choices remain viable.

Rob
Erik Kaffehr

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 10:10:52 am »

One that doesn't print, is by definition not doing or anything related to PHOTO-GRAPHY.... A photo-graph, can by definition only be the printed thing.

Using a camera, one doesn't mean that he is doing photo-graphy.... OTOH, photo-graphy (the printed thing) isn't related with anything that is printed coming out of a camera... but the print has to be the product out of a certain visualization process which includes directing and capturing as well as processing in order to achieve the result... (the photo-graph).

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:25:00 am »

One that doesn't print, is by definition not doing or anything related to PHOTO-GRAPHY.... A photo-graph, can by definition only be the printed thing.

Using a camera, one doesn't mean that he is doing photo-graphy.... OTOH, photo-graphy (the printed thing) isn't related with anything that is printed coming out of a camera... but the print has to be the product out of a certain visualization process which includes directing and capturing as well as processing in order to achieve the result... (the photo-graph).

One prints to the screen, of course.

Theodoros

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 10:31:36 am »

One prints to the screen, of course.

Opinions....

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 11:08:25 am »

Opinions....

And perfectly valid, too. But semantics are little to do with photography at the best of times. Photography's about pictures, wherever you decide put 'em once you've made 'em. Photography is making images with cameras; it's also about creating them from several different images; it's almost anything you want it to be except painting, because filters to ape paint are just deceptions. And photographs meant to ape paintings are generally not that successful either - they'd be better just made as paintings- if you can paint.

IMO

Rob

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:31:10 am »

Opinions....

Opinions? A good example why I don't spend much time on this forum. For the same money, we could actually be nice and discuss things. What's the problem?

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:39:38 am »

IMO, one has to decide if his screen is his enlarger projection in a digital darkroom as to provide a media to judge the final look of the photo-graph or not... Although different opinions are respected, I'll prefer to stick with A.Adams opinion/lesson as described in his very first chapter in his very first book, where the process of visualization is described as the fundamental behind photo-graphy and then to the FACT that no two screens will show the same out of a file.... Other than that, I don't remember A.Gursky or Gudelka or Bresson, or R. Kappa ever making an exhibition a screen (although I've seen some newcomers trying -unsuccessfully for their possible carrier- to do so), or will ever take web images seriously... Especially as the "product" can't be exhibited to its full detail (or it will be stolen) and its only visible to one (its creator) as a part of (before) the printing process.... As I said before, "opinions...." ...they are good for discussions, but then I hear clown-politicians having one and sadly people voting for them....

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 11:44:21 am »

IMO, one has to decide if his screen is his enlarger projection in a digital darkroom as to provide a media to judge the final look of the photo-graph or not... Although different opinions are respected, I'll prefer to stick with A.Adams opinion/lesson as described in his very first chapter in his very first book, where the process of visualization is described as the fundamental behind photo-graphy and then to the FACT that no two screens will show the same out of a file.... Other than that, I don't remember A.Gursky or Gudelka or Bresson, or R. Kappa ever making an exhibition a screen (although I've seen some newcomers trying -unsuccessfully for their possible carrier- to do so), or will ever take web images seriously... Especially as the "product" can't be exhibited to its full detail (or it will be stolen) and its only visible to one (its creator) as a part of (before) the printing process.... As I said before, "opinions...." ...they are good for discussions, but then I hear clown-politicians having one and sadly people voting for them....

I am sorry, but this is your opinion, not a fact (except perhaps historically, which is not NOW), and not worth the screen it is printed on.

Theodoros

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 11:47:04 am »

I am sorry, but this is your opinion, not a fact (except perhaps historically, which is not NOW), and not worth the screen it is printed on.

My opinion doesn't worth the ...screen it is printed on? ....Yes, I agree with your "opinion"... you should change your screen!  ;D Some logic... some logic...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 11:51:38 am »

I have been around here now and then, so I have seen your comments before. Some of what you right is useful, but as often as not, IMO, you amount to being a bully. You could do better than this with your knowledge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up