Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ1-100  (Read 3068 times)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Phase One IQ1-100
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:53:55 pm »

Many will remember that Phase introduced a new 100-megapixel back in September.  Not using a tech cam anymore I just couldn't see the extra money being spent for added features I no longer need and had opted to wait until I might find a used IQ3-100 however with the release of the IQ1-100 the wait is over.  8-days from ordering to delivery not too shabby for a newish product.

Don

voidshatter

Re: Phase One IQ1-100
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »

You don't need the electronic shutter of the IQ3 100MP (if it's not available to the IQ1 100MP)?

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:02:14 pm »

One glance at the wonderful images produced by @Don Libby and it's quite obvious that he's choosing the best tool for his images.  Looking forward to see even more stunning images from the too tall Don.
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 10:52:36 pm »

You don't need the electronic shutter of the IQ3 100MP (if it's not available to the IQ1 100MP)?

I stopped using a tech camera about a year ago so I feel I don't need nor would use the ES option.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:53:44 pm »

One glance at the wonderful images produced by @Don Libby and it's quite obvious that he's choosing the best tool for his images.  Looking forward to see even more stunning images from the too tall Don.

Thank you Jeffery for the very kind words

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:13:50 am »

Congrats on the new back, I'm still amazed at how much difference 20mp is making on some of my shots.

I don't think I could manage without the wifi at this point.  I rarely even look at the back anymore when shooting.  In fact I rarely even touch the camera once I get the composition set. But I'll admit pretty expensive difference just to get the wifi.  I also find myself defaulting to my tech camera more often, since it's so easy to setup using the wifi and now with ES the tech is really nice and much lighter than my XF. 

I've been wondering if it's simply a firmware cripple (meaning it could be upgraded to a 3).  I assume they also left some parts out of the internal circuitry.  Not that those parts cost the price difference.  But not surprising they are shipping them so quickly, just crippling a 3.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:48:04 pm by Wayne Fox »

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 10:22:32 am »

The difference between the IQ180 used to be much larger when the XF and IQ2 was first launched however it got slimmer with the #2 firmware update and again with #3.  I will never be able to have wifi with any IQ1 as that is more than simple firmware likewise HDMI.  Sitting here waiting for the coffee to be ready so memory might be off however power sharing, full integration of back and body are still lacking.  I don't need power sharing as I've been using the newer larger batteries and find they last.  As with full integration, the one thing that sticks out is I am unable to change ISO off the top LCD and still must change it directly off the back.  I am very pleased with everything else however.  I never needed WIFI as I tethered to a Surface Pro when I shot with my Cambo and again since I no longer have the Cambo I still can't see the need for HDMI.

Wayne, we can do a side by side comparison next April in Bluff!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 11:08:02 am »

Hi Don.
Congratulations on the 100.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how well power share works. It's one feature that doesn't get much mention. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

william

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 11:27:49 am »

"I don't need power sharing as I've been using the newer larger batteries and find they last."

Do tell: what new larger batteries do you speak of?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 11:30:17 am »

"I don't need power sharing as I've been using the newer larger batteries and find they last."

Do tell: what new larger batteries do you speak of?

Current Phase One batteries are 3400mAh and are the only ones we suggest for modern Phase One backs (IQ/XF), both because they last longer, and because older batteries or 3rd party batteries can cause instabilities or may not perfectly fit.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:06 am »

Current Phase One batteries are 3400mAh and are the only ones we suggest for modern Phase One backs (IQ/XF), both because they last longer, and because older batteries or 3rd party batteries can cause instabilities or may not perfectly fit.

Not that Doug and DT refer to us specifically, but to avoid any confusion and to provide complete clarity;

We also recommend 3400mAh lithium batteries for IQ/XF products.

However, as a company, we have a tradition of being open to exploring the best options for our clients. We regularly evaluate alternative solutions for our clients, like firewire or USB cables, LCC solutions, Sensor Cleaning Kits, and yes, digital back batteries.

https://www.digitalback.com/product-category/1-phase-one/2-phase-one-accessories/
https://www.digitalback.com/product-category/0-digitalbackcom/

We currently sell a Phase One branded 3400mAh lithium battery and a 3rd party 3400mAh lithium battery for IQ digital back/XF cameras. The Phase One batteries and other accessories are excellent, and we are happy to provide those to our clients. But the alternative products we offer are excellent as well.

We have had zero problems with the current 3rd party batteries we offer, and we see zero difference between the Phase One branded battery and the newer black version 3rd party batteries we offer. Some years back, we sold a silver 3rd party battery and discovered some fit issues over time and we discontinued those products. 

We're not making a statement that someone should cheap out on power sources. After all, it is a substantially expensive camera system. We simply offer the alternative as well as the company branded. But we only do so after intensive vetting of the quality and reliability of the product.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »

What would be nice to see would be a 4500 to 5000 millamp battery. Not sure the tech is there yet.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

william

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 12:55:55 pm »

Thanks for all the responses re: batteries. 

I have the 3400mah batteries, so I have the "new larger" batteries referred to by the OP.  Wasn't aware that those are recent/newer, because I'd been out of Phase One systems for quite some time until recently with the XF/IQ3100. 

While I do find the power provided by the 3400s to be adequate, especially with power sharing, I'd sure like to see a higher power/longer lasting battery, so that - at least with the power sharing feature - I don't even have to think about power levels (which is the case now with my Nikons: no matter what kind of shoot I have planned, once the batteries are fully charged, I know I don't even have to think about power levels while shooting).  I fully realize that medium format backs and bodies are very power hungry, so there may not yet even be a battery solution that provides a duration of battery power equivalent to the small Nikons.  But right now, I have 8 of the 3400 batteries and feel the need to keep them all charged at all times and to keep *at least* two backup batteries (in addition to the 2 in the camera) on hand during a shoot.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 03:50:45 pm »

Wayne, we can do a side by side comparison next April in Bluff!
Looking forward to it :)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 04:30:38 pm »

Sorry, my bad.  I keep calling the batteries "new" and "larger".  Many thanks to Doug and Steve for helping to remove my feet from my mouth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up