seamus finn

Hats
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:08:23 pm »

-

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Hats
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 08:15:23 pm »

Simply wonderful. I'm intrigued by the reflection of the terrace house... where is this?

degrub

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 08:54:13 pm »

indeed, wonderful on several levels.
When i first saw it, i thought the title was "bums"...
Frank

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »

Hats? What hats?

Nice shot. Perhaps titled: "Bums and Reds"? 😉

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:48:25 am »

Simply wonderful. I'm intrigued by the reflection of the terrace house... where is this?

Sydney.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:42:01 am »

Why is it that some guys can define street in every shot they make?

Lovely, Seamus.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 10:13:42 am »

Lovely, Seamus.

Rob
(Note to self: In my book I've got to get specific and announce that every photo was taken in the Western Hemisphere.)

It is lovely, Seamus.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:30:29 am »

Fine shot, Seamus. Interesting butt.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 10:37:03 am »

I will happily join in the accolade.

seamus finn

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 02:19:19 pm »

Thanks, all.

seamus finn

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 05:36:36 pm »

Lovely, Seamus.

Rob

I wish it were so, Rob.

The truth  - you can reference Russ on this -  is that most street shots are failures, and that goes for the vast majority of my own.  I'd go so far as to suggest that most images taken OUTSIDE the controlled environment of a studio, are flops too. And even then, you're in the lap of the Gods.

One thing I've learned over the years is to be careful about what you delete or reject. Sometimes, after a considerable time. it pays to trawl through your stuff and have a second or third look.

A picture taken and rejected a year ago can assume magical properties twelve months or more later with the benefit of 'historical perspective', for want of a better phrase - not to mention the crop you might have hastily and unwisely applied in the first place.

Pressing the  RESET button can often open a whole new perspective. It means you get rid of the immediate emotional attachment to a picture and see it objectively for what it really really is.

When in doubt, press the RESET button and start from scratch.

Of course, in this age of instant communication, that's a hard act to sell.

But I wouldn't recommend it as a way to make a living and raise a family!

And now I'm embarrassed - preaching like a prig to somebody of such enormous repute such as yourself.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:59:24 pm by seamus finn »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 04:17:17 am »

I wish it were so, Rob.

The truth  - you can reference Russ on this -  is that most street shots are failures, and that goes for the vast majority of my own.  I'd go so far as to suggest that most images taken OUTSIDE the controlled environment of a studio, are flops too. And even then, you're in the lap of the Gods.

One thing I've learned over the years is to be careful about what you delete or reject. Sometimes, after a considerable time. it pays to trawl through your stuff and have a second or third look.

A picture taken and rejected a year ago can assume magical properties twelve months or more later with the benefit of 'historical perspective', for want of a better phrase - not to mention the crop you might have hastily and unwisely applied in the first place.

Pressing the  RESET button can often open a whole new perspective. It means you get rid of the immediate emotional attachment to a picture and see it objectively for what it really really is.

When in doubt, press the RESET button and start from scratch.

Of course, in this age of instant communication, that's a hard act to sell.

But I wouldn't recommend it as a way to make a living and raise a family!

And now I'm embarrassed - preaching like a prig to somebody of such enormous repute such as yourself.

"And now I'm embarrassed - preaching like a prig to somebody of such enormous repute such as yourself."

ROFL! Repute ends with your last commission!

However, your advice is perfectly valid and I have found it so in my own case several times over. The thing is, when you're hot from a shoot you think what you imagined is what you produced, and it ain't necessarily so. Only you can't see that yet. One of the most important things about it is that, later, you can realise that where you have been going wrong is in the accentuations in the way you 'print' the mage. For an extreme example, you may think it looks good as high key, only to discover, even possibly by accident, that no, you need to create lots of darkness around the actual subject part... it happens, as the current US election debating stuff shows; often, the more darkness the better!

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 06:06:53 am »

Sydney.

Ah hah, my instincts are better than I thought. Inner west? I grew up in Concord, school in Ashfield, lived 6 years in Lewisham and can probably still recite in order all the train stations from Central to Strathfield...

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 06:47:33 am »

Ah hah, my instincts are better than I thought. Inner west? I grew up in Concord, school in Ashfield, lived 6 years in Lewisham and can probably still recite in order all the train stations from Central to Strathfield...

But I bet you would never learn to memorise the plan of the London tubes! However, we all learn, quite on our own, how to end up in Cockfosters, with or without a ticket!

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 12:15:05 pm »

The Sydney rail network is a bit gob-smacking actually: they are real trains, there is no metro, and the stations are quite spread out. But... it's huge. Looking at the map you have the impression of something as big as the Tube or the Paris Metro... except it's 70km across...

I knew my little corner of it, is all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up