Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One is cropping my images  (Read 8449 times)

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
Capture One is cropping my images
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:26:46 am »

Does anyone have any idea why Capture One would be cropping each side off all of my images. It's not apparent until the crop tool is selected. I have crop set to 'original'

Screen grab Here

Thanks.
Dog shouterer, professional pedant.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One is cropping my images
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:04:40 am »

Does anyone have any idea why Capture One would be cropping each side off all of my images. It's not apparent until the crop tool is selected. I have crop set to 'original'

Hi Kim,

It's caused by the Lens profile choice in the Lens Correction panel. When you set it to generic, instead of the lens that was detected, you'll be able to select the full image dimensions, but with distortion, CA, etc. remaining uncorrected.

If you want to keep (most of) the lens profile in play, but still want to use a bit more of the original sensor real estate, you can reduce the distortion correction slider somewhat and re-adjust the cropping perimeter. For the full sensor area, you can reduce distortion correction to 0%, that would still leave CA correction intact I suppose, but it would be wise to do an additional manual CA calibration on a per file basis.

In many cases, distortion correction is not really necessary unless one shoots critical infrastructure or subjects with straight lines. Capture One version 9 has greatly improved interpolation algorithms, so small distortion/rotation/keystone resampling amounts do not lose as much quality as in some other applications, but applying none if it's not necessary might still maintain a slightly higher per pixel quality.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:30:17 am »

Hi,

In addition to Bart's suggestions, the crop might be due to the option "Hide Distorted Areas" in the lens correction panel. If that is the case, untick the box.

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 07:31:34 am »

That's what it was. It's misleading because it looks like the aspect ratio has been changed.

thanks for the input.
Dog shouterer, professional pedant.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:46:25 am »

In addition to Bart's suggestions, the crop might be due to the option "Hide Distorted Areas" in the lens correction panel. If that is the case, untick the box.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, I was a bit rushed. In addition, one can sometimes check the "Crop outside image" option to create some more empty space for Context-Aware fill operations in Photoshop.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

IanSeward

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 06:54:10 am »

Hi Kim,

It's caused by the Lens profile choice in the Lens Correction panel. When you set it to generic, instead of the lens that was detected, you'll be able to select the full image dimensions, but with distortion, CA, etc. remaining uncorrected.

If you want to keep (most of) the lens profile in play, but still want to use a bit more of the original sensor real estate, you can reduce the distortion correction slider somewhat and re-adjust the cropping perimeter. For the full sensor area, you can reduce distortion correction to 0%, that would still leave CA correction intact I suppose, but it would be wise to do an additional manual CA calibration on a per file basis.

In many cases, distortion correction is not really necessary unless one shoots critical infrastructure or subjects with straight lines. Capture One version 9 has greatly improved interpolation algorithms, so small distortion/rotation/keystone resampling amounts do not lose as much quality as in some other applications, but applying none if it's not necessary might still maintain a slightly higher per pixel quality.

Cheers,
Bart

If Sony are doing the same as with mft then the cropped image is the same as the in camera jpg and this information is encoded in the raw file.  C1Pro and DXO allow you to access the true optical lens FOV, so you just gained a wider angle lens by using C1:-).  Can be useful sometimes.

Ian

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 12:17:05 pm »

Its pretty old problem, not treated by PO as a problem.
For all non-pincushion distortion correction C1 crops more than needed.
Nobody knows why.
Pages: [1]   Go Up