Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson vs Epson Platine - cost  (Read 2526 times)

afterimages

Canson vs Epson Platine - cost
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:27:51 am »

I am leery of posting with 'vs' in the title, but...

I am ready to order some 13x19 paper for the P800 to use up some Gatorfoam in that size. Looking at B&H, I see Canson at $99 and Epson Legacy at $129 (25 sheets). ~30% difference.

Any quality reason why Epson should be so much more? Unless otherwise advised, I guess I should stick with Canson. I did print the Epson Legacy sample pack a few months ago and liked the paper very much.

Am I missing something here?

rick

johnATshadesofpaper

Re: Canson vs Epson Platine - cost
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:30:25 am »

Rick,

If you get 3 boxes of the epson they are running a rebate this month. Buy 3 get a rebate back for 1 box. In the end making it buy 2 get 1 free. That is the value play with the epson.
John Ferriola
856-787-9200
www.shadesofpaper.com

sjphotos

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:46:28 am »

Long time user of Canson's Platine paper, Mostly in larger sizes, 17x22 and 24 inch rolls. I have recently discovered Red River's  Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag. It is 100% cotton rag and no optical brighteners, and almost the same if not identical surface. A matter of fact I like it even more. It seems to hold its shape better in with less curl. I find it to be a superior paper. You may want to give it a try. 25 sheets 13x19 for $77.00.

tonyrom

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:06:44 pm »

Rick, the papers are made by Canson for Epson (Epson notes: made in France).  This is confirmed by a colleague of mine who has in roads with Epson.  There maybe an ever so slight variation on the coating.  But looking at the profiles, it barely noticeable and maybe be different due to batch runs.

Epson does have a promotion so the cost is offset favors Epson with the Promo.  But overall, Canson is cheaper. 

-tony 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:55:50 pm »

The Platines and look-a-likes at least have an inkjet coating on top that was done by Felix Schoeller. Most likely applied in the Weissenborn plant;
http://www.felix-schoeller.com/en_en/company/profile/sites.html 
I would not be surprised if all of them are actually made there, possibly with slight alterations to the base etc. A country mentioned on packaging can mean anything but usually indicates where the mammoth rolls are cut to usable sizes.

This topic has been discussed before.
Edit; and this link as well
http://www.printingnews.com/press_release/12156767/excellent-cooperation-the-felix-schoeller-group-and-canson-win-the-franco-german-business-award

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:28:54 am by Ernst Dinkla »

afterimages

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 08:14:29 am »

Thanks for the comments. FWIW, I ordered 25 from Red River Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag. I guess I'll see...

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:53:03 pm »

I find it amusing that both the Epson legacy and Canson papers use the same green end-sheet in the package and square "print face up" sticker...

Mike

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 01:04:26 pm »

Just a coincidence.  (sarcasm)  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up