Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC-P6000 non OEM inks  (Read 5015 times)

DryAxE

Epson SC-P6000 non OEM inks
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:06:05 am »

Hi all,

Epson SC-P6000 has been with us almost a year, are there any good solutions for bulk ink systems or refillable cartridges? There is a lot of stuff for SP7890 on market but i suppose they are not compatible or are they?

deanwork

Re: Epson SC-P6000 non OEM inks
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:24:57 pm »

My understanding is Epson has spent a lot of time and effort preventing the use of third party chipped ink carts on the new printers. The carats that have been made from China are not working. They have put something on the mainboard to prevent use of anything but programmed Epson ink carts. So, at least for the time being it's not possible.

Hi all,

Epson SC-P6000 has been with us almost a year, are there any good solutions for bulk ink systems or refillable cartridges? There is a lot of stuff for SP7890 on market but i suppose they are not compatible or are they?

JonCone

• InkjetMall
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:39 am »

Only the USA versions of the EPSON SC P-800, SC P-6000, SC P-7000, SC P-8000, and SC P-9000 prevent the use of 3rd party cartridges.  The European and Asian models can be imported and used with 3rd party cartridges provided you use a step-up voltage transformer.

The USA models track chip IDs. I understand that there are at least 30 different chip IDs for each color position. An OEM cartridge user's chance of installing a duplicate set of chip IDs is less than one in a billion. A 3rd party cartridge users chance is 100%. The user can install 3rd party cartridges, but the first time the chip auto-resets, or is reset by resetter, the printer locks out the user from using 3rd party carts because that combo of chip IDs was previously used. This is a permanent lockout. Epson indicated during the release of these printers in the NA market that they were designed to only work with OEM carts. It says this clearly on their website and NA brochures.

There does not appear to be a way to produce a resetting scheme that incrementally also changes the chip ID. The OEM chips have a huge amount of extraneous code on them - and it will take many engineering man hours to find code which can be overwritten without causing the printer to reject it. So, do not expect a fix to this any time soon from 3rd party. Will be miraculous when it does occur though from what has been indicated to me.

HP recently locked their inkjet printers. HP consumers were really upset and they were able to force HP into issuing a firmware update to unlock their inkjet printers. HP now faces four separate class-action suits from consumers which may become consolidated into one. These suits allege HP violated consumer-protection laws and U.S. antitrust laws. This is a clear example of what happens when consumers help themselves.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:45:44 pm by JonCone »
Jon Cone
Head guru at Piezography; Master Printer at Cone Editions Press; CTO at Vermont PhotoInkjet; Product Development at InkjetMall

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 12:23:25 pm »

I won't be buying any new Epson printers anyway if it is true what I'm hearing that their new head designs clog and waste ink just as much as the last series. So much for the word "virtually" ( no clogs ).

Wondering if the HP Z series machines that are out there can no longer use the third party carts available?

Probably if everyone started trying to use alternative inks in the Canons they would lock us out too. That is how they make money after all.

john

JeffS

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 02:45:04 pm »

I won't be buying any new Epson printers anyway if it is true what I'm hearing that their new head designs clog and waste ink just as much as the last series. So much for the word "virtually" ( no clogs ).

john

Not a problem for the 3800, 3880 and now the P800....at least based on my experience and that of others I know or have read about.

Jeff

JonCone

• InkjetMall
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:58:44 pm »

It is a problem on the P-800. Especially so. No one in the USA should be selling carts into them. They work when first installed, but will stop once the first charge of ink is used and a chip auto-resets. But this only applies to USA P-800 printers. The EU and Asia models are unlocked.

The 3800 and 3880 have worked for years.
Jon Cone
Head guru at Piezography; Master Printer at Cone Editions Press; CTO at Vermont PhotoInkjet; Product Development at InkjetMall

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 03:21:14 pm »

I think he was referring to my bitching that they apparently haven't solved their clog problems with the Epson large format printers.

It is a problem on the P-800. Especially so. No one in the USA should be selling carts into them. They work when first installed, but will stop once the first charge of ink is used and a chip auto-resets. But this only applies to USA P-800 printers. The EU and Asia models are unlocked.

JonCone

• InkjetMall
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »

I think he was referring to my bitching that they apparently haven't solved their clog problems with the Epson large format printers.

HA!   so funny...   

Always run a humidifier at 40%rH. Install a prayer mat, they do work. Put up a few printing gods made from coconuts but remove the clothing and sunglasses (you can buy these at Florida Interstate Rest areas). Do not bring a rubber mallet to work ever. Keep your capping station and wiper blade clean. Put in a new ink exchanger at least every two years. Learn to curse in three different languages using one word from each in a single phrase. Walk away from it for at least 24 hours when it's being belligerent. Leave out a Canon brochure near it and mutter (not say) something under your breath.

All or some of these things have worked in my experience.
Jon Cone

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:31 pm »

My wife says wow, it's so nice that you don't curse all day down in the studio like you used to. And I said, that stopped when I bought the HP and Canon printers. No more continuous fits of cursing.

Actually a couple of years AFTER I lost two channels of my 9890 I found something that works pretty damn well for me ( on the remaining 6 channels ) that is, every week dab the capping station with distilled water and keep the machine covered. Since then that printer has been very nice to me, BUT that is with Piezogaphy NOT Epson color inks that always clogged the worst for me on all the printers.

john

HA!   so funny...   

Always run a humidifier at 40%rH. Install a prayer mat, they do work. Put up a few printing gods made from coconuts but remove the clothing and sunglasses (you can buy these at Florida Interstate Rest areas). Do not bring a rubber mallet to work ever. Keep your capping station and wiper blade clean. Put in a new ink exchanger at least every two years. Learn to curse in three different languages using one word from each in a single phrase. Walk away from it for at least 24 hours when it's being belligerent. Leave out a Canon brochure near it and mutter (not say) something under your breath.

All or some of these things have worked in my experience.

JeffS

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:02:04 pm »

I was referring to the standard Epson ink set, not yours or other third party inks.

This is contrary to experiences using the Epson 4900.....clogs with Epson inks are notorious.  It may not be coincidental that this is the only Epson printer I can think of that doesn't have a new SureColor counterpart.

Jeff

unesco

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »

Quote from: JeffS

This is contrary to experiences using the Epson 4900.....clogs with Epson inks are notorious.  It may not be coincidental that this is the only Epson printer I can think of that doesn't have a new SureColor counterpart.

It has, It was just announced: SC-P5000. :-)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 08:16:53 pm »

I’ve done 5 single channel cleans in one year now with the p9000.  All of them were for a single missing nozzle or two, I could have elected to print anyway because most likely it wouldn’t be detectable on the print. That’s pretty insignificant.  My 9900 in 5 years only required one new maintenance tank.  My p800 has never had a clog.

All of these printers will operate better if humidity and cleanliness of the environment is controlled.  My ipf6100 printer went through 3 heads in two years.  No way have I used anywhere near that much value in ink maintaining the Epsons. But I ‘ve been careful to maintain humidity with the Epsons, guessing the Canon would have benefited and the heads lasted much longer given the same care.

We currently have one p20000 installation and the user is delighted, says no cleanings required since it was installed.  We have another installation for a p20000 next Thursday. Will be closing monitoring these since I want to replace my 11880 with a p20000.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:24:31 am by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up